RV and Home satellite

dave10a

Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
USA
I am new to DN on the Eastern Arc with two VIP 222K receivers in my home. I have a 381 Receiver in my Motor Home with a Dish twin 500 with a 21 switch. I tried to have DN authorize my 381 receiver, but they refused to add that receiver to my existing account and was told that I had to start a new account to get the 110 and 119 satellite programming. I am not willing to pay double to get the same programming in my motor home as my house.
I Emailed DN and asked if they could recommend better alternatives than starting another account and they replied that I should call customer service to ask them. I had already done that and they would not suggest any other way than start a new account.
I started thinking on my own and thought I could purchase a Dish 1000.4 for my motor home and use one of my house 222K to connect while traveling the USA. I am not sure if the Dish police would capture and punish me for such a simple solution. Can I pick up the EA satellites while traveling in the west, and if the receiver is not connected to a phone line will that be a problem?
The main reason I canceled my Comcast account for satellite is so I could have the same TV in my motor home while traveling as I do my home. If I can not do that I will go back to Comcast because of their HS internet.

I am new to DN on the Eastern Arc with two VIP 222K receivers in my home. I have a 381 Receiver in my Motor Home with a Dish twin 500 with a 21 switch. I tried to have DN authorize my 381 receiver, but they refused to add that receiver to my existing account and was told that I had to start a new account to get the 110 and 119 satellite programming. I am not willing to pay double to get the same programming in my motor home as my house.
I Emailed DN and asked if they could recommend better alternatives than starting another account and they replied that I should call customer service to ask them. I had already done that and they would not suggest any other way than start a new account.
I started thinking on my own and thought I could purchase a Dish 1000.4 for my motor home and use one of my house 222K to connect while traveling the USA. I am not sure if the Dish police would capture and punish me for such a simple solution. Can I pick up the EA satellites while traveling in the west, and if the receiver is not connected to a phone line will that be a problem?
The main reason I canceled my Comcast account for satellite is so I could have the same TV in my motor home while traveling as I do my home. If I can not do that I will go back to Comcast because of their HS internet.

Dave,

Dish and DirecTV both require a separate account if you wish to have service in more than one location.

You can activate another receiver on your account, just do NOT tell Dish you intend to use the receiver anywhere but your service address. If you do travel with a receiver on your Home Account and it is not connected your home phoneline, you will be subjected to possible Audit call. On a Dish Audit call, if you can not provide all the information the CSR asks for on the phone any receiver that you can NOT provide the appropriate information for, will be deactivated. The deactivated receiver will NEVER be able to put back on your account or any other account as a secondary receiver. The deactivated receiver will only be able to used on a new account as the primary receiver.

How to I know this, it happened to me. I had a receiver on my home account that I used on my Boat while travelling. I was audited several times years ago, each time I explained one receiver was on my boat which I had a RV exemption for, all was good, until my 4th or so audit the Boat receiver was shutdown and I had to start a new account for it.

If you do travel with the receiver only do so when you are not home so the Dish Audit team can't get a hold of you, also from time to time reconnect it at home and allow it to "Phone Home" to Dish.

John

Dave,

I used my 222vip reciever in my MH last year when we went to AZ. I hooked it to the Dish500 antenna I had picked up at a garage sale. With a DPPlus LNB I am able to use it to receive seperate signals to two TVs. The disadvantage is its not HD but you can aim for the 110, 119 sats. I don't have my receiver hooked to a phone line at home and didn't bother to change my service address to AZ because the reception for the local OTA channels was very good.

John L. Thanks for the information. I will use ferry the reciever back and forth between home and the motor home. It will be where ever I am at so if they call at home and I am there the receiver will be there as well connected to my home phone line so it can call home when it wants to. I think i will invest in a dish 1000.4 and hope it works anywhere i go in the USA-- except for the spot beam channels outside of my home area. I don't know the rational behind Dish for thier policy that demands one to have a new account. I would feel better if they explained it so we could understand rather than guess and think the worst.

Tomboy257-- thanks for the info as well. It is my understanding the the 222vip receiver is compatible with legacy switches and dish but not the other way around. You verified that.

The reason they would not activate the 381 receiver is because you have "Eastern Arc." The 381 is not an MPeg 4 receiver. All receivers o "EA" accounts have to be Mpeg 4. You could pick up a 211 receiver and still activate it on your account and use it with your 500 dish on the MH. I would suggest getting a D.P.P. Twin though, just for ease of use.

dave10a,

I would call back and ask for Technical help. I never use the normal Customer service at Dish for anything because the few times I tried whatever I needed was not done correctly.

Concerning the RV situation I find it very odd. I called a month ago and told them I was moving one of my 622s to my new RV. The response (from tech) was "OK, I have notated your account and you are good to go". I also mentioned I planned to use Eastern ARC for the RV (currently on 110/119/61.5 at home) and they said I could use either one as long as I had the proper dish.

I think i will invest in a dish 1000.4 and hope it works anywhere i go in the USA-- except for the spot beam channels outside of my home area.

You might be better off with a 1000.2, IMO. what does everyone else say? Sadoun has a tailgate package that might be just the ticket. If not the entire package at least the items you might need.

If your interseted, this is how I hooked up mine..... I have a Dish500 antenna with a DPPlus LNB (This is a must). I used the dual tuner receiver to independently operate the two TVs in the Motorhome. Run one coax from the left side of the LNB to the "park cable-in" on the exterior of the RV. Disconnect the coax at the Antenna/Cable switch in the RV from the cable input side and connect it to the receiver using a Dish Seperator (Similar to a splitter, but provided by Dish, a regular splitter won't work.), and connect to Sat1 and Sat2 on the receiver. Run AV cable from TV1 output on the receiver to the video controller Sat in. Then run AV cable from TV2 output on the receiver to the video controller Aux in. Switch the controller to Aux for TV2 to view sat programing and use RF remote control. Hope this helps. Natually some things might be different with your setup (especially with reguard to HD) but basically this or something similar should work for you.

I called their tech support and found out that I am authorized to use the east ach and they would not enable me to use the 110 and 119 satellites-- or any satellite outside of the eastern arc. Somehow we had a problem understanding each other. All they would tell me is I had to establish another account to get programmiing on any other satellite than my present easstern arc, 62.5, 72 and 77. They would not offer any alternative and would not tell me if I could or could not take my present 222k receiver to my motor home.
I tried living under their rules but I simply don't understand what they are. So rather than argue with them are try to clearifiy what they are telling me, I am going to buy a 1000.4 dish and ferry my present 222k receirver to my motor home. If they send the police after me then so be it. My defense if front of the judge will be -- I could not understand their policy and procedures so I did what I thought would be best and legal....
What a confusing mess this is........................

I called their tech support and found out that I am authorized to use the east ach and they would not enable me to use the 110 and 119 satellites-- or any satellite outside of the eastern arc. Somehow we had a problem understanding each other.

Dave, your receiver isn't restricted to only EA. If you plugged it into a dish capable of seeing 110, 119, or 129 it would be able to receive the programing from them. Take it from me I did it with my 222 that was installed in my home with EA.

Other posters are right. You are not restricted to EA only. If you don't need HD in the motorhome, I would suggest just getting a 500 Dish w/ a Dish Pro Plus Twin. Just remember o run a check switch each time you move the receiver, so it knows what sats your pointing at.

Exactly how do I hook up my 222k to dish 500. I read somewhere that the 222 receiver is compatible with legacy lnb and switches. If that is the case I should be able to connect the 222k to the SW21 on my Dish 500 twin lnb. If that is possible, do I connect the output of he SW21 to either of the Sat IN on the 222? I don't think the legacy SW21 will work with the Separator that allows to connect to both Sat Inputs of the receiver.

I can't speak about how you hook it up, but I can tell you that you can have a receiver in your motor home as an additional receiver. I had a 311 for a few years and just replaced it with a 211k. Call customer service and tell them you want to add an RV receiver. You shouldn't have a problem. In addition, you also qualify for national network feeds, if you want to pay for them.

dave10a, you mentioned only 110 and 119, so why are you wanting to use an SW21 with a legacy Twin which has its own internal switch? And if you use your 222k with it, you will need 2 lines (can't use the Separator with legacy) which may not be practical for an RV. Add my vote for replacing the Twin with a DPP Twin.

Exactly how do I hook up my 222k to dish 500. I read somewhere that the 222 receiver is compatible with legacy lnb and switches. If that is the case I should be able to connect the 222k to the SW21 on my Dish 500 twin lnb. If that is possible, do I connect the output of he SW21 to either of the Sat IN on the 222? I don't think the legacy SW21 will work with the Separator that allows to connect to both Sat Inputs of the receiver.

Dave....Just check my post (#9) it tells how I did it in my MH.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)