Running new Coax...need advice plz

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
Ok, my new dish is on the way and I will have to run 2 runs of RG-6, under the crawlspace and then to my family room

I have 2 choices. 1) just drill a 1/2-3/4 inch hole in the Pergo floor and come straight up ...or.... 2)put in a Remodel Box with 2 Coax pass thru connectors on a standard wall plate in the wall behind my setup.

My only concern (besides the work) is signal loss on the pass thru(s) if I go the remodel box route.....any advice would be appreciated! I am using Belden Quad shield cable, and the runs are about 75 ft each (found a shortcut!)
Thanx
Jeff

signal should be fine through the "pass throughs" or couplers...I have all my FTA (and DIsh & StarChoice) on wall plates and there is no signal loss versus going straight line (no couplers)

Thank you...Iceberg

Iceberg said:
signal should be fine through the "pass throughs" or couplers...I have all my FTA (and DIsh & StarChoice) on wall plates and there is no signal loss versus going straight line (no couplers)

Sigh...now I get to do it the hard way...but it will definately look better in the end!!! <Black Widows make their home in my crawlspace for the winter...some stay thru the summer too!!!!> NASTY critters! I will have to set off a bug bomb the day before I go for it!

Happy New Year
Jeff

Last edited:
Bleed?

gizzer777 said:
Sigh...now I get to do it the hard way...but it will definately look better in the end!!! <Black Widows make their home in my crawlspace for the winter...some stay thru the summer too!!!!> NASTY critters! I will have to set off a bug bomb the day before I go for it!

Happy New Year
Jeff

Ever see any signal bleed running two RG-6 cables tie wrapped together?

Started prep work today during a short break from our nasty weather! Can't wait!
jeff

nope

The way my setup is, I have 8 cables coming off the roof down next to the deck door (all with a wire tie on it
-2 for StarChoice
-1 for Dish Network
-2 from one motorized FTA system
-2 from another motorized
-1 from my G10 dish

no bleed over :)

Thanks again...
My DSL is down and I will occasionally be using dialup until restorization...No installs today MONSOON!
Jeff

If you haven't already purchased your cable, you could buy dual coax (this is two coax cables bonded together). Dish and DirecTV techs use this all the time, and it works very well, making your two-cable install neater.

Had enough trouble finding good cable!

Tron said:
If you haven't already purchased your cable, you could buy dual coax (this is two coax cables bonded together). Dish and DirecTV techs use this all the time, and it works very well, making your two-cable install neater.

Thanks tron:

I was able to locate dual cable but only the really cheap stuff! I would up with separate quad shield Beldon which was not easy to find in RENO either. That would have been the excellent solution but the cheap stuff is taking over the planet... Snow has stopped

Thanks for the suggestion
Regards
jeff

Had enough trouble finding good cable!

Tron said:

Thanks tron:

I was able to locate dual cable but only the really cheap stuff! I wound up with separate quad shield Beldon which was not easy to find in RENO either. That would have been the excellent solution but the cheap stuff is taking over the planet... Snow has finally stopped so maybe later this week installation will begin again!

Thanks for the suggestion
Regards
jeff

This evening I installed Belden 1694A cable from my living room through the basement and crawl space to the back of my house. I initally had my Pansat 2500A in my family room, but decided I would move it to the living room where it will compliment my OTA set up. It is one continous piece. When I connected it to my STB, it went crazy. It wouldn't start up. I removed the cable, powered it on, it was fine. I connected it again same problem. Then I disconnected the cable at the SG-2100, thinking that was the problem. No, same problem. Is it the cable? It's says precision video cable 1694A 3-GHZ. Is this ok? I used it because we have rolls of this at work. The cable run is about 90 to 100 ft. But I can't see this causing a problem. So I brought the STB back to the family room and connected it to the old shorter piece that runs from the satellite dish to the family room. Work fine. I can't figure it out. The cable does share a common hole in a wall with a natural gas lead pipe, for a very short bit, would that cause the problem?

Last edited:
Make sure the cable does not have a real sharp bends or kinks in it any where, as its not just power but RF going through the coax. But its going to have to be the ends. I would snip both then and start again. All it takes is one small strand of shielding causing a short. I have had trouble before with strands invisible to the human eye, put a magnifier to it and sometimes you will see it, I snipped the ends and BANG it works.
Other than that try a temporary cable same length, if that works, replace the cable run with the know good piece.

Gas pipe should not be the problem.

Belden 1694?! GOD, that's expensive stuff. It's primarily used for routing baseband analog video and SDI digital video in broadcast facilities. It's gas-injected foam dielectric with a solid copper center conductor. What kind of fittings are you terminating it with?

That cable is really overkill for an RF signal, but it *should* work. As Pete said, check the fittings... the blue Digicons should work well on it. Remember that the solid copper center conductor will bend easier than will the copper clad steel ones. I also remember reading somewhere that the copper-clad center conductors are better for RF than the solid copper ones, don't know if that's the problem.

If you have an extra roll or two you don't mind parting with, I'd gladly pay :D I'm going to be running cable in a home studio soon, and will need 1694 to connect my broadcast gear.

Last edited:
as earlier mentioned you most likely have a short at one of your connectors. if you have an ohmmeter you can test the line

Black widows are overrated. Many years ago I went to visit a friend in Eastern Washington. We got to drinking scotch in the evening, and talking about the differences between there and Wisconsin (my friend was from there too). He got a flashlight and took me outside to look for black widows. We found one and he picked it up and we watched it bite him. Then we had to find another so I could do it too. This was back in the early 70's when everyone was experimenting with drugs. The bites maybe made us a little higher but otherwise no had effect.

So don't worry too much about black widows. Or drink Scotch before crawling into the crawlspace. Course, that might degrade the quality of your installation :)

You were luckily!

animalhead.com said:
Black widows are overrated. Many years ago I went to visit a friend in Eastern Washington. We got to drinking scotch in the evening, and talking about the differences between there and Wisconsin (my friend was from there too). He got a flashlight and took me outside to look for black widows. We found one and he picked it up and we watched it bite him. Then we had to find another so I could do it too. This was back in the early 70's when everyone was experimenting with drugs. The bites maybe made us a little higher but otherwise no had effect.
So don't worry too much about black widows. Or drink Scotch before crawling into the crawlspace. Course, that might degrade the quality of your installation :)

I got nailed by a Black Widow ( a big sucker too) a few years ago and my arm swelled up overnight! hate the buggers!

jeff

Tron said:
Belden 1694?! GOD, that's expensive stuff. It's primarily used for routing baseband analog video and SDI digital video in broadcast facilities. It's gas-injected foam dielectric with a solid copper center conductor. What kind of fittings are you terminating it with?
That cable is really overkill for an RF signal, but it *should* work. As Pete said, check the fittings... the blue Digicons should work well on it. Remember that the solid copper center conductor will bend easier than will the copper clad steel ones. I also remember reading somewhere that the copper-clad center conductors are better for RF than the solid copper ones, don't know if that's the problem.
If you have an extra roll or two you don't mind parting with, I'd gladly pay :D I'm going to be running cable in a home studio soon, and will need 1694 to connect my broadcast gear.

Well, I am not sure how my boss would feel about be pawning the 1694. My department deals with the installation of traffic camera and we have a few rolls of the stuff in the office. Oh btw, Pete you were right it was the connectors. The systems works beautifully now. I guess with this special type of cable I do have low signal lose for the 100ft because the quality on most feeds are very high.

I didn't use any special fittings, just the ones you find at home depot. They are RCA RG-6 gold-plated, so they are high quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)