SA 8300 HDC Video Source Issue

briguyiu

Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I just got upgraded to a 8300HDC box, which hasn't caused me too many problems yet other than the video source button does not go to the aux input on the front of box anymore. Nothing happens when I click video source other than the "cable" button lights up. I read in another forum that a TW customer had this problem and used an M2 button, which our remote (8800L) does not have. Does anybody have any ideas?

Hmmm...just musing here...I have the old 8300HD DVR and remote AT8400. It has a 'video source' button on it at the very lower left which I have never used.

Am watching for answers to yours...may help me understand the button on mine.

The video source button in my experiance was used for TVs not the boxs. (I have limited experiance with the new HDC boxes I dread the day I have to get one) But usally that video source will when remote is on "TV" mode switch your tv between modes. Depending on how it was programmed to your tv.

With my old box (the 8300 HD) the video source button worked to change to the aux input on the front of the box....I may have to resort to the getting the older version if BH will let me...

I have both an 8300 and an 8300 HDC. I don't have any problems with the 8300 but the HDC sucks! I have called TW-Northeast Ohio to get some help with it but I am just wasting my time...TW's customer service is HORRIBLE!
The video source button on my 8300 changes my screen size settings (widescreen, stretch, normal), which was a feature that I liked, but that button on the HDC does NOTHING.
I hate the new HDC box and I am getting ready to switch to DirecTV because TW has proved to me on too many occasions that they do not need me as a customer.

It is really strange how they manage to do so many stupid things, alienating their customers.

They can only do it because they don't =really= have any competition. Satellite is, in my mind, a different product. Put two cable systems in the same locality and see how fast things improve.

It is really strange how they manage to do so many stupid things, alienating their customers.

They can only do it because they don't =really= have any competition. Satellite is, in my mind, a different product. Put two cable systems in the same locality and see how fast things improve.

Yes, I agree! Time Warner is the worst too. Not too far from me is a small town that has their own independent cable system and Time Warner is there also. TW's prices in that area, for the same service that I get, are half the price just to compete with the local cable system. I only WISH that I had that advantage. I'm sure that the service sucks there as well but still! I have always been reluctant to go with satellite but I have had enough.

In orlando in a good portion of our market we compete with Comcast.. and nothing changes.... You have several choices on who you get your TV and internet and phone from..

You have plenty of choices in Brevard.

You have Bright House, Dish Network, Directv, OTA, FTA to name a few.

You choose to have brighthouse because you feel it is a better choice of the options you have available.

Like I said, the sats are a different product to me...not close enough to cable to be a competitor...inet access as but one example. Big overlap of course, but enough different that they are not same same. And surely you do not view OTA as a competitor; you would compare five channels to hundreds as being the same thing?

What I said was, I want two CABLE companies. I guarantee you, there would be changes to the customers benefit.

As I said they are competitors they offer the same type of service. You just prefer what BHN offers over the others... Otherwise you would have the others.. You just want another company that is the same as BHN but not BHN.. Clearly in your area BHN is the best choice for TV service.. The best choice for internet service. Which is why you are with them.

Ok you want a choice better then BHN.. Thats fair to say.. But to say BHN is the only choice is not fair.

You aren't getting it. I want a competitor to BHN, on the same playing field, to make BOTH of them provide better services, more services, at better prices. The reason BHN can price as it does is because sat, OTA etc are NOT competitors.

They are not? Someone should tell dish/directv that because they sure are trying hard as hell to compete.... All those "anti-cable" commercials must be for nothing...

OTA and FTA also have a big advantage over cable in price.. Cable has an advantage in "ease of use" if you will.

Satellite has the advantage of bandwidth (for now) and it seems in price also. They also have a NATIONAL footprint, where as the cable companies only have a local footprint. Directv and Dish each have more customers then BHN does.. They could both Buy BHN if they chose.. BHN could not return the favor.

Let me repeat, with a one word addition that I thought was clearly implied--but apparently needs to be stated explicitly...

"You aren't getting it. I want a CABLE [added] competitor to BHN, on the same playing field, to make BOTH of them provide better services, more services, at better prices."

In other words, I don't care if you think sat, OTA, etc are competitors. **I** want a CABLE competitor to BHN. You can say--but you already have competition. I think I don't. I want a DIRECT, SAME EXACT DELIVERY METHOD competitor. The things you mention are not DIRECT, SAME EXACT DELIVERY METHOD competitors.

Are you afraid of the competition? If, as you contend, there are already multiple competitors, adding one more wouldn't make a bit of difference. So,why do you want to restrict my options? If you are right, it wouldn't affect BHN, because they are the best anyway, and already have direct (not!) competition.

Let me repeat, with a one word addition that I thought was clearly implied--but apparently needs to be stated explicitly...

"You aren't getting it. I want a CABLE [added] competitor to BHN, on the same playing field, to make BOTH of them provide better services, more services, at better prices."

In other words, I don't care if you think sat, OTA, etc are competitors. **I** want a CABLE competitor to BHN. You can say--but you already have competition. I think I don't. I want a DIRECT, SAME EXACT DELIVERY METHOD competitor. The things you mention are not DIRECT, SAME EXACT DELIVERY METHOD competitors.

Are you afraid of the competition? If, as you contend, there are already multiple competitors, adding one more wouldn't make a bit of difference. So,why do you want to restrict my options? If you are right, it wouldn't affect BHN, because they are the best anyway, and already have direct (not!) competition.

I agree with you 100%. I know what you are saying too....I get it. I think he is just trying to convince himself....if I'm not mistaken, he works for BHN.

I never said anything about caring if another "cable" company came in the area. I was just making sure you were aware of the other options and getting the facts straight. BrightHouse is not the only provider of tv in your area. There are several other choices for tv in your area. You do not feel as if Directv or Dish or FTA etc are as good as bright house so you want another choice as good or better then bright house. I understand that completely. But at least say the truth. BHN is not the only provider in the area of TV service.

What about FIOS would they be acceptable as competition? I mean they are not the same exact delivery method..

Any new player in a market will affect the dominate person in the market. Regardless of the quality of the new comer. usally though the first people to leave are those who are "trouble" customers anyway who always complain about everything. When The Sat companies first started advertising heavy we were taking big losses of subs because people wanted the "new thing" or were just madd at brighthouse. It eventually turned around though when they realized what they left. We begun gaining more sat subs then we were losing to sat.

So in the end you want a different cable company. Ok, but what would the incentive be for a new company to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a system here? Look at verizon in tampa. They came off strong and look at the churn rate, and how many customers are coming back after a short period. BHN is improveing constantly even without as you say "direct competition" (even though I beleive they do have it) RR "turbo" is up to 12mbit now from10mbit without a price increase (except normally yearly increase a month or so ago) and when DOCSIS3.0 and wideband is availible from BHN you'll be seeing 50 - 100mbit services availible.

I agree with you 100%. I know what you are saying too....I get it. I think he is just trying to convince himself....if I'm not mistaken, he works for BHN.

Yes I work for them, but I am always truthful. I say the things BHN does that sucks and say the things they do well..

The truth of this debate is BHN DOES have competition. Several companies. He has MANY choices.. He just does not like them. Which is fine I dont like them either. If I had FIOS in my area id have FIOS internet for sure. 50mbit hell ya!! But when BHN upgrades this year and offers dam near the same before the end of the year id be switching back to BHN..

Getting another "cable" company to overbuild brevard county, may never happen. Bellsouth was in the process of overbuilding, but it has literally come to a stand still. I haven't seen any new cable/fiber ran in months.

I personally can't stand the picture quality of BHN. Thats why I have 4 satellite dishes. I subscribe to dish network. I completely enjoy their service. Oh, and don't give me that crap about "well when it rains you lose signal" No, I don't.

In fact, the last time I lost service was when the power went out. It's all in the dish you have and how it's aimed.

Y'all still aren't comprehending what I am saying. If another cable (or FIOS--still is a cable into the house) company is here, I am sure we will get better and more services at lower prices from both companies. I might well stay with BHN, but with more and better for less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)