Rumor: VOOM/Echostar Deal?

Spike said:
I am curious. Why are some of you so open to the possibility of VOOM being absorbed into E*? I for one believe that 3 competing satellite TV providers serves the consumers' best interest. Two competing services doesn't foster more HD nor does it help pricing packages in the long term. I love VOOM first and foremost for the Great HD programing, but there is more to what they have to offer than just the programming, namely more CHOICES!

Anyone want to help me understand what I am missing here? Help me to understand why it is acceptable to you if VOOM blends into the existing E* service. Is it just a resignation to what must be, or.....? If all it is is resignation to a failing service I can understand that, but I would really like to see C. Dolan fight hard to avoid that "final option."

Thoughts?
I don't think anyone wants this to happen, but if the only other option is that Voom disappears forever along with all the HD channels we've grown to know and love, well....suddenly being part of E* might not sound so bad to some.

The only way that would work for me(dish merger) is if I could recieve all of my HD content from the Voom satellite.

I am completely blocked on the 119 satelite that Dish and Directv use.

TheTimm said:
I don't think anyone wants this to happen, but if the only other option is that Voom disappears forever along with all the HD channels we've grown to know and love, well....suddenly being part of E* might not sound so bad to some.

Good point. But I do dread the thought of rebooting the 911 box several times a day. And all those guys screaming for a DVR will wish they never heard of one once they start using E*'s bug-ridden HD DVRs with the interface from hell!

But yes, if the choice is VOOM going dark or E* picking up all the VOOM programming then the latter is the lesser of evils.

Amphicar770 said:
Good point. But I do dread the thought of rebooting the 911 box several times a day. And all those guys screaming for a DVR will wish they never heard of one once they start using E*'s bug-ridden HD DVRs with the interface from hell!

I assume you mean the 811, well I had the 811 since it came out til about 2 months ago when I dropped E*, I never had any problem with it ( unlike the 6000-yech ), never re-booted, worked great from day 1, do I doubt people had problems with it, ( and the HD-DVRs also ) no, of course not, just like some people had trouble with Voom's STB, and some people did not.
As far as E*'s HD-DVRs go, there is no way to know if V*'s would be any better or worse, software from both companies is/are always changing.

Folks, a Voom + E* deal makes sense. Voom is losing money - big time! And Pappa and his boys are trying to snag Adelphia plus keep the rest of their interests afloat. Billions of dollars involved here - can't tolerate a huge drain. Sell the bird to Charlie, turn Voom into a service offering maybe - it has never made money.

datwell said:
Folks, a Voom + E* deal makes sense. Voom is losing money - big time! And Pappa and his boys are trying to snag Adelphia plus keep the rest of their interests afloat. Billions of dollars involved here - can't tolerate a huge drain. Sell the bird to Charlie, turn Voom into a service offering maybe - it has never made money.

lol E only made a profit 1 year out of it's excistance so not like they are making tons.I like Voom but not enough to go back to E I as bad as I hate to say it would probly jump to Dtv

datwell said:

Apples and oranges. The Adelphia bid is a bid from Cablevision. Voom is going to be personally financed by Dolan and some other investors. Two completely different pots of money and parties involved.

With news out now that Voom is (apparently) shutting down, what was the rumor that was going to happen? Can it really hurt at this point to say what it was?

It still could happen... The 8k says that VOOM is going to try to market VOOM 21 to other companies for resale. Echostar could indeed offer the VOOM package (along with DIRECTV and cable). Echostar is probably the only one to have capacity to offer VOOM 21 via DBS for a while (that is when they finish their testing of AMC-15 and AMC-16 and finally get them in and working).

Mark Kays said:
The only way that would work for me(dish merger) is if I could recieve all of my HD content from the Voom satellite.

I am completely blocked on the 119 satelite that Dish and Directv use.
No problem, all current Dish HD is coming from 110 and if you can see 61.5, you are set for HD.