Run speaker wires inbetween floors

Koilvr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
In a house
need some help I have a 2 story house and need to put in a 7.2 surround sound speakers 2 subs and 7 speakers. I need to ru them between floors downstairs for this. Whas the best way to do it with out bringind down the sheet or or anything and for it not to cost an arm and a leg...

I am in the midst of doing pretty much what you seek to do, albeit a bit more ambitious. We wanted to move our components into a below-the-stairs closet, which is right behind where we sit to view our television. We bought a new Vizio 55" LEC/LCD, which we will mount on the fireplace, which is on an exterior wall. Having just finished a project where we had our ceilings scraped of the "cottage cheese" surface, we didn't want to cut into the ceiling. I bit the bullet and cut into the drywall at the floor plate lines between the first/second floor and second floor/attic, bored out holes in the framing, and fished my 50' HDMI cable, speaker wire, etc.

So, this does not answer you specific issue. In your case, if you don't mind a bit of wallboard repair, it is possible (we have done it), to very carefully cut a shallow groove in the wallboard, just wide and deep enough to accommodate the speaker wire. You will have to then cover the groove with wallboard joint compound and repaint. This is not as drastic as pulling off the drywall, but, it does require some patching.

Good luck:)

So, this does not answer you specific issue. In your case, if you don't mind a bit of wallboard repair, it is possible (we have done it), to very carefully cut a shallow groove in the wallboard, just wide and deep enough to accommodate the speaker wire. You will have to then cover the groove with wallboard joint compound and repaint. This is not as drastic as pulling off the drywall, but, it does require some patching.

Good luck:)

Try running the wires behind the baseboards.

Drill hole behind speaker. Pull baseboards. drill hole directly below speaker behind where the baseboard was. Fish wire down. You can then generally run wires laterally below the wallboard as it usually has a gap at the floor. It all gets covered when you replace the baseboards.

I should mention that the tv is above the fireplace now, and I have hard wood floors. Above my fireplace is a BIG hole like a hitch the builder put above the fireplace to fit the old BOX tvs not the flat screens and to the left as your looking to the tv is Stairs to go upstairs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts