Sad farewell to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish really needs to look at things, while not everyone will have great cable offers like yours they do need to realize that the grasp they had on programming and equipment like HD DVR's is eroding quick.

As more and more cable companies get with the times more and more are going to flock away from satellite never to come back again.

This is something that should scare the hell out of Charlie and the boys.

Cable doesn't scare me. Their past price gouging will keep me from going that route.

The one to watch are the phone companies. When Verizon and the other Baby Bells come out with Fios, there will be some destructive category shifts. Huge bandwidth increases will be tough for the Dishies to compete with. Buckets of HD with only minor compression artifacts will have me reaching for the rip cord if they can build a halfway decent DVR.....

COX HD DVR Misses recordings and crashes a lot on HDMI.

Check out this thread on there HD DVR.

Scott is right. Its like how the 921 was. I think cable is about 2 Years behind in technology and a stable HD DVR.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=414680&page=86&pp=30

========= 100% All Digital Soon =========
In my Market Cox is working on Digital Simulcast for this Spring, that means 100% digital for those analog channels, just like Dish is 100% digital.
-
-
-
-

Last edited:
Sound and Video quality compared to comcast in philly area pales to what you get on Dish. I am very happy with Dish and for all the channels in the PLatinum pak on Dish you would have to pay much more for the same on cable, and not get as many HD channels...

ScottChez said:
COX HD DVR Misses recordings and crashes a lot on HDMI.

Check out this thread on there HD DVR.

Scott is right. Its like how the 921 was. I think cable is about 2 Years behind in technology and a stable HD DVR.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=414680&page=86&pp=30

========= 100% All Digital Soon =========
In my Market Cox is working on Digital Simulcast for this Spring, that means 100% digital for those analog channels, just like Dish is 100% digital.
-
-
-
-

I don't know what Cox uses. What my TWC uses is the SA 8300HD. My 2 DVRs have been very stable, have not crashed a single time in the 30+ days I have had them and have not missed a single recording. I am recording 2-3 programs a day.

I never had Dish's DVR so I can't compare them to the SA8300HD but so far I have been very satisfied with them and how I am using them. Considering I paid $0.0 for the right to use them, that is a good deal.

Mario.

I'm with BobMurdoch. And coax based systems require too much maintenance and are subject to damage & deterioration too easily. Fiber may be susceptible to damage, but will probably last longer and have less maintenance.

I had horrible service from the local cableco. Too many excuses about "balancing the system." Too many service calls. Horrible PQ. I'm glad some folks have good cablecos, but I think Fios, where it will be available, will crush coax cablecos and give satcos a run for their money. A guy in my office just got Fios- his DVR sounds very similar to the ViP622.

After my botched plans to add Dish along with my cable got canceled, I think I am just going to stick with only cable for a while and see what happens. I have Adelphia and our Analog, Digital and HD look great. We have a fairly new cable system where I live. I am very happy with my 2 6412 DVR's and my cable card. In HD I get 5 DC Locals, HDNet, HDNM, INHD, INHD2, SHO-HD, MAX-HD, HBO-HD, Starz-HD, Discovery-HD, NFL-HD, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD.:hungry:

Wayne

I have access to Mediacom, 5 HD-Lite channels, Buggy Motorola DVR's. picture quality that looks like cartoons. $169 a month for 2 DVR's and 4 Digital boxes, thats not cheap and thats with a $25 come from Dish discount.

Dish $399 up front, have one 622, 4 211's and a 522, and everythng pack $131 a month. I had to buy he other 211's and 522 for a cost of $1000, but they will be worth something on resale. I sold my 921 for $360

One of the things keeping me on Dish is the DVR. The Motorola offered by FIOS is too brain-dead for me. I like the ability to record on 2 tuners and watch different content on 2 different TVs.

I haven't been convinced to go HD because I haven't seen content to justify the investment.

When Verizon comes out with their central DVR server that can be used for all TVs in the house, I will reconsider (provided the DVR functionality is not as brain-dead as their current offering).

I also switched from dish (went to D*) then my local cable co (TWC Rochester) they locked me in a price for 2 years for $60 everything and 4 free boxes. Now that my 2 years are up I just re-signed with dish again and ordered a 622 and a 422? non-dvr hd, from a local dealer. I have to wait for my construction to get done before I can get set up. The reason why I switched is mt father-in-law has the same exact setup I have as far as tv, and his HD looks vastly superior to my cable. Also,the programming price for dish is a lot cheaper once the cable promo is done. HD Platrinum ($99) VS. cable ($160) and extra boxes cost $9 a month with cable.

I have been holding off any upgrades or changing to the new "lease it" offering. Glad I did, looks like SBC is upgrading our area under "Project LightSpeed". There has not been any mention locally on it. I just happen to see new cabinets being installed next to the existing SBC B Boxes, and asked a friend who works for SBC. Was told it is LightSpeed hardware. He didn't know when it would be public. Now I am holding to see what their offering will be. I looked around here, and at dslreports and no info on either site as to offerings or any comments from subscribers as to the QOS.

Well,our cable co.,CHARTER,is a joke,where we live.After 4 years of E*,playing
games,with customers channels,changing channels,so Charlie,can make more
money,and the BSOD.I decided enough,is enough!,I signed with D*,for 1 year.
I found a company,that does'nt charge you 2 months service to start,no BSOD,
several channels in their Total Choice package,that has made it better than AT120.
And it was the same price!.So,for me,so far,this has been the best way for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)