RVers first thoughts

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Got a chance to pull out the new microHD and try to set it up. Yeah!!! oops; :eek:

The 12VDC connector does not match any cord I now have. OK. Replaced the starter gear on the generator and got the receiver working on AC.
OK, hook up to TV. OH NO. Cable end does not match the others I have and will not hook up. OK, extension cords. :eek: Nope, wrong ends. Moved receiver out of the hole and closer to TV. Got it going. :D
Updated the software and scanned 97W, the only dish I have hooked up. Started to sort channels. Hmm, OK, will take the time to run the editor. Goes much slower with the remote than the Mercury II or the 1100c. OK, will not be a problem except for time.

Very good picture so far. I do not have an HDMI cable, so although the TV and receiver are both HD, I can not test - but no HD on 97W as I understand. Making a list of things to pick up when go to the "big" city. Nothing useful in Goldendale. I can and will take the receiver with me!:) When I make up a kit to sell to RVers, I will include those little things that are needed. I could cut the cord on the power supply, but I want 90 degree connectors so the receiver will sit back against the wall without breaking wires (this is a problem with my DVD player - small connector tiny wires on it). The AV connector is also too long, but I have not found a 90 degree connector in the catalogs.

So, the dimensions do not include connector length. I do not ye know how much of a problem that will be. It is not fatal flaw, however, it may mean I can not put it where I want it. The USB port in the back requires an extension, and that connector is a very tight fit.

These are first thoughts. Have to get back to the drainfield, or I will not make it on the road next weekend.:coffee

Found an HDMI cable that was mis-sent on a switch order several years ago! It works very well. The composite was good. HDMI is VERY good. Composite disconnected from microHD/TV and back to DVD/TV! Got a small inverter working. It would not handle the 1100c, but does the microHD FINE. The generator is off and TV is working. Getting better all the time.

Still not getting the channels arranged as I want them with the remote. Fretting the learning curve on an editor, but it has to be quicker than the process on the remote. And the new computer should handle an editor. My old one would not handle Channel Master! I do not know it it is a learning curve problem, but even stepping through the channels seems much slower than my other receivers, so I am not yet sure if I got all the channels I am supposed to have yet. One surprise was one channel I think should be scrambled that was not. 'Nuf said.

The unit does seem to be generating more heat than I expected. I may have to leave the cupboard open when unit is on. Or may be able to raise the hinges to allow a little air. I wonder how hot it will get in standby waiting for timer record. I will try to put a remote thermometer on it tonight or tomorrow.

I am aware of that reply / issue but since the cupboard for the rec. is approx. 6" deep 7" high and 15" long, it might be too little air. I have to know before I promote it. Would not be problematic, just need to know. It would have been better to have more than 8 part days to test before I go on the road. Need to find the maximum operating temp. also. Might be in the manual... 105 degrees out side, the cupboard on the South sunny side of the MH on the top of the outside wall. My 'customers' are Bridal college er.. Bible college graduates and faculty so 97W Glorystar will be the first priority - with a great deal of interest for foreign language programing, Russian, Romanian, Urdu, Farsi, French, and Spanish have been asked for. Many missionaries and RVers, so 12VDC and micro size/weight are important.

All the testing I am doing is off grid, as is anything I do! As soon as I can make up the correct cable end, all testing and reporting will be solar powered Battery maintained operation. I was given a motor and I will get that working (tested and reported) also, as soon as I can, but the micro came the week after, not two weeks before the septic tank design was approved by the state - so my tank is in and I have to finish getting it hooked up or I have to move!
I have been watching and working some with the microHD when it is too hot to work out side and some at night. So far, everything has worked well, except for editing by the remote. The editor program seems to work OK but does have a learning curve and limited (or not yet discovered) instructions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)