RVU vs Wireless client?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

labrat321

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
Just bought a Samsung RVU television for the bedroom and liked the idea of the satellite being integrated, but it appears in order to use it, it has to have a network cable ran to it even though it has wifi. I will be moving soon and planned to replace the other receivers with wireless clients then. Seems like the wireless client would be better than running a network cable, will have to pay the same fee either way.
Am I overlooking anything, haven't played with the menu on the RVU, but I don't see how it would be any better than the Directv receiver.

If you have a directv supported Samsung RVU tv ( https://support.directv.com/app/ans...t-is-a-directv-ready-tv-and-how-does-it-work? ), you can use it as a client. Typically, you'll need a coax line and a DECA attached to the back, however I have seen some tvs that are on (im)properly configured MoCA networks pick up RVU over the wifi and actually work. If you've got a genie, particularly an HR44 or an HR34 with a wifi deca attached, you may be able to get it to connect over wifi as a client. This configuration is not supported through DirecTV, however, and you need some pretty beefy network hardware for it to work with any stability.

Otherwise, you can pay for the option to get the wireless setup.

Dtv will not (in my experience) activate an rvu client tv without tech install. A tech is required to run or utilize a coax line with a deca attached and your genie NEEDS to be connected to the Internet via a bbdeca. This is all per dtv and what we are required to do, I'm not saying that other options will not work but if they don't work well enough to your liking then this is what has to be done. Dtv clearly states not to support rvu over wifi or cat5. Deca only.

Also rvu does NOT support 3d. Not sure if that matter to you or not.

Personally I would use a client if I were you. In my house I run a 44 with hr24x3. Then again I dislike how the client functions personally. Not that there's any problems with how they work I just prefer an actual receiver.

Dtv will not (in my experience) activate an rvu client tv without tech install. A tech is required to run or utilize a coax line with a deca attached and your genie NEEDS to be connected to the Internet via a bbdeca. This is all per dtv and what we are required to do, I'm not saying that other options will not work but if they don't work well enough to your liking then this is what has to be done. Dtv clearly states not to support rvu over wifi or cat5. Deca only.

Also rvu does NOT support 3d. Not sure if that matter to you or not.

Personally I would use a client if I were you. In my house I run a 44 with hr24x3. Then again I dislike how the client functions personally. Not that there's any problems with how they work I just prefer an actual receiver.

When I worked in customer service, I activated a few RVU TVs for customers as long as they could verify their setup. If you hook the tv up and it detects the rvu network over wifi, you can actually change your input to RVU and the screensaver will be bouncing around or it'll ask for a pin.

It depends on the rep you get. Protection plans reps will be more likely to be of assistance, however.

When I worked in customer service, I activated a few RVU TVs for customers as long as they could verify their setup. If you hook the tv up and it detects the rvu network over wifi, you can actually change your input to RVU and the screensaver will be bouncing around or it'll ask for a pin.

It depends on the rep you get. Protection plans reps will be more likely to be of assistance, however.
We're u breaking rules doing that? I was under the assumption they had to be tech installed.

We're u breaking rules doing that? I was under the assumption they had to be tech installed.

At the time, no. Although the scripts didn't have too much info, the powers above me always allowed us to provide self install assitance if it prevented an unnecessary service call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts