S2 Ku-band LNBFs - models wanted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I got my 120cm up and I can't lock the AMC-21 S2 feed, very likely because my cheap LNBF isn't phase stable enough. The dish looks very good and clean with the upgrade from 90cm to 120 cm so I don't think it's nearby sat interference like I believed I had with my 90cm when I could see very minor traces of G18 stuff while on AMC-21.

What LNBFs are you all using on 120cm or smaller dishes to lock KU-band S2 signals - AMC-21's or others? Please list manufacturer and model number so I can do some LNBF research and purchasing. All I've seen mentioned so far is Invacom QPH031 in various postings related to S2 Ku signals.

Thanks.

I'm using a old primestar dish (84E) fitted with a Hughes lnb and i'm guessing its in the .08 range
here's the model # 1025448-0008a

Link to one on ebay

LINK to info

I use the same LNB (in fact I bought one from gabshere) on my 1m Primestar and have no problems with the S2 on AMC 21.

One thing I would suggest, and I am not saying you have a problem currently involving this, but make danged sure your dish is DEAD on, aiming-wise. S2 is NOT as forgiving as DVB-S is.:cool:

Basically, DVB-S2 is independent to dish, LNBF, cable, switches.
Just be sure all the parts delivering highest signal level without interference/cross polarization to your receiver. That's more critical component of your endeavor.

I did the opposite. I went from 1.2m to 90 cm. I have tried two different LNBFs. The Invacom SNH-031 Universal Single LNBF worked great. I also used the TechSAT Tracker II+ which is what I am currently using on the 90 cm Ariza dish with no problems; I am getting the AMC-21 S2 feed with 75+ quality.

Henry

Stay with the OEM feedhorn on the Primestar. It is designed to illuminate only the reflector. A standard LNBF will not perform as well as the standard feedhorn bolted up to a LNB.

yes ...

I'm using a old primestar dish (84E) fitted with a Hughes lnb ...
Will that lnb bolt up to the OEM feedhorn on a 1.0/1.2m Primestar?
yes its the same size...
... and here are some other choices which will fit just fine:
Anole said:
You can also bolt on a bandstacked LNB from a DishNetwork SuperDish 105° or 121°.
Both are now retired, and if you are in an area where they were used, dig 'em out of the trash.

Yes, you could also bolt on a QPF-031 LNB. That's the F (Flange) , not the H (feedHorn) model.

What is your receiver, cable, motor, LNB, and switch situation?

Receiver is TT-3200, cable is RG-6 quad, motor is HH120, LNB is some $10'ish cheap LNBF whose label has already faded in some parts and came off the LNB in other parts of the label, and the switch is none (LNBF to 2-port, non-diseqc splitter good up to 2200 MHz with one port to TT-3200 and other port with dc block to my HP spectrum analyzer).

considering the cheapness and intolerance (non phase stable, etc) characteristics of cheap ku-band LNBFs, that's why I think it's the weakest link, and isn't related to aiming or installation since I have a lab-grade spectrum analyzer for getting everything setup right.

I'm thinking how to measure and compensate a drift of your LOF - tune to other working mux, play with freq and get the drift value, then while tuning to the DVB-S2 mux try to change freq accordingly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts