RV system set up

jldhawk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Spirit Lake, Iowa
What are my opinions for installing a Dish and receiver at my camper that sits on a seasonal site (Year round) but used only during the camping season (4 months out of a year)?
Should I buy a dish and receiver? Does E* lease this type of set up? if so, will they close it out in the winter months when the camper is not getting used?
If I should buy a system, are there reconditioned ones?
as always, I appreciate the help I get from this sites users.

Depending on if you want HD or SD that is your only decision. Dish allows you to have a RV receiver activated on your home account that you never attach to a phone line. The only requirement is that you have to purchase it. If you are using SD, then purchase a 311 or 301. 211 for HD. These are both available as remans. Dish only requires you to send in the RV owner's certificate if you are activating distant networks. Since distants aren't avail like they used to be, then this doesn't matter. As long as your RV is located within your local Spotbeam you will still receive the locals from your home address area. You also need to purchase an extra Dish 500.

This will just add $5/month to your bill. You can add and remove it at will.

OK, let me get this straight, I am paying these idiots at the campground $130.00 a season (4 months) for cable and I could be paying E* $5.00 extra a month for the time I spend at my camper? 4 Months out of the year?
I lease all of my receivers at home, I am MAXED out on TV's allowed to be hooked up at home (4), but I could buy a 311 and a Dish500 and get a simular amount of channels (Excluding HD that I get at home) but up at my camper?

Yes. You are only allowed 4 "leased receivers" on your account. You can add more. You just have to purchase them. You can have more activated in your home if you want. You will have to add a switch or change over to dual tuners. Since the new receiver is in the RV you won't need a switch unless you bring that box home during the other 8 months.

If you add a 311 or 301 will need it to be plugged into a dish at time of activation in order to activate. When this is done, you will have all the same channels you have at home excluding sat 129 which is not avail on a Dish 500. That won't matter because you are using SD in your RV.

All you do is purchase the equipment, then call and activate. Just say exactly this, "I need to add a purchased receiver to my account. Thank you." That's it.

Last edited:
OK, then why can't I just buy a Dish500, mount it on the Camper, then just bring my 311 (That is already activated) up to the camper with me each weekend, and during my vacations?
I am at my camper NOW, dealing with POOR PQ from cable company.

OK, then why can't I just buy a Dish500, mount it on the Camper, then just bring my 311 (That is already activated) up to the camper with me each weekend, and during my vacations?
I am at my camper NOW, dealing with POOR PQ from cable company.

then do it..aint nobody technicaklly stopping you :)

Thats what we do. Take the 301 up to the cabin on weekends and bring it back when done :)

Depending on if you want HD or SD that is your only decision. Dish allows you to have a RV receiver activated on your home account that you never attach to a phone line. The only requirement is that you have to purchase it. If you are using SD, then purchase a 311 or 301. 211 for HD. These are both available as remans. Dish only requires you to send in the RV owner's certificate if you are activating distant networks. Since distants aren't avail like they used to be, then this doesn't matter. As long as your RV is located within your local Spotbeam you will still receive the locals from your home address area. You also need to purchase an extra Dish 500.

This will just add $5/month to your bill. You can add and remove it at will.

Well.............. I did this with a 301 and D500. Got audited, could not give them the numbers, they pulled the plug on the receiver and called me a crook. I called them the next day after locating the camper registration and they said "makes no difference, you still failed the audit"

So I guess I'll just do as Mr. Iceberg suggests.

yep. Bring the box back to the house so when the audit people call you can get that info right away :)

If you leave it in the RV permanently, you're screwed if they call

I would pickup a dish 500 and if the camper get snow, I put it on a tripod so you can put it away in the winter and if you need to move it for the tree or plants you just move it. Remember if your to far from where you live you may not get your locals because of spot beam.

No, I think I am close enough to still get my locals, EXCEPT, I think they have my locals on 129..... I need to check on that one. But otherwise, I think you guys just saved me $130.00 a year.

Doing it like Iceberg says, is the way to do it.

I think if you do call to activate a receiver, you may not want to say it's in an RV. I thought a few weeks back, after Dish announced the MPEG4 service starting up in the winter, that it was said, "RV's will need a separate account." Maybe it was only referring to MPEG4 Service.

I don't know, maybe someone has more (accurate) information.

I just bring my receiver along with me I live in Illinois and have traveled deep in Wisconsin and Indiana without a problem I get the usual nag screen about the fee for without a phone line connected but as soon as I get home I plug it back in
never received a fee or problems
100_0139.jpg

100_0141.JPG

My camper is in NW Iowa, so yes it gets snow. I am just thinking of permanetly mounting the Dish to the top of the Camper (Line of site is better). But I might need a different dish then a 500 to see my locals on 129. It sits on this site year round (Seasonal site) I winterize it were it sits. With gas prises the way they are, I really like this set up.

NOW, anyone know where I can pick up a Dish1000 cheap?

Doing it like Iceberg says, is the way to do it.

I think if you do call to activate a receiver, you may not want to say it's in an RV. I thought a few weeks back, after Dish announced the MPEG4 service starting up in the winter, that it was said, "RV's will need a separate account." Maybe it was only referring to MPEG4 Service.

I don't know, maybe someone has more (accurate) information.

You only need another account if you are activating "mobile dish." Or if you are taking it to a summer "home." RV rules are different.

OK question on this subject. I have been taking one of my receivers back and forth to my mobile (stationary) home and everything has been fine for 7-8 years. But the last time I went up, I didn't get any of my channels (I have the Everything Pack), only NASA and a couple others. I brought the receiver back home and the same thing happens. I wasn't audited (that I know of) and I have no phone lines connected. Is it a fluke or am I going to get hasseled when I call in? Any advice before I call?

OK question on this subject. I have been taking one of my receivers back and forth to my mobile (stationary) home and everything has been fine for 7-8 years. But the last time I went up, I didn't get any of my channels (I have the Everything Pack), only NASA and a couple others. I brought the receiver back home and the same thing happens. I wasn't audited (that I know of) and I have no phone lines connected. Is it a fluke or am I going to get hasseled when I call in? Any advice before I call?
Your receiver just needs to be reauthorized.
It's not a big deal except the wait time on the phone to get to the tech who can send the code down from the satellite. But if I were you I wouldn't say anything about moving it EVER. No point in opening that can of worms. Be prepared with a reasonable story (power off while you were on vacation) to acccount for why the thing was unplugged and why you didn't notice no stations till now(it was off for some days, no?)

Your authorization probably ran out. Call their tech support line and ask for it to be "re-hit". You'll need to read off the string of R and S numbers.

EDIT: Must have posted at same time as above post. Yes, don't tell them it's somewhere else. Just tell them you were remodeling and unplugged it.

Yes, it was disconnected for a couple of weeks. It's in a room where we don't watch TV to much, so I didn't connect it back up right away.

I was remodeling, ya that's sounds good, remodeling.

Thanks guys!!

Hello to all, I'm new here and this topic is the reason I joined......
I've taken my Dish receiver camping for over 7 years, and just started to have these problems this summer........
We're getting to retire and RV travel is in our plans, I want to get the straight dope on this before I renew my Dish subscription......
A fellow camper who is a small dish installer (both brands) says Direct is the only way to go if you travel.
I've been a loyal Dish customer all this years and hate to change, but will if necessary....

TIA

It's easy to believe there are folks who like D* more and ones who like E* more but a statement like "the only way to go" sounds silly on the face of it.

If he didn't already tell you, ask him why. Then bring those comments here and folks will give you some straight skinny.

I camp with Dish and I'm sure it's the best. But that's just me.

Steve
A long time desert rat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts