RV HELP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Darrin Baxter

Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Alabama
Hi guys first post here. I have a rv with Directv sd one receiver in front one in back. I want to upgrade to HD. I got a new dish fromn direct slimline lnb3 swm and a hd receiver. Tried tohook it up and nothing. Is there anything else I need to make it work and any advice on hooking it up and what sat to point a would be awsome.

Thanks In advance guys

Darrin

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Setting up a Slimline dish can be tricky. There are many posts here that will take you through the process. For starters, make sure your mast is plumb, it's very important. With swm you need a power inserter. That's also important! You want to point to the 101 satellite.

Yes, you need one designed for use in a swm system.

Has the directv worked in the past in the rv? I know u said u had sd directv but has it been working in the rv?

The reason i asked is cause theres a antenna booster that does not pass power to the lnb that u have to wire around to the outside of the camper.

Darrin,
Your questions are so vague they are unanswerable. Let's delve a bit into your SD setup.

First, do you have an automatic dish on top or your rig or do you put up a dish on a tripod? This give a clue as to how you do things now which will determine what you need to get from where you are to where you want to be. Moreover it gives a clue as to what you know about aiming a dish.

Second, do you have two DirectTV SD receivers or just one? I suspect you RV setup is like most with one SD receiver in the front and a coax going to a switcher that allows you to see the same picture in the bedroom. To answer the question about what kind of a splitter you need we need to know your current setup.

Let's start with answers to those two questions and I think we can map where to go from here.

Bob

At the present time It is working in the rv. I have a dish that I put on a tripod. I have two sd receivers one in the front and one sd receiver in the bedroom.

Darrin,
OK. Great. Since you work a tripod now you know how to line up on sat 101. That is 90 percent of the effort. So, we can go from what you know.

Step one is to get another tripod with a 2" diameter pole. You really need to have this pole; don't try to shim the one you have. Shop around for tripods at flea markets or rv shows. I got mine in Quartzsite for about $30 bucks.

Next, get a pole level from Home Depot. You can use a torpedo level, but the pole level (that has two levels in it) makes things much easier. The key here is to have something that will allow you to get the pole dead nuts vertical.

You said you have a SWM head on your dish so you need the 21v power inserter. This is necessary to provide enough power to the SWM head for it to operate properly. While I have used steel core copper coated coax between the power inserter and the SWM head on my RV setup, the preferred method is to use solid copper for this run. You can various suppliers for this with a google search. (Home Depot does not sell the solid copper core coax.)

Next comes alignment. You already have experience finding 101 since that is where all your SD signals have come from. Everything you know about dish alignment for 101 is exactly the same for the Slimline dish. The only possible exception is that the pole has to be dead nuts vertical for the alignment to work properly on the slimline. You have to get the best possible signal on sat 101 and then make sure the elevation bolts and pole bolts are locked down. There is a process called dithering that uses the bolts with those back circle markings on them. But, I find that not necessary for RV setups.

Part of aligning on 101 is using some sort of metering device. If you use one of those under $40 alignment meters that work for SD they will not work for SWM. There are a number of options for a SWM meter, but you actually have one option that may just prove to be best in your situatoin and that is to use one of your existing SD receivers. You will need a Band Stop Filter to allow your current SD receiver to work on the SWM setup. You can then go to the setup screen and find the meter settings. You can turn on the tone and use it as an audible signal for your alignment. We can discuss more on this later.

Now you have one more setting; skew or tilt. You can mess around with this or just use the setting you will find on your receiver by putting in a zip code for the location where you are doing the setup. Another method is to get the skew from dishpointer.com (which is what I do). Again, you can spend a lot of time trying for the "best" signal by adjusting it back and forth. The last few times I have been out, I find that just setting it to the suggested setting seems to get a quite adequate signal. If you are going to be in any one place for an extended period of time it may be worth the extra effort to do all the fine tuning. But, for stays of a week or two it just doesn't seem to matter.

As far as the hookup in the rig goes, you should run the primary line to the receiver in the front of the coach. If you want to put a second receiver in the bedroom you will need a green-label splitter (you can get from solid signal). Just get a 2 connecter unit since the larger units have more signal loss. You may have an issue with the line between the front of the coach and the bedroom since it is probably R59 versus RG6 coax. If it is in really good shape it may take the frequencies of SWM. But, you do have the risk that you may have to replace it with RG6. Again, only trying it will tell how things will work out on that.

I know this seems like a lot of change. But, I think once you get into it things will move easily. Please feel free to ask any more questions as you go along.

PS. You could continue to use the SD receiver in the bedroom if you put in a band stop filter on that unit as well.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob thanks for all the information. I will try it this weekend and see what I have. Im sure I will be back with more questions. lol

Thanks again for your help.

Darrin

Bob thanks for all the information. I will try it this weekend and see what I have. Im sure I will be back with more questions. lol

Thanks again for your help.

Darrin
Darin,
As you work you will probably find a splitter installed in the RV. This has to be taken out of your system. You can use the splitter that will come with the SWM dish but you cannot split the sat line with an analog splitter. Bypass it with a barrel connector.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts