S-Video

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dave C

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Seattle Wa.
I've got a Pansat 2500a connected to the TV with a S-Video cable. I get good video, but no audio. Is this normal? I've never used a S-Video cable before.

Yes with S-video you also have to use the RCA (Red/white/yellow...Composite) cables. You don't need yellow for audio as that is the video cable, I have done the same thing quite a few times :eek:

Yup, that's how I have my Fortec Star hooked up, S-Vid to the TV and red/white to the audio system.. Works great.

Much better with S-Video but prefer component

S-video is much better over a composite connection. You don't suffer from dot crawl effect which makes your picture look degraded and pixelated. You also don't get the cross-color effect which is the rainbow effect that occurs when you're looking at something that has stripes and you suddenly see red, green, and blue swirls of color coming from it. It is far more superior because your luminance signal (light) and chrominance signal (color) are both separated out instead of being modulated together into one signal like a composite cable. However, if available, the best kind of connection other than DVI or HDMI cable which is all digital, is analog component video, which has three color coded cords for video. Green for luminance (light), Red for red color difference (PR), and blue for blue color difference (PR) which yields (Y-PR-PB = RGB) Basically the less work your television has to do to the signal the much better picture you will receive in the end.

Svideo sucks and is an obsolete connection. Wish that everyone would just stop making players/tvs with these connections. They are worthless.

I think Component/DVI/HDMI is standard nowadays. You can't even send a 720p or 1080i signal through Svideo...whats the point?

The point is that if you do not have an HD receiver, why bother the upgraded signal to the TV won't help much.. S-Video is still better for Standard Def TV than composite. When HD FTA Recv are a little more inexpensive, then perhaps, I can understand you point.

Rick in MD said:
The point is that if you do not have an HD receiver, why bother the upgraded signal to the TV won't help much.. S-Video is still better for Standard Def TV than composite. When HD FTA Recv are a little more inexpensive, then perhaps, I can understand you point.
I agree! For those of us without the high dollar HDTV setup, still using regular TVs, S-Cable is a lot better than the RCA Cables.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts