Rumor: Launch Dates for Directv Locals HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As soon as someone gets the new 5-LNB dish please post pics here! Cant wait to see it!

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
No price on the 5 LNB dish as of yet, but every HD customer will be upgraded at no charge, with another 2 yr. programming commitment.

-Robert

Great news on the upgrade. I have a question that I hope you can answer and the question is I have 3 dishes now because of tree problems what do you think is going to happen with the 110 and 119 will I need those anymore and can they be incorporated into the new multiswitch?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The county/zip list is the complete list of the communities that are in the Detroit DMA. These are the lucky few areas that will have DIRECTV soft early launch of the new MPEG-4 HD LIL programming and new H20 and 5 LNB PLUS dish system.

-Robert

The unlucky gineau pigs you mean?

I wouldnt want any part of that...

I'm in the Detroit area (48124). I sure hope the new HD programming via MPEG-4 and the new birds is on 99 and 103 and not on 119, which I can't get very well.

Any word if the HD content will be on the new birds? Will 119 just have the foreign channel programming?

The *new* HD content will be on 99 or 103. Anything national is a guess at this point. They could simulcast the national stuff in MPEG4 from day one, if they choose to. I'd hope so, as this could show the benefits of MPEG4 with better bandwidth.

All a guess until D* opens up, though...

Let me try this question again

OK, I'm a simple man and maybe this is a simple question, but...

If we all need new receivers for MPEG4 and they do not have HDDVR's ready for MPEG4. Doesn't that mean that those of us with the 10-250 in the Detroit area are going to be waiting a long time for the upgrade?

Kentstater72 said:

If we all need new receivers for MPEG4 and they do not have HDDVR's ready for MPEG4. Doesn't that mean that those of us with the 10-250 in the Detroit area are going to be waiting a long time for the upgrade?

I would assume so. Probably Spring 06 from what I have read.

Kentstater72 said:

Detroit is supposed to be the first (test) market.

It means that if you choose to upgrade immediately, you won't have an HDDVR. That might not be a bad choice, if you can upgrade again for free when the HDDVR is available early next year.

let's see what kind of response i get here. a tech who has been with the company since day 1 was at my house earlier today to tweak my dish. he was driving a brand-new van in time for the roll-out. told me a bunch of other things including:

mpeg4 equipment is available and has been for awhile
markets are not cast in stone until the launch in november and could be subject to change
new dish and receiver costs $1,000, doesn't think they would do a free swap out without a 2-year commitment
d is going after new subscribers first, much like the original hi-def rollout...we may find out 3 months after

d is intentionally keeping tight lipped about this

this is my second go round with them and my first year is up in early november. as a retired reporter, what he said makes sense, my hunch

basically, he said when the installer shows up at your house, you'll know everything is good to go

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I think we will see the next generation HD DVR by the end of this year or January at the latest.

-Robert

I hope you are right but I would bet against you. If it made it into 1st Quarter I would be happy. Where's the H20 and R15?

You'll get the same response.. like I and the others have said over at the other place..

Do some research and you'll find out the 12 markets are "set in stone". The order in which they are released to the public for broadcast are not.

Whould you care to explain the original hi-def rollout?

And what does a new van have to do with the rollout? You think that van has some special power or something over the new receivers he may be installing during the rollout?

icetukee said:
d is intentionally keeping tight lipped about this

Then how come the tech knows so much..

And you might want to ask your tech next time what company he works for because 90 - 95 % of the time they are sub-contractors and not D* employees ", as you claim, "he's been with the company since before its inception"

iceturkee said:
let's see what kind of response i get here. a tech who has been with the company since day 1 was at my house earlier today to tweak my dish. he was driving a brand-new van in time for the roll-out. told me a bunch of other things including:

You're taking the word of someone how's been with the company since day 1 and STILL hasn't gotten promoted?! :cool:

How long has D* been in business? :confused:

in the business, we call it an off-the-record conversation or must i explain this to you too. and, btw, i'm not a dude!!

BSchneider......You may be on to something...I have always thought that my van had special powers. Funny how I keep seeing posts on information coming from techs. My experience is that the installers I hav dealt with, though they can do an install, they seem to know less than anyone that reads these forums about D*'s intentions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts