S541Old CUI Update Hopper with Sling

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
One of my two HWS seems to have developed a problem since the update. The tv will suddenly go black, power is still on but no response to the remote. It has happened three times since the update Thursday. Once it did it when turned on and the other two times when making changes via the remote. I did a red button reset one of the times and the other two it came back on by itself after three or four minutes. Just did a power off reset this afternoon. The other HWS got the update first and is working fine. Guess if it happens again I'll be giving them a call.

There is a recent update to the ViPs that is kind of annoying. I considered starting a new thread about it. It has to do with minor changes with how trick play works. Anyone else notice?

From now on, this is how I will picture navychop

hqdefault.jpg

I highly doubt that. ;)
You could be right, but that was my sense earlier this year, but Dish could have changed their minds; perhaps Echostar persuaded them. Let's say I was shocked when recently Scott gave a specific month (this past October?) for CUI to load on Hoppers and HWS's (if my faulty memory serves). My sense was CUI for Hopper and HWS's was abandoned. I don't know anymore. I think it would cause problems in the short run, especially if users lose some features (that they use and count on, of course) after they have CUI forced upon them. IMHO, Dish just may be better off NOT updating Hopper and HWS's to CUI. I think it would be a short-term fiasco, especially with some of the noted changes of current features, etc. I can hear the phone calls as frineds and family track me down because their Hopper won't do this or that anymore, along with the buggy behavior.

Reactions: Tony S
My sense was CUI for Hopper and HWS's was abandoned. I don't know anymore.
Dish originally said all Hoppers would get it. Later they removed the original Hopper from getting it, saying the hardware was inadequate. Then, apparently Dish either highly tweaked and optimized the software or they secretly updated the hardware in the original Hoppers because last word is, those models will now get the new interface.

You could be right, but that was my sense earlier this year, but Dish could have changed their minds; perhaps Echostar persuaded them. Let's say I was shocked when recently Scott gave a specific month (this past October?) for CUI to load on Hoppers and HWS's (if my faulty memory serves). My sense was CUI for Hopper and HWS's was abandoned. I don't know anymore. I think it would cause problems in the short run, especially if users lose some features (that they use and count on, of course) after they have CUI forced upon them. IMHO, Dish just may be better off NOT updating Hopper and HWS's to CUI. I think it would be a short-term fiasco, especially with some of the noted changes of current features, etc. I can hear the phone calls as frineds and family track me down because their Hopper won't do this or that anymore, along with the buggy behavior.
I have posted similar thoughts here on this board.

Dish was originally going to force release the new interface in March, then September, then October. I think it did not release because there are still issues that need to be resolved. I agree that Dish will be inundated with phone calls when they force the new interface on the old Hoppers (even if it works perfectly).

If Dish can make the new interface work on all of the old Hoppers (Hopper 1 and HWS), I think it would be worth it for Dish to force update everyone so that Dish will only have to maintain one version of software. However, if it turns out the the old Hoppers cannot run the new interface, I think Dish should just leave the old Hoppers the way they are.

The way it is now where you can choose whether or not to update to the new interface, is also a good solution. Also, giving the new interface to new customers is sensible. Since they have no experience with the old interface, they won't be complaining about missing features or different ways to do things with the new interface.

I have posted similar thoughts here on this board.

Dish was originally going to force release the new interface in March, then September, then October. I think it did not release because there are still issues that need to be resolved. I agree that Dish will be inundated with phone calls when they force the new interface on the old Hoppers (even if it works perfectly).

If Dish can make the new interface work on all of the old Hoppers (Hopper 1 and HWS), I think it would be worth it for Dish to force update everyone so that Dish will only have to maintain one version of software. However, if it turns out the the old Hoppers cannot run the new interface, I think Dish should just leave the old Hoppers the way they are.

The way it is now where you can choose whether or not to update to the new interface, is also a good solution. Also, giving the new interface to new customers is sensible. Since they have no experience with the old interface, they won't be complaining about missing features or different ways to do things with the new interface.
Right, but remember it is not just the issue of interface but the issue of some features no longer available with CUI. That would be the rub for subscribers. If it were just a new "look" and organization they were updating, fine. But they can't take away even minor features and expect subscribers to take it well.

Dish originally said all Hoppers would get it. Later they removed the original Hopper from getting it, saying the hardware was inadequate. Then, apparently Dish either highly tweaked and optimized the software or they secretly updated the hardware in the original Hoppers because last word is, those models will now get the new interface.
Then it could be as Tony S. suggests: about decreasing costs to maintain just one software for all Hoppers. And we all know how cost averse Charlie is, don't we: the spreadsheets are his prayer mat. I just hope that if it is forced, it is ready for Prime Time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)