s-video vs. 480i

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
I noticed that the new 622 will output 480i and I'm assuming that would be from the component output. My ? is, would would 480i thru the component output yeild better picture quality than from a s-video signal?

480i will go over all outputs. it's 480p/720p/1080i that can only go out via Component or HDMI. On the others, it will be downconverted to display at 480i, including letterboxing of widescreen material, but it would still be very sharp.

the reason I was asking is that I just bought a DVD recorder but it won't accept a progresive scan signal (or 1080i ) via the component input and was wondering if a 480i signal (via component) would like any better than feeding it a s-video signal.
But you're saying the 622 doesn't do 480i thru the component out so I guess it's a moot point, eh? Dang......................

new_to_hdtv said:
the reason I was asking is that I just bought a DVD recorder but it won't accept a progresive scan signal (or 1080i ) via the component input and was wondering if a 480i signal (via component) would like any better than feeding it a s-video signal.
But you're saying the 622 doesn't do 480i thru the component out so I guess it's a moot point, eh? Dang......................

Think you misread the post. Component and HDMI will do 480i AND all the others. Very few dvd recorders will allow component input. If you got one that will, you are in great shape. Most will allow composite or s-video input only (like mine). Your best bet is do component-in if you can. Second choice is s-video. Composite last (but I have to admit, the 942 composite-out does a much better job going to my panasonic dvd recorder than I thought it would). Good luck.

Just to clarify (as the thread title is a bit confusing): 480i refers to image resolution (640x480, interlaced).
It can be delivered via composite, S-video, component and other interfaces.
Composite and S-video interfaces can only do 480i and nothing else.
Component interface can do 480i, as well as other resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i).
Even at the same resolution (480i), component interface usually produces better picture quality, as it keeps three color components separately.

but, if you want to keep everyting hooked up simultaneously, I honestly would say to put the SVideo into the Recorder. Otherwise, you can't watch HD and record SD at the same time, since the Component will not work if sending an HD resolution to the recorder. You'd have to force everything into SD just to record. This can become frustrating after a while.

The newer Dish receivers output SD and HD simultaneously so that you need not ever toggle it if you hook things up right. My old model 6000 of course doesn't have that ability, and it is a PITA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)