Sad news- Bob Probert Passes Away

Sad to hear, sounds like the details are a bit sktetchy heart issues One of the greatest fighters in the NHL in the 80's. Behind Steve Yzerman, one of the most popular wings, you still see many number 24 jerseys at the joe!

Former NHL'er Bob Probert dead at 45

Former Wings star Bob Probert dead at 45
Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Bob Probert, one of the most popular and rugged players in Red Wings history, died Monday at the age of 45.

Probert collapsed around 2 p.m. on a boat on Lake St. Clair in Windsor, Ontario.

Emergency crews performed CPR on Probert, then transported him to Windsor Regional Hospital, where attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Advertisement

Dan Parkinson, Probert's father-in-law, said in a news conference at the hospital Monday evening Probert developed a "severe chest pain" before collapsing.

"This is a tragedy for the family and totally unexpected," Parkinson said at the news conference.

The family took no questions at the news conference.

Probert spent nine seasons with the Red Wings seven with the Chicago Blackhawks. One of the most feared fighters in NHL history, Probert accumulated 3,300 penalty minutes with 163 goals and 384 points and played in 1988 All-Star Game.

"I'm in shock, total shock," said Joe Kocur, who along with Probert formed the "Bruise Brothers," a hugely popular duo.

Probert, especially, and Kocur were adored by Wings fans for their pugilistic ways.

"It's horrible," Kocur added. "When I heard this afternoon, I cried. I had all sorts of emotions. You don't expect someone at that age to die."

Kocur and Probert co-authored a book called "Bruise Brothers" several years ago and remained good friends after their playing days were over.

"Obviously, we went to different teams through the years, but through it all, we stayed in touch and maintained our friendship," Kocur said. "We still had that bond and that never left. The last time I talked to him (about a month ago), he felt real good. Every time I saw him, he looked fine.

"I just can't believe this."

Jimmy Devellano, the Wings' senior vice-president, drafted Probert (third round) and Kocur (fifth round) in 1983.

Devellano called Probert one of the most talented players he acquired for the Wings.

"He had Hall of Fame type of ability, he really did," Devellano said. "He was superb. He had toughness and ability -- a lot of it."

What damaged Probert's career was a series of problems with drugs and alcohol that forced the Wings to cut ties with him, and put him in an NHL-supervised substance abuse treatment center.

Still, Wings fans loved Probert, who six times in his Wings career had more than 200 penalty minutes. He had 29 goals in the 1987-88 season and had 21 points (eight goals) in the playoffs that spring, leading the Wings to the Western Conference finals, where they lost to Edmonton.

"I've always said that if the Hall of Fame put people in for intimidation and toughness, Probie would be in there," Kocur said. "There's no doubt he was the best. No one was better."

Wings general manager Ken Holland called Probert's passing a "tragic loss."

Said Holland: "I don't know any details yet so I don't want to say too much. But any time someone passes at age 45, it's a tragic loss."

In a statement released by the team, Red Wings owners Mike and Marian Ilitch noted Probert's toughness: "Bob was always there for his teammates and was one of the toughest men to ever play in the NHL. He also was one of the kindest, most colorful, and beloved players Detroit has ever known. We are very saddened by his passing and our thoughts and prayers go out to Bob's family."

Probert, a native of Windsor, retired from the NHL after the 2001-02 season with 935 career regular-season games, 163 goals, 221 assists and 3,300 penalty minutes.

He played in 81 playoff games -- all but 16 with the Wings -- and had 16 goals, 32 assists and 274 penalty minutes.

From The Detroit News: Former Wings star Bob Probert dead at 45 | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I completely forgot to post about Bob Probert's passing last week. Anyway, besides a young Stevie Yzerman the biggest reason to cheer for the Red Wings was their enforcement duo of Probert and Kocur - they really provided a one-two punch. Very sad. RIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)