Rumor: Don't be looking for an iphone on Verizon anytime soon

diogen said:
... or strategically planted.
The mother of all rumours, Wall Street Journal, claimed the iPad will be around $900 when introduced.
And this (mis)information was fed to them not by accident...

Diogen.

And what do people pay for the 3G with 64gigs? :)

I was first to report the latest schedule here but that was just some insider info from a verizon manager. I repeat, the production schedule for iPhone CDMA is to commence in September, not the sales of the iphone, the actual sales in January and LTE version on all carriers next June. I agree with you that rumors on the web have been mostly one site repeating what another website reported thus to just drive web traffic.

Would be cool if Apple changes the production to include the LTE radios in the first release for January.

I am not sure if your source is totally accurate but it is a s credible as any thing at this point. I will just say that lots of simialr storeies have been pased around but proven to be inaccurate. As for LTE in January it makes sense to me. I have no idea why anyone except the fanboys would buy the phone then without LTE since the rollout is expected so soon thereafter.

Geronimo- What impressed me was this was the first time I got info like this from a Verizon store manager. Plus he said he was given a schedule for classes on the new iphone he was to attend in December. Considering, a production schedule of September, I do question if the January release will have LTE but it would be nice if it does. All I was told was this version will have the CDMA radio. It would be interesting to see if those bloggers who are dissecting the iphone4 have determined if the existing GSM radio is easily swappable. If Apple has indeed made plans to go Verizon this soon, I would think they made the iphone4 with an easily swappable radio module in this design.

One thing is certain, if Apple wants to grow, they need to open their sales to more than just one crippled carrier. Then, they will need to consider more than just Best Buy as satellite store outlets. I see Walmart, Target, and the office supply stores coming but that's just my crystal ball.

mperdue- True but past rumors were started after someone dug up a supposed official document stating how lond the exclusive agreement was for and it was all based on extrapolation as to when the exclusive with AT*T expired. These recent reports are now based on some unnamed source inside Verizon. It also seems coincidental that a few days earlier from the dates of the Bloomberg et al reports, that a Verizon store manager made similar claims; a few days before the public announcements. Therefore this seems different from all past rumors. Is it credible? who knows, just coincidental so far.

Last edited:
One thing is certain, if Apple wants to grow, they need to open their sales to more than just one crippled carrier. Then, they will need to consider more than just Best Buy as satellite store outlets. I see Walmart, Target, and the office supply stores coming but that's just my crystal ball.

They already sell at more than just Best Buy. You can already purchase the $199 version at Walmart.

DL- So I wonder what your contact has to say, now that there's an ad by Verizon dissing the iPhone?

And move to other carriers, overloading and crippling them, too? In 2 or 3 years this might all be a fading memory.

DL- So I wonder what your contact has to say, now that there's an ad by Verizon dissing the iPhone?

And move to other carriers, overloading and crippling them, too? In 2 or 3 years this might all be a fading memory.

Speaking of which....

droidx-full-page-ad1.jpg

navychop said:

First off you are reading stuff in that ad that doesn't exist and you also believe that just because verizon is getting ready to carry the top selling phone in the world next year that it shouldn't be allowed to advertise what it is offering this year. Where do you come up with this stupid set of information? Where in that ad does it target apple or even AT&T ? It's all subtle advertising making claims that this unfieldtested phone will do better than the inferred iPhone. That is if you want to believe your story without the benefit of evidence. I see nothing wrong with the ad. I see nothing in that ad that would make the claim verizon will never get the iPhone as many are claiming will happen next year.

Additionally, I see no evidence that Sprint will get the iPhone before it is manufactured, as one blogger now claims.

finally, the verizon store manager is still pushing, heavily, android and blackberry devices he now has in store. He only told me about the iPhone because I mentioned that my wife will be upgrading that LG env3 to an iPhone when verizon finally gets it. When he told me this new information he had just received from verizon corporate, it was 3 days before any of the bloggers started discussion with the latest rumors on when verizon will get the iPhone. What fascinates me is why any of this bothers you people, especially the Apple haters. All it is is just rumor and advertising. Neither are usually associated with facts and truth. :)

I do like my iTouch but not sure I really want an iPhone. With my current Phone Moto Droid and the recent Droid Incredible, coming soon Droid X and Droid 2 not sure why the push now. But then again everyone has there opinions. I know people that swear by the iPhone they just prefer less dropped calls.

A sober - if not pessimistic - look on the chances and consequences of the iPhone being introduced by Verizon
Switched On: Getting real about a phone that's not (part 1) -- Engadget
For this reason, the notion of a Verizon iPhone remains one of the hottest rumors in the industry, with many assuming that it would cause a fundamental shift in the competitive landscape. But there are many reasons that a Verizon iPhone may take years to arrive -- if it ever does -- and may not create nearly the disruption that it has on AT&T.

Always reminds me the rumors (running for years) that Dell is just about to ditch Intel exclusivity and use AMD.
When this eventually happened, it was a non-event.

Diogen.

It is possible that Apple/VZ might never reach an agreement when the Apple/ATT agreement expires. VZ does not like being a dumb pipe, look at what they are trying to do with android.

Another day - another iPhone on Verizon spiel.
This time from Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg himself (Goldman Sachs conference):
Verizon CEO talks (more) about iPhone: 'we have to earn it' -- Engadget
"We don't feel like we have an iPhone deficit. We would love to carry it when we get there, but we have to earn it," Seidenberg said, walking a fine line between complimenting the phone and making it clear that Verizon still has a good lineup...
Interesting...

I believe the rumors that neither ATT nor Apple are happy with the current state of affairs.
Sure, they both made quite a bit of $$$ over the 3+ years of iPhone exclusivity, but the sorry state of the
network (every network in NA) is becoming a serious bottleneck. And that makes neither side too excited about tomorrow...

The day when neither iPhone nor Android and WP7 consumers have to worry about the carriers chopping of
features of the handsets (e.g. tethering) and unlimited plans won't need fine print footnotes attached can't come soon enough...

And the network that gets there first will have the upper hand, I think.
If Verizon gets there before getting the iPhone, they might end up dictating the deal with Apple.
Because the desperate party won't be them...

It has been just a year (almost to the day) since Verizon introduced its Droid Android set
Verizon's big ad push for Android takes on iPhone - USATODAY.com
Another year like that and they will be making Apple a favor selling iPhones...:)

Apple's timing is off lately. They spent 18 months negotiating with Facebook to be integrated with Ping
Ping, Facebook integration fell apart after 18 months of talks
and in the last moment the deal fell apart
All Things D: Facebook blocked Apple's Ping service for unauthorized use -- Engadget
Business Insider notes that Facebook as a company has become more difficult to work with of late due to the company's growing influence in social networking and its increasing user base.
Maybe they should hurry as long as iPhone is hot...

Diogen.

Last edited:
Investors are anticipating the rumors are true about a January announcement. The CDMA / LTE chip orders rumors and December delivery from Apple appeared to be the turning point in the stocks' increases. Apple has broken through it's 200 day moving average high and is climbing to new levels ( but this could also be due to the new ipod offerings) However, I have also observed a stock price increase of Verizon at a rate double the AT&T rate increase. Usually both these companies track each other much closer. Some surveys have indicated 50% of iphone AT&T customers will jump ship when Verizon gets the iphone. AT&T feels the number will be much less.
I think Verizon will get caught unprepared for the rapid increase in data on their network and it will trigger many complaints. Should be very interesting year.

Sometime might benefit AT&T the most...

Having milked the novelty of the iconic smartphone and by then selling Samsung's Android Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab as
well as 5 Windows Phone 7 handsets might make them more money than (allegedly) the $$ hit from loosing iPhone exclusivity...

Diogen.

Losing iphone exclusive won't be an AT&T killer, agreed. Instead, I look for it to be a buying opportunity for me to get back into AT&T stock. I just sold out mine and now wait for it to cycle back down. I suspect it will lose only about $5 a share with the exclusivity loss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)