Running out of event timers & it's time for a change, Advice needed...

Timers aside, with two tvs, you start with a Hopper and a Joey. The Joey is simply as access point for the Hopper which does all the recording. If you ever added a third tv, you could get another Joey. Though you would probably have to go through a local retailer, you could get two Hoppers and you would have tons of recording room. The two Hoppers can access each others recordings, but each would need to be timer programmed separately. I say local retailer because Dish will not set you up with a Hopper without a Joey, but there are ways around that if you want to go the route.

Well, Unfortunately there are quite a few... Just looking at my upcoming events here are some:

The Colbert Report
The Daily Show
Pawn Stars -
Phineas & Ferb
The Great Food Truck Race (Season starts back up on Sunday, so there's a marathon)
Operation Repo
Bar Rescue
Gold Rush
Duck Dynasty
Catfish
American Pickers
Mythbusters
...and a slew of kids shows

Are there blocks of kids shows on the same channel? If so why not delete the timers and just set single timers at the start of each block?

Also weekly timers for AP and PS might work best for those as they are rerun consistently even when their not showing new episodes. OR just do a single timer each week if you really want to watch them (new seasons have been snoozefests)

Mythbusters isnt rerunning that much (have that timer as well)

And yes, you can have two receivers hooked up to one tv.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!
I knew the kids shows were definitely causing some problems, and I was considering the 2 receivers option, but I didn't know if it would be better to go with another 722k, or go for the hopper. How is the best way to hook up 2 receivers to one tv?

As far as I remember reading hopper has the same max timers limit as 722k. So the problem will not be 100% solved as the limit can be reached again even if PTAT. Anyway broadcast shows don't have repeats or very less.

Yes, you can hook up two receivers to one TV. It would be easiest and best to have two Hoppers, or two Hoppers with Sling, with one attached to each TV. You can watch the content on either Hopper from either TV. There is a menu choice to pick which Hopper or which locally attached EHD to watch. This will double your timers and events. You can get a 2H system thru a local retailer (who actually installs and isn't just an order taker) or, with some effort, thru Dish. Thru Dish order a 2H/2J system. Then when the installer is there AFTER HE HAS ALREADY STARTED THE INSTALL(if at all possible) tell him you changed your mind and only want 2 Hoppers. OR take them all and next day call Dish to return the 2 Joeys. Kinda difficult if you don't have 4 TVs, but doable.

You can also connect two ViP receivers to the same TV at the same location. There are a variety of ways, but you can connect each receiver to a different input on the TV and change the remote address assignment on one of the receivers. Label and juggle the remotes.

I recommend the H or HWS route.

Timers aside, with two tvs, you start with a Hopper and a Joey. The Joey is simply as access point for the Hopper which does all the recording. If you ever added a third tv, you could get another Joey. Though you would probably have to go through a local retailer, you could get two Hoppers and you would have tons of recording room. The two Hoppers can access each others recordings, but each would need to be timer programmed separately. I say local retailer because Dish will not set you up with a Hopper without a Joey, but there are ways around that if you want to go the route.

So could DISH set me up with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey? Or would I have to still go though a local retailer? Also, if I just added another 722k, is it true they can't access each other?

Yes, you can hook up two receivers to one TV. It would be easiest and best to have two Hoppers, or two Hoppers with Sling, with one attached to each TV. You can watch the content on either Hopper from either TV. There is a menu choice to pick which Hopper or which locally attached EHD to watch. This will double your timers and events. You can get a 2H system thru a local retailer (who actually installs and isn't just an order taker) or, with some effort, thru Dish. Thru Dish order a 2H/2J system. Then when the installer is there AFTER HE HAS ALREADY STARTED THE INSTALL(if at all possible) tell him you changed your mind and only want 2 Hoppers. OR take them all and next day call Dish to return the 2 Joeys. Kinda difficult if you don't have 4 TVs, but doable.

You can also connect two ViP receivers to the same TV at the same location. There are a variety of ways, but you can connect each receiver to a different input on the TV and change the remote address assignment on one of the receivers. Label and juggle the remotes.

I recommend the H or HWS route.

Thank so much for the info... I figured that if I decided to go with (2) 722k I would have to do the dual remote thing (our tv has (2) hdmi inputs), but it is wonderful getting confirmation from those who know more. I honestly don't want to deal with that option, so that's why I was looking at the Hopper. I was hoping that the PTAT would help out with our timers, and if not, adding another Hopper would work better for us anyway.

Also, you mentioned "local retailers". I've only dealt with DISH directly. Where can I find more info on that? Do they charge the same? Would I be starting a new contract through them, or renewing my existing contract?

Don't know if anyone else has said this but the Hopper's software is much better than the 722 when it comes to repeats of old episodes. The Hopper knows what is old and what is not. It does not flag old episodes for recording. All those Mythbusters marathons that my 722 set to record do not on my Hopper as long as I set it to new only.
And the Hopper has 3 sat tuners plus if you can receive ota, the ota module adds a 4th tuner.

Don't know if anyone else has said this but the Hopper's software is much better than the 722 when it comes to repeats of old episodes. The Hopper knows what is old and what is not. It does not flag old episodes for recording. All those Mythbusters marathons that my 722 set to record do not on my Hopper as long as I set it to new only.
And the Hopper has 3 sat tuners plus if you can receive ota, the ota module adds a 4th tuner.

All dish dvr do that. I have used 625 & have 722k. If a timer is for new episode it only records new. It even resolve conflict & mark the next airing to record. Really love dish dvr coding.

So could DISH set me up with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey? Or would I have to still go though a local retailer? Also, if I just added another 722k, is it true they can't access each other?

No, 722s are totally independent. Stay on the Hopper plan. Go back to post #26 for a get around with Dish so you don't have to go through a retailer, unless there is one in you locale. IF you have been getting by this long with just a 722, I'd say you don't NEED two Hoppers. There will be those here (power users) who will INSIST you should....but you need to examine your habit/needs. Most people only need one.

Something not mentioned here, you can get a $30 option OTA module which will give you another tuner if you can receive OTA signals.

EDIT: The only reason you would really need the OTA module is if there are local stations not carried by Dish, or the the network station's sub channels you would want.

Last edited:
No, 722s are totally independent. Stay on the Hopper plan. Go back to post #26 for a get around with Dish so you don't have to go through a retailer, unless there is one in you locale. IF you have been getting by this long with just a 722, I'd say you don't NEED two Hoppers. There will be those here (power users) who will INSIST you should....but you need to examine your habit/needs. Most people only need one.

Something not mentioned here, you can get a $30 option OTA module which will give you another tuner if you can receive OTA signals.

Two things...

1) Is there any advantage/disadvantage to going through a retailer? I'm just about to finish up with my 2-yr contract, so would I have to cancel & send back my equipment, and then re-start with a retailer? (I'm not opposed to another contract - as a matter of fact I would like another year of discounts.) But, would that even be allowed? Currently we're under my husband's name, but we can switch to mine.

2) I know nothing about OTA. (I assume that stands for over-the-air.) Will that just get me another "tuner" so that I can record 3 things at once? (If that's the case, then I don't think it's necessary for me - most of our shows are re-aired often enough.) And, if it can do more than that for me, is that $30 flat fee, or is that an extra $30/mo?

Right now, with everyone's kind help, I think switching over to the hopper will be the best option. Now, I just need to figure out how to keep our bill down.

Another quick question - how big is the Joey? DISH's website says something about putting it behind a TV, but it looks a little too big to fit behind our small flat-screen mounted in the bedroom.

I would be interested to hear everyone's opinion on going through a retailer.

All dish dvr do that. I have used 625 & have 722k. If a timer is for new episode it only records new. It even resolve conflict & mark the next airing to record. Really love dish dvr coding.

You are mistaken. It depends on Tribune Media. With the marathons, they way they flagged all the old episodes, my 722 treated them as new and would schedule them for recording. I had to go in and manually skip them. Another example is the Today Show. The 4th hour is rebroadcast every night at 2:05AM. My 722 would treat that as a new episode. In both situations the Hopper did not. I no longer have to go in and manually change them to Skip. A big time saver.

Why fight the system? Weekly and M-F timers would free up events on many of those. Your choice to have continued problems!

Well, Unfortunately there are quite a few... Just looking at my upcoming events here are some:

The Colbert Report
The Daily Show
Pawn Stars
Phineas & Ferb
The Great Food Truck Race (Season starts back up on Sunday, so there's a marathon)
Operation Repo
Bar Rescue
Gold Rush
Duck Dynasty
Catfish
American Pickers
Mythbusters
...and a slew of kids shows

Two things...

1) Is there any advantage/disadvantage to going through a retailer? I'm just about to finish up with my 2-yr contract, so would I have to cancel & send back my equipment, and then re-start with a retailer? (I'm not opposed to another contract - as a matter of fact I would like another year of discounts.) But, would that even be allowed? Currently we're under my husband's name, but we can switch to mine.

2) I know nothing about OTA. (I assume that stands for over-the-air.) Will that just get me another "tuner" so that I can record 3 things at once? (If that's the case, then I don't think it's necessary for me - most of our shows are re-aired often enough.) And, if it can do more than that for me, is that $30 flat fee, or is that an extra $30/mo?

No there is not real advantage in going with a retailer. If you decide to upgrade, do it through one of the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) members. They are hands down the best option for ordering through Dish. On duty members can be found at the bottom of the Forum page, in RED. Any upgrade will put you into a new 2 year contract. They can advise you on the best options for your specific account.

The OTA module gives you one additional tuner. It is a $30 option purchase.

No there is not real advantage in going with a retailer. If you decide to upgrade, do it through one of the DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) members. They are hands down the best option for ordering through Dish. On duty members can be found at the bottom of the Forum page, in RED. Any upgrade will put you into a new 2 year contract. They can advise you on the best options for your specific account.

The OTA module gives you one additional tuner. It is a $30 option purchase.

and keep in mind that you do need an OTA antenna to attach to the module for it to work...

Two things...

If you have a good local retailer then you would definitely be better off going with them. The prices are the same or cheaper and you don't have to cancel or start over. You will then have a single point of contact for your ordering and installation and can get things done just the way you want by a competent installation tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)