Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
I came across this,

NHK World Premium - Conducting a Reception Test

Summery,

NHK World sells an encrypted service via Powervu for "Home Users"

"NHK World Premium" is transmitted via telecommunication satellites in digital format. Therefore, to receive the transmission, you will need a satellite reception antenna and a special digital satellite tuner (IRD)."

Digital Satellite Tuner (IRD)

For "NHK World Premium" is an encrypted digital transmission service via telecommunications satellite, you will additionally need a digital satellite tuner (IRD) PowerVu model manufactured by Scientific-Atlanta (SA). Using the same IRD, you can also receive "NHK World TV."

Before purchasing your IRD, please contact NHK Global Media Services and receive an "IRD Order Form." The IRD retailer will not sell you an IRD without this "IRD Order Form."

IRD purchases are handled by the below sales representatives of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.

fascinating! (ya made me look):

I was trying to figure out what you get, and so far have found only these facts:

1) price per month is: 3,000.00 JPY (yen) = 33.7284 USD (dollars)

2) quote: Article 2 (Contractees) The service is for use by companies and places of business only.

The main page does seem to suggest home viewing through the following sites:
3) quote: *In the U.S.A., Canada, and Europe, please contact JNG or JSTV.

I think you can get this channel on Dish Network, but I've run out of steam.
Perhaps you've followed up on all the links and jumped through all the hoops. :rolleyes:
Tell us what more you've learned.

interesting...the channel is free though

I have one of those 9234 receivers...no card though

> interesting...the channel is free though

The regular channels are free, the NHK World Premium is encrypted.

> The main page does seem to suggest home viewing through the following sites:
3) quote: *In the U.S.A., Canada, and Europe, please contact JNG or JSTV.

JNG links to TVJapan which, while available from Dish Network for 25 bucks a month US, is worthless in my opinion.

The main point of my post had more to do with the SA receiver then the specific channel.

Others had wondered about getting service activated on a SA receiver and with the exception of the Military TV service (I forget the name) this is the only other example.

Hopefully others will follow. 4DTV needs to die.

The main point of my post had more to do with the SA receiver then the specific channel.

Others had wondered about getting service activated on a SA receiver and with the exception of the Military TV service (I forget the name) this is the only other example.
Yes, I realized I'd jumped to the wrong conclusion after I went out to lunch. :rolleyes:

Very interesting way that activation works.
I'm wondering what the "order form" causes to happen?
NHK gets your serial number? ... so they can activate/deactivate it as needed?
Or, do they have to 'bless' the sale to you the end-user?
So many questions. :)

Goes to show you PowerVu can be authorized for home use. Now if there could be a way to get something done so we could subscribe to the PowerVu master feeds, that would be killer :)

nice idea:

Goes to show you PowerVu can be authorized for home use.
Now if there could be a way to get something done so we could subscribe to the PowerVu master feeds, that would be killer :)
Well, I didn't think this receiver does Hi Def... so that's a big dead end ...
... and I never got a price ...
BUT, lacking the 922's motor and servo control, it should be a -lot- cheaper... :cool:
The worst problem is, the receiver can't change birds (?) !

Great point on the lack of high definition.

Hopefully SA and a service provider will jump on board.

I do know one thing from digging around, Turner broadcasting requires cable providers to get authorization from them directly before any reseller / uplinker is allowed to sell them them. (In this case HITS) Sooooooo, I am wondering if a person with a "Company" could call them up, get authorization, then fax it over to SA for activation.

Where is this IS-9 satellite they're talking about? I couldn't find it on LyngSat.

I do know one thing from digging around, Turner broadcasting requires cable providers to get authorization from them directly before any reseller / uplinker is allowed to sell them them. (In this case HITS) Sooooooo, I am wondering if a person with a "Company" could call them up, get authorization, then fax it over to SA for activation.

Turner will only activate commercial satellite receivers; specifically the D9850, D9828, D9854, or D9858.

Now if you gave them an IRD number for a model other than those mentioned, would they be able to tell the difference? Depends how thorough their database that SA gave them is. Or if each receiver model has a specific number range of IRD numbers.

You can use a commercial satellite receiver to "create your own cable system" with modulators. I have a rack in my clothes closet with Motorola and SA commercial satellite receivers with analog and digital modulators. If you have the money, ambition, and a dish farm, you can create a cool little system. If you can afford commercial subscriptions, you can enjoy the master feeds.

You can use a commercial satellite receiver to "create your own cable system" with modulators. I have a rack in my clothes closet with Motorola and SA commercial satellite receivers with analog and digital modulators. If you have the money, ambition, and a dish farm, you can create a cool little system. If you can afford commercial subscriptions, you can enjoy the master feeds.

I have a simple Smatv system in my house. I have 3 analog modulated channels. My DSR-922 is on channel 54, my Pansat 2700 is on channel 4, and my DTT-900 is on channel 3. This is mixed with the OTA antenna and sent to all tv's.

I always wanted to go full out like you did but don't have the tall $$$ for that. You said you have commercial subscriptions, which channels and about how much do you pay. It may the only way we will be able to get the master feeds of our favorite channels in the future.

I would be interested to know what model modulators you use. I've been looking for something that does ASI to QAM for some HD channels.

When the black day comes for my beloved 4DTV, I too would be interested in other options. I despise what the small dish providers have done to work against and convert us to the masses, DN in particular. I worry that NPS aka All American Direct has a relationship that is too close.

I would rather pay a broker to sub across the border than to support pizza or cable. Meanwhile my 18 OTA channels, RTV and wild feeds up there will serve my needs should such an event arise.

The QAM modulators I use are from RL Drake (they make the best). I use the TMQAMasi, along with the DUC-864 RF upconverter. Both are around $300 each. You can go cheaper with a cheaper upconverter, like a static channel or something. Plus you need the $100 chassis and $150 power supply. The modulators are super easy to set up. I have three in my chassis. I used Mr. Bush's "economic stimulus" money to buy a modulator and upconverter, the others I just saved up.

The AMC 1 tp2 multiplex (includes DW-TV) is on channel 90, 64QAM, from a Scientific Atlanta D9850, AETN pool, used in FTA mode
PBS HD01 and HD02 multiplex is on channel 94, 256QAM (64QAM just would not work, the bitrate was so high) from a Scientific Atlanta D9850, AETN pool, used in FTA mode
Weather Channel HD is on channel 16, 64QAM, from a Motorola DSR-4530

I can't really say how much it costs for the commercial subscription to the Weather Channel because it would breach my contract, but know that it's too high. :)

Some people think I'm crazy for investing this money into it, and maybe I am, but I'm financially stable, and I just love the system I have. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)