Running cable co wire directly next to dish wire

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Should I expect any problems with running an rg-59 cable from the cable co right along side (and touching) the wire that comes down from the Dish?

Being paranoid here...:confused:

Can someone help me with this -

I want to run the incoming cable line up into my living room to my Samsung box which decodes QAM.

Every time I try to plug the coax to the back of the Samsung box I get a nice shock. I do not get shocked when I just plug the wire into a small 13" tv that I brought over to trouble shoot with.

Any ideas here?

Grounding problem

Can someone help me with this -

I want to run the incoming cable line up into my living room to my Samsung box which decodes QAM.

Every time I try to plug the coax to the back of the Samsung box I get a nice shock. I do not get shocked when I just plug the wire into a small 13" tv that I brought over to trouble shoot with.

Any ideas here?

There is a difference in the grounds between the two. Most likely will have to use a ground lift plug on the Sammy.

There is a difference in the grounds between the two. Most likely will have to use a ground lift plug on the Sammy.

Or do it correctly. While lifting ground will seem to fix that problem, it does nothing to correct it.

With the sammy's ground lifted, it is now grounded to another area (the sat lead) and someone moving a lamp, for instance, may touch the tv at the same time and still get a shock or worse. Also, if some path exists between the tv and the local ground, that can heat up and become a fire source. This problem may be at then the LNB's or switch or how they get power. Your 13" is not grounded (as it's power cord has only 2 prongs (with one wider than the other) and possibly a wall wart that isolates it.

Plug in any 3 prong item to the socket the sammy is in and touch the shield to a metal part on it, and you'll still get a shock. It's not the sammy.

I should claifiy that the samsung "box" is an OTA Set top box, not a TV. You will have to excuse me, I had been shocked several times in rapid succession.

Does that change anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)