SA 8000HD problem

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Hey, just installed Comcast and they gave me a Scientific Atlantic(?) 8000HD HD-DVR.

Problem I am having is that when I record or use the time shifting features on a program with Dolby Digital sound, the sound keeps cutting out.

Over the weekend, I recorded Dawn of the Dead from StarzHD, and each time I played it back, the sound "skipped" or "cut" out at different spots. Makes me think the recording is ok, but somehow the playback is not.

I currently am using component 1080i and coax digital audio set to Dolby Digital. If I set the audio out to "default" instead of DD, it will play fine, but only in ProLogic.

Any thoughts? I have a service call for Thursday, but would be nice if there was an easy solution. Maybe I just need a new box?

Thanks,
-John

UPDATE: Looking at AVS, theres lots of problems with the 8000HD (including the DD cutting out, and SD/HD not active at the same time). Oh well... maybe they'll give me an 8300HD if its available.

UPDATE 4/21: Swapped with another 8000HD box, same problem. No other HD-DVRs are available in my area. Installer said he had never seen that problem before and will report it to technical support. Oh yeah! Comcast Quality! :no

UPDATE 4/22: Got another service call for next week. Comcast claims it's my Yamaha audio reciever causing the problems (NOT!). They are going to bring a standard (non-dvr) HD box to swap it with if they can not get the HD-DVR working properly. Atleast the standard HD box will have DVI and SD+HD active at the same time (or so I am told).

I also have audio drops too on my SA8300 with Cox San Diego, but it effects both DD and analog audio outputs and occurs on both recorded and live programs. I'm usually recording network shows, so its source may be the local network affiliate (usually ABC).

Well, I canceled the service call. I guess I'm just stuck with the 8000HD. It seems a little better lately, except for the DD audio cutting out.

One thing that I have noticed is that some of the Encore (SD) movies that I have recorded have a little pixelation in them. Is this from the 8000HD box saving them to disk, or is it just the signal that I am receiving from comcast? I haven't noticed any pixelation in live SD TV, but I dont watch it live from midnight-6am or so (when most of my recordings go off).

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts