Rutgers coach Mike Rice abusing players

If he doesnt get his remaining salary/or package from the University, he'll lawyer up quite fast.
Reports I've read say his contract was terminated. I'm not an attorney, but most coaching contracts have performance standards and morals clauses in them. If he was terminated "for cause", all compensation owed would be voided...

unless the ball hits you real good straight on the nose i don't see what other injury could result from it. it's more of an unnecessary annoyance and disrespect towards these young men. not saying be weak but prepare for the consequences resulting from your actions no matter what they may be. if you can with all your might whip a ball at my head then certainly i can return the favor and make you eat it.

They should give him back the money they fined him before then since this is why they fined and suspended him earlier. This is not new footage, its just footage that finally made it public.
i completely agree!

That's why you have to wonder if the AD will be next. He only suspended Rice based on this footage, apparently hoping to sweep the whole mess under the rug...
he should be gone too.

After the first whissle, I agree there is no place for that.

I still dont see the problem w/ hard coaching... aslong as there is no harm done (physical or emotional).
Am sure a Rex Ryan practice would be interesting..

i have no issue whatsoever with hard coaching but IMO it just went too far. i was raised in a strict household and with a belt. would not have it any other way. I love my parents for it and am very grateful i got the punishment when it was needed. saved my ass from getting into even more trouble. as a kid schools still had the paddle and imo the young folks behaved much better than they do today. still imo rice crossed the line. also,consider the legal issues you can face today for something like this. 25 or more years ago this wouldn't be as huge as it is now with social media and sue happy people. to make it simple, this coach is just a dumbass.

unless the ball hits you real good straight on the nose i don't see what other injury could result from it. it's more of an unnecessary annoyance and disrespect towards these young men. not saying be weak but prepare for the consequences resulting from your actions no matter what they may be. if you can with all your might whip a ball at my head then certainly i can return the favor and make you eat it.

Since when is throwing the ball at a player, grabbing them by the shirt and pushing them are great ways of coaching kids? I just don't get it.

They should have fired him from the beginning instead of suspending him.

Let me ask you guys a question. If Rutgers were in the final 4 would this change your point of view? Would so many people still want this guy fired?

Kraven said:
Am sure a Rex Ryan practice would be interesting..
I thought about this a little bit when I went back to work. I do think it is different in football so I wondered what if a coach like nick Saban was throwing footballs at other players and behaving in a similar way? He gets fired? Maybe not....

I thought about this a little bit when I went back to work. I do think it is different in football so I wondered what if a coach like nick Saban was throwing footballs at other players and behaving in a similar way? He gets fired? Maybe not....

IF he threw football at PROs or grabbed them by the facemask and throw him to the side... he would get his ass whipped...

I wanna know when playing college bb became like joining the military?That coach wasn't teaching killers,he was supposed to be teaching players.He got what he deserved imo.Should have came sooner though.

IF he threw football at PROs or grabbed them by the facemask and throw him to the side... he would get his ass whipped...

Dont think so. Its an unwritten rule not to touch the HC no matter how much of an ass he is. Coachs can make or break careers so there is a level of respect there.

We've all seen players and coaches go at it in the pros to the point it's about to get physical. In college not so much.

Dont think so. Its an unwritten rule not to touch the HC no matter how much of an ass he is. Coachs can make or break careers so there is a level of respect there.

The further you go back the more respect head coaches got in all sports. I've heard stories of players back in the day being scared of Don Shula when they would F* up and avoiding him until the game was over. Not a peep. I get that and agree with it but I never heard Shula doing stuff like this . He was a hard ass but we're all still men. I feel that rice wouldn't do that in the pros because he would be choked. Something we have seen in the pros ;) to a coach that never did anything near to what rice did.

Your point about coaches making or breaking careers is a valid one and explains why those kids did nothing. In the pros the great players have more power than any coach. Well most coaches anyway.

Let me ask you guys a question. If Rutgers were in the final 4 would this change your point of view? Would so many people still want this guy fired?
I honestly don't think that any coach with this abusive style (not the 'normal' tough, yelling kind of coach) could actually be that successful.

He had to lose players mentally due to his actions, not to mention the three players that actually transferred out during his 3 year tenure at Rutgers.

how about the NCAA not showing any interest at all in this? i forgot that unless there's money involved it's not important enough to look into. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)