Rumors from Team Summit

No it's a 3 DBS satellite dish, much like DirecTV's 3 DBS satellite dish. you can see the simple use 2 already exisiting lnb housings. a DPP Twin and a DP Dual

Just noticed something about this new receiver.....

Not only does it have an ATSC decoder on board but it also has QAM capability as well. In the words of Paris Hilton "That's Hot!"

How does this affect the FCC's ruling on a one dish solution if it doesn't also look at the 105 and or the 121 location.

I told you that we'd probably have to make a choice between HD and locals.

I think the QAM technology is for installers to use in MDU setups, like the 811 was just modified to do, it is not cable QAM (although it can be made to do that)

Well looks like from the chart the Dish 500 will be able to get all of the HD old and new once they make the changes. Then I guess folks just need to get their new 411's. So main thing is getting the MPEG4 hardware out then they can save on bandwidth which would let them move things around. As far as moveing locals,HD,SD channels around due to they should be able to do that once MPEG4 gets out to Customers.

Will it be possible to add this new DISH 1000 and add the 61.5 Dish for the Voom 10 programming? Seems that it would be a complicated setup...

danielle_s said:
How does this affect the FCC's ruling on a one dish solution if it doesn't also look at the 105 and or the 121 location.
HDs at 119 and 110, locals at 110, 105, 121, 129, 148 OR 61.5 . Each entire SD market at one of those locations. HD locals possibly at the same or another location.

Or rig another LNB on the Superdish for a 110/119/129 + 105 or 121.
Or introduce the standalone Superdish ...
All locals in a market have to be on one dish - but that does NOT have to be the same dish that you use for national channels.

JL

yes I'm in the 105 market but if dish doesn't offer me a dish that looks at the 105 & 129 locations it means that I'll have to put up another dish. My apartment complex is probably going to fuss in a couple of weeks cause I'm having a second dish istalled. I'd hate to see their express if I put a 3rd dish on my balcony.

Good thing they have the DPP-44 switch out to handle four orbital slots. I hope they can make the SuperDish work for 105, 110, 119, and 129 OR 110, 119, 121, 129. Perhaps they could make the SuperDish 39 inches (within the limit allowed) in order to have the 129 lnbf added onto the 105 SuperDish. It shouldnt be a problem for the 121 SuperDish. It probably shouldnt need to be larger to pickup 129 as well though, just a modified lnbf bar for the extra lnbf.

They could keep the existing lnbf's and only have to come up with a new bar and place the old lnbf's along with the new lnbf onto that new bar and place it back onto the SuperDish. They could do this for all satellites they launch within the reach of that SuperDish. They still have some room for slots under 105 as well on that side of the dish too in which could come in handy for those other slots they are thinking about using as well.

I wonder if some would be able to attach an lnbf to the Dish500 in order to get 129 as well? Might be too far away from 119 to pick up that third slot compared to having a Dish300 pick up 110 in addition to 119.

Stargazer said:
Perhaps they could make the SuperDish 39 inches (within the limit allowed) in order to have the 129 lnbf added onto the 105 SuperDish.
I do believe and I hope someone can confirm this for me, but I believe that the limit is 36 inches.

I have read that it was slightly over 39 inches. I am not sure how wide of an arc the SuperDish would be able to pick up left and right of 105 (and 121) seeing that the dish is aimed to the center to those FSS satellites since they are a weaker satellite.

I also wonder if we will see the mesh SuperDishes as well. That would help make them lighter weight and perhaps less of an issue with the wind and maybe a smaller pole/mast size to use the same as what is used with Dish300/500/hopefully Dish1000 which is 1 5/8". I can still see them using the current 2" size to be on the safe side especially with the possibility of additional lnbf's which would add weight to the dish.

Scott, it just came across the wire!

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.

The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hokie you should read the homepage.

We are still 3 to 4 hours before the big announcement. :D

I know I know Scott :) Just seeing if we'd get an hour or so jump on the rest. Looks like the PR just came out though. Those sneaky public relations people jumped the gun!

NOW the question is... How much extra are they charging for the voom content, and what satellite is it on, and what format is it being transmitted? I am assuming since they will be available May 1 that they will be mpeg2 for the time being on 61.5. Hopefully with no extra charge to the hd pack :)

On further edit, from the PR:

"..announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005" claims that the channels will be added to the HDpak. I doubt they would increase the price and risk losing people that dont want to pay more $$.. but maybe i'm wrong.

Sorry if this was made available somewhere else, but is there a site somewhere that I can get info on the 10 new channels. I saw the list but I'd like to get a better understanding of the programming, etc.

OK - one thing I'm guessing will be announced in a few hours, but isn't out yet...

WHAT BIRD is going to 129? Is this maybe the new home for AMC15? AMC16? R1?

Well sounds like they will keep the Voom HD stuff on where all the other HD channels are. Due to when folks start getting on MPEG4 Receivers which will be most HD subscribers then that will free up bandwidth. Which should free up space on the birds and so on. Also looking at the pics looks like they are going to use the AMC 15 AMC 16 for their new Internet stuff for those folks that live out in the sticks. :)