RUMOR: VoOm STB w/Dish in Canada

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SactoCal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, I just heard a rumor from a private installer. He just called me and asked me to do some research on a it. (He thinks I am in the know because I have passed on so much info from the SatGuys forums to him) The rumor he heard is that someone/people/aliens can get an E* signal via there VoOm STB in Canada.

Ok, don't be too harsh, I said its a rumor. Anyone??????

I find that nearly impossible, since EchoStar uses DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting), while VOOM was using a Digicipher format... Their is no way that Digiccipher can decode DVB broadcasts.

It's totally untrue.

Mitch

I think the rumor is caused by the Starchoice boxes looking a lot like the Voom Boxes.

As far as the Voom boxes are concerned, Rainbow-1 isn't there. 0 signal.

Shawn95GT said:
I think the rumor is caused by the Starchoice boxes looking a lot like the Voom Boxes.

As far as the Voom boxes are concerned, Rainbow-1 isn't there. 0 signal.

actually Rainbow 1 is still there, but its DVB now

There is non way you can get the Dish/Voom HD on a Voom box now is because of the different encryption

Iceberg said:

There is non way you can get the Dish/Voom HD on a Voom box now is because of the different encryption
Oh I know it's there - just the Voom box sees zero signal. Lyngsat has been updated too. There are alot of idle transponders on R1.

I noticed the signal from Rainbow 1 on my Dish receiver pegs the meter at 125 signal strength.

Iceberg said:

It's been awhile, maybe a year or so ago, but I hooked my FTA receiver to my Voom Dish to see what would happen and picked up 7 or 8 channels that belonged to Dishnet. I only remember that one was the Fox Movie Channel. They were all on the same transponder and they were DVB. I think two of the channels were not channels already on Voom, but they didn't interest me. The others, like FMC were already on Voom, so I never tried again. They probably are no longer in the clear, but you never know.

125 on signal strength????

Are you talking strength wise according to signal such as in decibels or are you talking about signal quality wise? 125% or 125 decibels? I've never heard of anything going above 100 decibels in strength unless it's sound measurement (totally different scale than signal strength scale). Also, I don't think you could ever top 100% signal quality, which means you would be getting an absolutely pure signal with no attenuation.

The meter on Dish receivers goes from 0-125…125 being max
The old receivers also go to 125, but max at 100ish (spotbeams are 102)

oh ok.....

Thanks Iceberg for the information. I guess that means he's getting plenty of signal from that satellite.

Can't happen then. Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. I will pass this on.

lilyarbie said:
Are you talking strength wise according to signal such as in decibels or are you talking about signal quality wise? 125% or 125 decibels? I've never heard of anything going above 100 decibels in strength unless it's sound measurement (totally different scale than signal strength scale). Also, I don't think you could ever top 100% signal quality, which means you would be getting an absolutely pure signal with no attenuation.

On the Dish Network receivers the signal strength meter goes to 125. It used to go to 100 before a software upgrade. What value or scale the signal strength is based on or measured against is a question I do not have an answer to. I believe it is just an arbitrary number Dish came up with. :)

I think this thought stems from the DSR500, the Starchoice High-def reciever. It is nearly identical in function to the DSR550, but has different software, and cannot be subscribed to Starchoice as it is.

The other major difference between the DSR500 and 550 is that the 550 has an ATSC OTA tuner, where the DSR500 does not, but other than that, their contents are extremely similar.. given the proper software, it might work, but thats a pretty big undertaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)