Rupert Murdoch looking to sell DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The thing I feel nervous about is the changing of management. I think D* stalled out for 1-2 years shaking things out and placing "their" people throughout the org. That on top of the E* merger has lead to this situation we are in. I hate being thrased around by Reorgs. Too many things get placed on hold and the customer is the least important item.

Murdoch calls it a "turd bird", yet I wonder if he realizes HE was the one that turned it into a turd. He's made many poor choices IMO(some being replacing the popular Tivo with his own IMO buggy brand, started a ridiculous leasing model, where you STILL pay high initial fees, yet never own the product...).

IN many ways the leasing plans were a copy of Dish's lease plans except you pay more for Directv's lease than Dish's. HE is also trying to copy Dish with an inhouse made dvr instead of paying Tivo. Unfortunately this has proven to be a problem for Rupert. Why pay more money for a mpeg4 hd dvr when it works poorly and there isn't any hd channels to record other than locals and 8 hd lite national channels?

I have always have wondered if Dish and Directv had focused on the best picture quality over quantity of channels if this would be an equalizer for the triple play that cable has. I would rather pay for the best picture quality than save a little money to bundle my phone/video/internet. Maybe they should both focus on improving their pq ,through better mpeg 4 encoders , so they can do just that. THat might be their only way to compete unless new technology comes along to offer the satellite broadband cheaply.

Problem is that Murdoch is the "Turd Bird" here.
He became too focused on following the Dish model instead of leading the pack as DirecTV has in the past.
I have been with DirecTV for 6 years, but for the past year I have been getting this sinking feeling...
I didn't mind paying for my equipment in the past. I had a choice of brand and quality and I owned it.
Now I'm paying for the equipment, and a lease fee, have no choice of brand, and I don't own it on top of it all!
That's the part that really gets under my skin.

I dont mind owning versus leasing. My beef is with D*'s focus. The first couple of years were definately management shakeup and wall street financials (increasing cash flow, killing low ROI segments, etc.). Not a bad idea as long as you keep your eye on the ball. The ball is HD. Look at the fricken TV sales. Millions and millions of potential and existing customers.

While I agree with the new sats I think the company missed the mark and should have had 10 and 11 (i think) this year. The promises are great for more HD with the sats but I do think other things have suffered. They have also pissed alot of good loyal fans with the Tivo move. How the heck do you justify a complete move away from Tivo when you have some of the most loyal fans (in the MILLIONS not just HD). I dont think the new HR20 is that bad but its still not a Tivo.

If Murdoch leaves, it is very possible that DirecTV might possibly enter into a new agreement with TIVO at some point. I'm hoping so and usually that's a good sign of things to come. ;)

charper1 said:
Didn't they already renegotiate another deal to remain partners?

They agreed to continue supporting the current TiVos out there, as well as allowing customers to activate other TiVo boxes (currently deactivated units, EBay purchases, etc..), but HD-TiVo users will be out of luck for new programming from DirecTV since it will be MPEG2 only.

The poster above is hoping that DirecTV run by Malone might convince him to make a new deal.

HOWEVER, it is worth noting that Malone owns a small percentage in Motorola, as well as OpenTV... and if he gives up his stock in Newscorp., will not own any of NDS. However, the HR20 uses Ucentric code, and Motorola purchased them some time ago...

~Alan

Directv is not going to go strictly Tivo like they did in the past. It just aint gonna happen unless they win patent suits.

Whatever way it goes, we all know that TiVo has only been beat in the past by UltimateTV ... TiVo is the bomb in my book. My HR20 is filling the need ... but that it is. If I had to rate it, I would call it my ONLY option, which I do not like! As far as Murdoch and News Corp ... well is this not why we "defected" over 200 years ago ... the English are dumb ... Glad I am Irish!

Oh, I agree that D* has "become" a turd, it used to be good but now it is average. IMHO, FIOS is the way to go, but nobody has FTTH and that hurts.

vurbano said:
Its OK, Verison workers are on the entrance street to my subdivision. I may just go hand them a beer. :)
You're lucky. While I'm in a Verizon service area, I'll probably be dead before they get around to installing FiOS in my area. They just started DSL offering service in my area in the past year or so, and I can get whopping 768k down/128k speed for "only" $38 a month. That's one reason I have cable with 5Mbps down/1Mbps up for about the same price.

slacker9876 said:
As far as Murdoch and News Corp ... well is this not why we "defected" over 200 years ago ... the English are dumb ... Glad I am Irish!
I believe Rupert is of Australian descent.

good, I never liked payting to a conservative wackjob anyway. Hope he loses all of his money, that sick old pervert.

Keith Rupert Murdoch is a naturalized American citizen, that was born in Australia to Sir Keith Arthur Murdoch and Dame Elisabeth Murdoch both of Australia and are of Scottish decent.

Rupert's looking at it from purely a business/financial standpoint. I suspect he anticipated quicker growth and a bigger bang for his investment buck inside a particular timeframe.

I, for one, have had D*TV for over 14 years (in 3 states), and feel its the best service bang for the buck. Add in NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, and its tough to match anywhere. Having dealt with multiple cable crapper services, as well as lousy Dish and Voom equipment and services for limited periods of time, I stand by my preference for D*TV. Add in the free equipment and install deals, and I can't see changing.

If Rupert wants to put his millions elsewhere, that's his business but has no impact on me or most anyone else.

As far as FIOS is concerned....if and when it ever appears in the other 95% of the country where it is NOT available today - they have their own fair share of issues to overcome there too before widespread acceptance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts