Sad news for Cleveland Indians Baseball fans if dishnetwork doesnt add channel

Trev19

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
02/03/2006 1:10 PM ET
Liberatore to lead Fastball Sports
Name, logo of new Tribe television network to come soon

Looks like the games will not be broadcast on Fox Sports Ohio, This sucks cause Dish Network might not carry this new channel thats coming out.

Source: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1305869&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

My Thoughts: Dish needs to add this channel to all Ohioians cause im not paying 150 dollars for MLB pack just to watch one damn team.

Last edited:
Trev19 said:
02/03/2006 1:10 PM ET
Liberatore to lead Fastball Sports
Name, logo of new Tribe television network to come soon

Looks like the games will not be broadcast on Fox Sports Ohio, This sucks cause Dish Network might not carry this new channel thats coming out.

Source: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1305869&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

My Thoughts: Dish needs to add this channel to all Ohioians cause im not paying 150 dollars for MLB pack just to watch one damn team.

This was announced a few months back. If I had to choose between Fox Sports Ohio which will continue to carry the Cavaliers and the new Indians channel, I'd take the new Indians channel. I'm not a big basketball fan and enough Cavs games are carried on the local OTA channel and nationally on ESPN/TNT.

I agree whole hearteadly Rocatman, why not just stick with Fox Sports Ohio?

I really hope this doesn't become a common phenomenon because I am NOT paying extra on my bill mandatory for a Chiefs/Royals channel. If this thing emerges Charlie should give them the same deal they did for YES as well and I'm saying this in regards to KC and Cleveland.

Trev19 said:
I agree whole hearteadly Rocatman, why not just stick with Fox Sports Ohio?

The Indians decided they wanted their own station and will actually be in charge of running it with the cable company (I believe Time Warner) as a front. The Indians will receive a large amount of the advertising. I was surprised that Cablevision didn't get the deal since the Indian's owner, Larry Dolan is the brother of Charles Dolan, the owner of Cablevision. In fact, Larry Dolan owns a pretty big chunk of Cablevision. The one good thing going for the Indians channel to be on Dish is Charlie Ergen's relationship with the Dolan's via Voom/Rainbow Media/Cablevision. Also realize that some of the Indians games, I believe 20 will be broadcast by WKYC channel 3 and some maybe in HD. I also believe there is a better chance that the Indians channel will be provided in HD sooner in this relationship than on Fox Sports Ohio.

Last edited:
Rocatman you saying if dish adds this channel it could be broadcast in HD too?

Trev19 said:
Rocatman you saying if dish adds this channel it could be broadcast in HD too?

Down the road, yes as Dish is able to free up bandwidth. It probably wouldn't be until next year but the other factor that is useful for HD is that the Indians channel will not be a full time channel initially or maybe not ever. Dish could then provide it as a special event type channel in HD. I have to believe that the MLB package will have some games in HD in the future and perhaps Dish would provide the HD broadcast to folks in the Cleveland Indians territory without the MLB package.

Just remember guys, if Dish does NOT carry it, you will not get Indians games on Extra Innings if you live in the Indians territory. Same thing happened to us with the Royals for the first 3 months of the season, till they got FSN to carry the Royals network.

Good luck!

If Dish will not carry the YES network, what makes you think they will carry this new channel?

If the price is reasonable then it might happen, but if they start demanding large amounts of money charlie won't deal with them.

You know they will not do Alacart, because they would gain very little subscribers

If DISH, DIRECTV and the cable companies where smart they would mutually agree not to carry these types of networks, because afterall if no other provider has the channel nobody has a reason to switch. The channels would go out of business and would be back on the regional sports network!

Welcome to the club. Us Met fans have the same problem with getting Dish to carrry SNY, which is the new Mets channel. Something tells me they may not carry either one.

yeah well I have both time warner and dish right now, my time warner just crapped out on me, which it usually does about two- three weeks, everything goes great, I come on here write about how nice it is to have a HD-Dvr and on demand, and how I am problem free, and then boom something happens, tonight my HD Dvr went out on me (lost the hard drive I think) I cant switch it out at a counter, and the nearest appointment in my area is 1-2 weeks away-oh wait thats right the super bowl is this sunday, oh well at least my trusty (weird saying that) 811 is still up and running, I will probably drop cable because of my off and on problems and just go back to Dish network, even though I will be losing the Inidans channel!

Claude Greiner said:
If Dish will not carry the YES network, what makes you think they will carry this new channel?

If the price is reasonable then it might happen, but if they start demanding large amounts of money charlie won't deal with them.

You know they will not do Alacart, because they would gain very little subscribers

If DISH, DIRECTV and the cable companies where smart they would mutually agree not to carry these types of networks, because afterall if no other provider has the channel nobody has a reason to switch. The channels would go out of business and would be back on the regional sports network!

Actually if they offered the Indians channel ala carte for let's say 1 or 2 dollars a month during baseball season, I believe most of the Dish subscribers in the Cleveland area would subscribe. Realize that last year the Indians had higher average ratings than the LeBron James led Cavaliers by about a point and a half and of course the Cavs play primarily during the winter months when folks are inside watching T.V. why the Indians play during the spring/summer/fall when folks are outside enjoying the good weather. This is a major reason why the Cleveland Indians decided to start their own network. They felt they could make more money with the ad revenue then what they could by contracting it out to Fox Sports Ohio. They can also tie their in stadium ad contracts to their T.V. ad contracts. In addition, as I mentioned previously, Charlie Ergen/Dish relationship with Voom/Rainbow Media/Cablevision/Dolan's who own the Indians makes a deal likely.

Another interesting aspect to this is that Cablevision use to own part of Fox Sports Ohio and then during the Voom soap opera, Cablevision and Fox swapped part ownerships in several regional sports networks so Cablevision no longer owns any part of Fox Sports Ohio. Its unfortunate that the Cavaliers have a contract with Fox Sports Ohio through either 2007 or 2008 because I believe the new owner would have joined up with Larry Dolan on this new channel.

I'm watching this very closely, I won't do any upgrade to mpeg 4 until I see what Dish does. I WILL be watching the Indians on opening day with or without Dish Network. :D

timmy1376 said:
Just remember guys, if Dish does NOT carry it, you will not get Indians games on Extra Innings if you live in the Indians territory. Same thing happened to us with the Royals for the first 3 months of the season, till they got FSN to carry the Royals network.

Good luck!

Which means along the line I'm footing a bill I shouldn't be. It's bad enough the Chiefs expected us to finance a new stadium for them with that BS Bi-State tax which I voted against.

rocatman said:
I believe 20 will be broadcast by WKYC channel 3 and some maybe in HD.
20 games on WKYC?! That's about one game a week! That wouldn't be too bad for me! Especially if in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts