RV Use of DishNetwork & Eastern vs Western Arc

Ron Nielson

Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
I am an eastern arc customer, live in 66409 Berryton, KS. My dish is mounted on the NE corner of my house on a pole and looks out over the SE sky. I'm pretty sure it is a 1000.4 setup. What determines if you are an eastern arc customer or western arc customer? Is there some place you can look this up? What is generally the dividing line between eastern arc and western arc?

I want to use my 722 DVR in my RV and will be traveling from coast to coast for several months at a time. What equipment do I need to purchase to use my Dishnetwork system in my RV? I assume that if I duplicate the dish/lnb equipment I currently have - 1000.4 eastern arc - I will have service in the eastern part of the country. But how to get service elsewhere? Need to purchase a western arc dish also? Are dish setups different for each arc, or is it just one type of equipment just aimed at different parts of the sky? When do I use an eastern arc setup vs a western arc setup?

Should Dishnetwork be made aware that I'm using the equipment in this way? Or not? Is there an advantage in them knowing about the RV use? I can't see any information on their website about RV use.

Appreciate any information I can get on RV use.

Ron

If locals and all HD are not that important to you, I would get a Dish 500 with a DP plus lnb. That way you could aim at EA or WA depending on which had the better line of sight.

On WA HD is on all three satellites (129, 119 and 110).

On EA HD is on 61.5 and 72.7. The 77W satellite carries HD locals, so a D1000.2 could get you all of WA and 61.5 + 72.7 off EA which is everything but locals.

It may be tricky to align on EA but it is doable and each time you do it your skill level willl go up. I might suggest getting a SAT meter to help especially with 61.5 and 72.7 on EA.

Does anyone remember which sat on EA has the 9 day guide?

Get a 1000.2 for WA. Once you leave your spotbeam coverage you won't get locals anyway. The WA is visible for most parts of the country. Go to menu 6-1-3 that will tell you if your home setup is EA or WA. EA wit be 61.5-72-77.

No roaming locals

Ron, I think Tom is right. Locals are determined by Zip, region, and whatever is going up to the sat. from that region. Been through that with Dish Mover's and out-of-towners. Best you could do out of region would be the interactive weather feature or Sling technology. Because the box (receiver) is authorized and programmed for your home Zip, it will probably not receive any locals other than your own at home. Even if other local signals are there the box will not translate them. Other people will have to tell you about Slingbox technologies,but I think this answers your question. Welcome to Dish Network! :rant:

If I understand correctly:

1000.2 accesses sats 129, 119, 110 easier to aim
1000.4 accesses sats 61.5,72.7, 77 harder to aim

If I have a 1000.2 and a 1000.4 setup in my RV, I should be able to see my programming including HD with the exception of the local channels when I'm not in the local area.

Is this correct?

If I only have a 1000.2 OR 1000.4 in my RV, what channels am I giving up and where? Remember, I'm traveling all around the country, not in a fixed place.

If I understand correctly:

1000.2 accesses sats 129, 119, 110 easier to aim
1000.4 accesses sats 61.5,72.7, 77 harder to aim

If I have a 1000.2 and a 1000.4 setup in my RV, I should be able to see my programming including HD with the exception of the local channels when I'm not in the local area.

Is this correct?

If I only have a 1000.2 OR 1000.4 in my RV, what channels am I giving up and where? Remember, I'm traveling all around the country, not in a fixed place.

Pick one or the other.....don't lug around both dishes. Both have the same programming (other than your locals, which you lose). I have a 1000.4 at home and 1000.2 for my RV. I don't miss any of my subscribed channels except for the locals. I still pick up my regional sports, because Dish still thinks I'm at home when on the road. Click the link below to get a pointing guide.

http://www.tech.dishnetwork.com/dep...Portal/images/pdf/tech/DISHPointingAngles.pdf

This will help your setup. Use the elevation, azimuth, and skew for your zip. Use sat 119 and listen for best signal and lock. This may involve small adjustments left or right, and up or down. Make your left or right adjustments and get a good signal, before going up or down. Do everything slowly as it takes some time for the dish to aquire the sat.

After getting a lock with accceptable signal strength, run check switch and you should be good to go.:)

you may find dishpointer.com has the most accurate settings, as many times they are not optimum from the provider...
the receiver will not have the settings for the 1k2 or 1k4, just dish 300 and dish 500, so refer to the pdf or dishpointer

That really throws a monkeywrench into things. I have added the Dispointer.com settings:

Azimuth
Menu 201
PDF 207
dp 143.1 magnetic; 146.2 true

Elevation
Menu 40
pdf 39
dp 39

Skew
Menu 111
pdf 116
dp 64.3

AZ and Skew are way different. What is going on with this? The readings were for the multiLNB setup, 1000.4 system

Your Location Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 38.9797°
Longitude: -95.5846°
Name: Dish 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W)​
Distance: 37862km
Motor Latitude: 39.0°
Declination Angle: 6.1°
Dish Elevation: °
Elevation: 39.0°
Azimuth (true): 146.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -25.7° (this doesn't display on the web page)
Came up when doing the paste)
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

Dish Skew [?]: 64.3°
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

The pdf posted is for the 500 plus dish and the 1000 plus dish, NOT the 1000.4 or 1000.2

below are the correct setting from dish pointer for yor zip and the 1k2 and 1k4 dish.

The receiver can NOT give you the correct settings for either of these dishes so you have to refer to the installation manual for the dish in question or use dishpointer.

Dish 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W)​
Elevation: 39.1°
Azimuth (true): 146.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.1°
Dish Skew [?]: 64.3°

Dish 1000.2 (110,119,129)
Elevation: 38.8°
Azimuth (true): 214.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 211.6°
Dish Skew [?]: 116.2°

Need Help with the 1000.4 vrs 1000.2

Thank you for the information below:

The receiver can NOT give you the correct settings for either of these dishes so you have to refer to the installation manual for the dish in question or use dishpointer.

Am having a real problem pulling in the 1000.4
My installs with the 1000.2 have been great.
What is so different with the 1000.4.... can someone please tell me?
I have a Green Bay market that I am now working in and I am installing a 222K can't get the switch to down load.
Thanks SO Much

Thank you for the information below:

Am having a real problem pulling in the 1000.4
My installs with the 1000.2 have been great.
What is so different with the 1000.4.... can someone please tell me?
I have a Green Bay market that I am now working in and I am installing a 222K can't get the switch to down load.
Thanks SO Much
What switch is not downloading? If you point and peak your dish right, it'll work fine. Get elavation right first, then fine tune left/right +- 3 degrees with the cam on the bottom, be sure to loosen the three bolts on the bottom or you'll snap the cam off.

Hi Ron Camping world sell 3 automatic dish antenna's. The most advaced gets all 3 sats at once with just the push of a button. They sell 2 other models that set on the ground and get one sat at a time. As you seem to be using the eastern arc the single sat would likely work pretty well. good luck Martha

There is a new WA lnb coming out that fits the 1K.4 dish. You could just get one dish and both lnbs and change them out depending where you are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts