S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drives

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnB

Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Last night I got a message stating one of the hard drives in the computer might fail before too long. This is determined using the S.M.A.R.T. hard drive technology. It monitors many internal readings on a hard drive to let the user know if they will fail sometime in the future.

Has anyone else ever gotten a SMART drive message? How long did you wait before changing out the drive?

Just had a three year old Maxtor giving that type of SMART error. It lasted about 2 more days until most of the drive was inaccessable. Try to get an immediate backup if possible.

Run the manufacturers diagnostics to see if it is fixable or needs to be sent in for warranty repair or replacement for non-warranty. I sent in a noisy and dead 60 GB and got an 80 GB quiet drive back. It now resides in my Dishplayer so I don't wake up at 3am each night for the hard drive spin up.

Jay

I did end up replacing the drive a couple of days later. I downloaded a program called Active SMART from http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/index.html and it pointed out that the pool of reserve sectors the drive uses to replace bad ones had been used up. I upgraded to a Maxtor 160GB drive and was able to copy 99% of my old files.

The Active SMART utility is kind of neat. It will let you see the current temperature (if your drive supports this) of your drive.

That SMART technology works very well. I have seen it in Compaq workstations. Heed the warning and get another drive. Make the failing drive a slave and install into your PC and hope you can still access the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)