Rupert going for Dish Network? NO.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
I friend of mine that is a DirecTV installer that knows some close to DirecTV are talking like Rupert maybe gearing up to go for Dish Network. Has anyone else heard anything like this ???

If you mean DirecTV buying Dishnetwork, no chance. Dishnetwork tried to buy DirecTV a few years back and the FCC/FTC shot that down. Now if Rupert were to sell DirecTV, he could try to buy Dishnetwork but he would have to make Charlie Ergen an offer he couldn't refuse.

cablewithaview said:
I friend of mine that is a DirecTV installer that knows some close to DirecTV are talking like Rupert maybe gearing up to go for Dish Network. Has anyone else heard anything like this ???
:haha :haha :haha

There has been alot of changes since then, who knows ? I guess the Comcast/Time Warner deal for Adelphia, depending on how it goes, could change the face of the industry for years to come. FCC/FTC is still out on that one.

My dog groomer's brother knows this guy who is friends with the lawn guy of Charlie's broker's maid's cousin's half sister and she say's it isn't true. So that is good enough for me! :D

Slamminc11 said:
My dog groomer's brother knows this guy who is friends with the lawn guy of Charlie's broker's maid's cousin's half sister and she say's it isn't true. So that is good enough for me! :D

If your dog had overheard it at the groomer's office and then told you, I'd believe it. Otherwise, it couldn't be true! :)

The FTC would never let the only two major sat companies merge. Not even under the current administration -- unless the White House just happens to make another unqualified appointment, this time to run the FTC, then I suppose anything is possible. :p

Not Gonna Happen

And before it was a mutual merger, this time around Charlie & Rupert don't exactly get along anymore and if DN were too buy Directv, as stated above it would have to be at bargain basement prices and of course FCC approval and that's not gonna happen.

cablewithaview said:

I heard through the grape vine that DISH is positioning themselves up for acquisition with its stock moves and what not. I wouldn't be surprised if Viacom or Disney pick it up. Or even GE. Now, that was NOT through an installer. If anything, your friend was probably a victim of company propaganda.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I heard through the grape vine that DISH is positioning themselves up for acquisition with its stock moves and what not. I wouldn't be surprised if Viacom or Disney pick it up. Or even GE. Now, that was NOT through an installer. If anything, your friend was probably a victim of company propaganda.

Yeah and then Dish would drop Free Speech TV and LinkTV since they wouldn't ALLOW a broadcast of "Democracy Now!" since GE are War Profiteers I'm sure.
I would be hopeful NO company buys Dish because I don't feel like them becoming like FoxTV and making people pay at a minimum $42 for the basic channel package. Not much good I can see coming of any other company buying Dish unless it's an outsider.

Personally, I think it's going to happen...just not for another 3-5 years. With Verizon/SBS getting into the video market and helping to freeze or reverse cable price increases, it is only a matter of time before the DBS market stops growing and perhaps begins to dwindle. Shrinking profit margins will force DBS to cut costs, and reducing the costs of maintaining their fleet of satellites and uplink facilities will be high priority.

Currently, most people being served by cable have only a single choice of providers (90%); in essence people have no cable choices if DBS isn't a viable option. The DBS market has been growing in leaps and bounds the past several years, but those days are coming to an end. Verizon/SBS will offer consumers an additional video choice and will change the competitive landscape. The FCC/FTC will be hard pressed to deny a future E*/D* merger when market share and profits dry-up and consumers, in general, have more video choices (cable, telco, DBS, IPTV?). If nothing else, I can see a possibility of D* and E* being allow to partner future satellite and uplink facilities while still maintaining their own autonomy. Let's look at HD LIL for example: why in the hell should E* and D* maintain a fleet of satellite to provide something the majority can receive with a simple OTA antenna? Without getting into a pissing contest over OTA, E* and D* both having to provide seperate HD LIL is financial suicide IMO. In any case, it should be interesting to see what the landscape looks like in 2010.

Slamminc11 said:

This is not DBSTalk, Why cant we simply answer the guys question instead of busting his balls over and over?

jssat said:
This is not DBSTalk, Why cant we simply answer the guys question instead of busting his balls over and over?

Jesus, it was a joke you blowhard. Maybe you should go back to bed and try waking up with a f**king sense of humor. But since that is probably not possible...here you go.
Nope, don't see it happening!
YOU HAPPY JSSAT???????

"satguys. The no joke zone"!

Not even a viable rumor. The FTC/FCC has made it abundantly clear there will NOT be one satellite provider period. Period period period. If the administration changes and the FCC/FTC are completely gutted and revamped, maybe but I would say the rumor especially given the source is completely unbassed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)