Run two sets of locals

Oct 11, 2010
California
Question.

Suppose you plugged a box in that was set to (exaple) DMA-1, while you were in an area that was actually DMA-2. Suppose both spotbeams could be seen in this location.

What would happen?

Well, if you happen to be close enough to DMA-1 you might still get the channels. However you would never get the channels for DMA-2 until you change your service address.

Note: I'd gladly pay to get an extra set of locals from my neighboring DMA if they were available (and I know I am in the spot beam so I can get them). NAB, are you listening?

or "move" to DMA2 since its within the spotbeam but too far away for OTA and use OTA for DMA1 (like a lot of us do) :)

:confused:
If you live in one DMA how can you be closer to one in which you do not live?

Doh.

easy...Nielsen in some areas has their head up their a**
Minnesota is a great example. There are areas that are claimed as Minneapolis DMA even though a neighboring DMA (where the towers are) is a lot closer then the Minneapolis DMA

...There are areas that are claimed as Minneapolis DMA even though a neighboring DMA (where the towers are) is a lot closer then the Minneapolis DMA
Nonsense. If you are in one DMA you can not be closer to a DMA that you are not in.

While you might not like or agree with the boundaries for a DMA, it ain't your call. lol

Nonsense. If you are in one DMA you can not be closer to a DMA that you are not in.

before you make yourself look more foolish, please read the post above yours

I live in Pike County, PA. It is part of the NY dma, so I get NYC as my locals and am over 75 miles away. Scranton, PA in only 20 miles and easily received by OTA.

While you might not like or agree with the boundaries for a DMA, it ain't your call. lol

actually it can be...Its called "moving" ;)

and to emphasize my point look at the MN DMA map. The 3 black dots I added is where the towers are for Minneapolis, Duluth and Mankato. As you can see there are areas where one DMA is much closer than another. Where our cabin is (Aitkin county) its about 75 miles to Duluth and 120 to Minneapolis yet we're in the Mpls DMA

Attachments

• minnesota.gif
    minnesota.gif
    69 KB · Views: 179
The issue with Beltrami county is there are stations there that relay the Minneapolis stations. Thats where Bemidji is so they have
KCCW-relay of WCCO CBS
KTFC-relay of WFTC My Network
KAWE-PBS (its own..not affiliated with Minneapolis)
plus analog translators of ABC & Fox

its one of those weird quirks of the market.

before you make yourself look more foolish, please read the post above yours

Foolish? You're showing yourself the fool by trying to take the very definition of a DMA and re-defining it by making up your own "rules." lol

As I said, "Nonsense. If you are in one DMA you can not be closer to a DMA that you are not in."

Foolish? You're showing yourself the fool by trying to take the very definition of a DMA and re-defining it by making up your own "rules." lol

As I said, "Nonsense. If you are in one DMA you can not be closer to a DMA that you are not in."

By your definition, every dma is the same size and only cover the same general area around it. Ice and I are talking about the distance from the center of the dma (which would not be too different from your example), it is simply not the case. I live about 1/3 the distance to Scranton, PA than what I do to NYC. Pike Co, PA is the only area in PA that is a part of NYC's dma. Your statement would be telling me I am in Scranton, why am I not in Scranton?

Legal in my situation as I live closer to neighboring dma than I do to the one I live in.
Your DMA is your DMA and you live within its boundaries, not just near it. That you may be closer to the broadcast towers has absolutely nothing to do with what Nielsen Research finds.

By your definition, every dma is the same size and only cover the same general area around it. Ice and I are talking about the distance from the center of the dma ...
Oh hogwash. Just like congressional boundaries when they are located based on political motives, even if the DMA is strangely shaped in your opinion, it is what it is. If you live within a defined DMA it is absurd to suggest that you live nearer to another DMA which you live outside of. Because you may live next to a large city that is outside your DMA does not mean you live closer to an external DMA then the one in which you reside. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)