Run new coax?

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
Hello everyone. I am Getting Fios tv installed this Thursday. I already have Fios internet and phone. I was wondering about the following. I have the router installed in my basement and all of the tv's that have to be wored are one level up. I have coax running up to all the rooms that I am using now for Directv (that I have been using for many years). Should I have the installer run new coax everywhere? The coax isn't the highest grade...I think RG-59 ...or something like that. I ahve no problem with the picture in any of the rooms and there are no HDTV's in the bedrooms. My living room tv is HD and I have a Direct line from my Directv dish on the roof to the tv. I bought a high grade coax for that run.
Should I have the installer run new coax everywhere?

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the signal is strong enough, you won't have any issues. I have RG59 running to my HDTV. Since the signal is all digital (just like DirecTV) you won't lose any PQ as a result of the RG59. I had DirecTV using the same runs as well, before switching to FiOS and have notice no issues. The only thing you would have to worry about is if there is a decent amount of intereferance where the lines are running - in that case, you could get stuff like pixellation and the like, but if you don't have that issue today with DirecTV, you really shouldn't with FiOS either (no, they're not totally analogous, but I would imagine that you would be ok).

Also, if the signals are strong enough around the house, the installer will just by default leave what you have. In that case, having him rerun the wires will cost you. If the signals AREN'T strong enough, then they'll rerun the cable anyway.

One last thing to consider - the ONT produces a very hot TV signal. So hot, in fact, that in many houses they have to actually attenuate it - they had to put an attenuator on one of my STBs. A really strong signal reduces the liklihood that you'll have any issues with picture breakups. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)