S10 OpenBox losing Time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I just noticed that my S10 is gradually losing time over a period of days. I lose about 5mins from the S10 clock clock in a about 5 to 7 days. Anyone experienced this before?

I never owned a fta box that kept good time .All the boxes I owned that had a time display when the box was off never worked.You would think a simple think like that wouldn't even be an issue.Must not be important to the manufacturer.
I'd prefer a box that went blank rather than one that shows the wrong time,LOL
My OBS10 doesn't even have a setting for American time.german,Irainian,poland yes.USA --No.

With S9, my routine for when clock time matters (e.g. if programming the PVR) is to always check/correct time before programming. Time is correct mostly, but not always. A clock is kinda like birth control; only useful if it works all the time.

AZBox will keep time pretty good even when powered off if it's connected to a network with internet access. When it's turned on it polls a time server on the internet and sets the correct time.

Have to wonder how any digital device if at least on stand by power can't keep time properly. The clock chip either works or it doesn't as long as it gets power. Its not like its a mechanical clock that could fluctuate with voltage. Does someone purposefully make digital clocks that don't work or do these STB's just recycle defective clock chips... maybe they failed to pass QC tests for an accurate clock so are really cheap?

I've gone to manual time setting on my S10 because on any auto setting it changes time depending on the sat I visit.

Have to wonder how any digital device if at least on stand by power can't keep time properly. The clock chip either works or it doesn't as long as it gets power. Its not like its a mechanical clock that could fluctuate with voltage. Does someone purposefully make digital clocks that don't work or do these STB's just recycle defective clock chips... maybe they failed to pass QC tests for an accurate clock so are really cheap?

I've gone to manual time setting on my S10 because on any auto setting it changes time depending on the sat I visit.

That's how I have mine setup, yet it still loses time. :(

oblio for what its worth, according to pansat a while ago the clocks are designed for 50 hz & dont play with 60 hz too well.... they later came out with a fix for it, so all hope is not gone

oblio for what its worth, according to pansat a while ago the clocks are designed for 50 hz & dont play with 60 hz too well.... they later came out with a fix for it, so all hope is not gone

I understand the concept and how it could apply to AC direct powered mechanical clocks (or other mechanical devices like turntables that use line frequency for motor timing) but I'd think digital clocks will use the DC current provided by the power supply/transformer so doesn't matter what AC line power you have. Chip doesn't see it. Also don't see production lines set up to make mass production chips that are street power or geography restricted which is why it appears digital device power supplies are built with internal transformers to either handle 220-50 or 110-60 or these days more typically both (with only needing to change the cord plug) or have an external region specific transformer on the power cord. Maybe Pansat too used off spec clock chips (this line power thing perhaps being a handy excuse) but even my old Back Bird and my old Silver Bullet clone kept good time as did my VS STB's.

I thnk it just comes down to Open Box cutting corners to hit a retail price point which meant they used the cheapest possible clock chips without a concern if they work or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)