RV set up (2 HDTVs running on HDMI w/ Splitter)

mikewy

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
los angeles
looking for help setting up HD in an RV
receiver 622 vip (2 inputs)
Question: can I run 2 HDTV's (front and back) using 2 HDMI cables using a HMDI splitter (powered) and still get HD quality Audio and video on both HDTV simaltaniously. I read that Dish network has something in the receiver that will not allow use on HDMI splittter to run 2 TV's with sound simaltanously.
reason I plan to run HDMI cable is to minimize running componet cables 50 ft.

can't you place the receiver close to one tv and use component cable for it and HDMI for the second?

I put a 211K in my motor home and that's exactly what I did. I ran the HDMI cable to the bedroom and hooked up the livingroom TV using component and sound cables. The receiver is in a cabinet directly below the living room TV.

:confused: Are you going to use both tuners to operate the tv's individually? Am I wrong when I say the second tuner isn't HD? Are we missing more info?

For a while I ran 2 HDTVs via an HDMI splitter with my 622. One HDMI run was 30 feet, the other one was 20 feet. It worked OK, but every once in a while the audio would drop and I would have to turn the TV off and back on to get the audio back. Eventually I did as others suggested, one TV on HDMI (the one farthest away), and the other on Component, works perfectly.

I'm actually in the process of coming up with an HDMI solution to feed the TV in my workout room. I ran a 35' HDMI cable and it works fine without the splitter, but with the splitter it's hit or miss, sometimes even freezing the TV. I think it's an HDCP issue.

The splitter I used was the cheapest one on Monoprice.com, after talking to their tech support, I ordered the more expensive one. From reading reviews on the site, this seems to fix a lot of issues.

I'm expecting the new splitter to arrive tomorrow or friday, so I have my fingers crossed.

I used this distribution/splitter in my RV. Kanex HDMI 2x4 Distribution Amplifier Splitter, Full HD 1080p v1.3b, Model: HDMISP2X4. Bought it from directron. I have a 211 going into one of the inputs and a Blu-ray player going into the second input. One of the outputs goes to the television in the living room, a second output goes to the bedroom television and a third output goes to an outside cubby for viewing outside. It has been installed six months without any problems.

Let us be picky on our terms. Tuners are inputs. The ViP622 has 2 satellite tuners and one OTA tuner for inputs. All can handle both SD & HD.

The outputs are labeled TV1 & TV2. Both outputs can feed from the inputs or from the DVR HDD. TV1 can output in SD or HD. TV2 can only output in SD, even if the original material was in HD.

You can watch live (or almost live) OTA on the TV2 output by tuning in the channel on TV1 and recording it to DVR. Then from TV2 go to the DVR listing, pick that program while it is being recorded, and start from the beginning. You'll only be a few seconds behind.

Regarding HDMI, I recall people posting mixed success. Something to do with handshaking signals/HDCP. Some "splitters" may be able to handle this better than others. That may be why HDMI to one, and component to the other, seems to be the more popular solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)