Sad...

sixy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
St. Albans, West Virginia
I was all set to get Voom installed today, but unfortunately, they never showed up to install. :-( They were supposed to be here between 8am & 12pm today. I called Voom at 1pm, because I had to leave for work by 3:30. If they weren't here soon, it was going to be too late.

She was super nice, and I appreciate that. She called Installers Inc, and then called me back instead of leaving me on hold. They weren't going to be able to make it by the time I had to leave, so she rescheduled me for Saturday. I'm sad that I didn't get it installed, but stoked for Saturday. I'm hoping they're done early, so I can play all weekend.

I was supposed to get installed today too. The outfit didn't show up or call, nor could we reach them. Supposed to have been installed from 9-12 noon.

Lem52

Please send "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> an email to make sure your installation is done and you don't get caught up in this again. This is not accepatable from the local installer. Please report them...

After calling Voom about the missed installation on Monday March 22nd, the installation was rescheduled for a week later on the 29th. Then on Tuesday night the installer calls and says they will be here today, 24th of March to install. I will let you know how it goes.

Also, he says that he is unable to approve a second line for my antenna to get the locals. Whats up with that? I thought it was installation of up to 4 lines.

Lem52

You should have received a copy of the work order in email (I know I did). Do not let him get away with not running a second line if you want it. If you have to, pay him to do it (shouldn't be mroe than $25-$50) and then get Installs Inc to force them to reimburse you. I don't care what anyone says, diplexers are the devil :).

Incompetent (Install) Inc

I can comiserate, I have been stood up twice now. 1st excuse was that the equipment was bad (I could have told them that, just from this forum) and the following appointment was cancelled becasue the installer was sick. Do they think that we don't have to be a work? The sad part is no one called me to tell me, no email, nothing. Then they bump me another two weeks to April 3, 2004. My original date of install was Mar 13.

This install experince can really tarnish the growth of the company, I suggest Voom look into other methods.

I can tell you this though, if this install isn't perfect, they will be back every day until it is. Not to rant but there service stinks!!

Diplexer's NOT the DEVIL.....Ignorant people/installer's are!

All i have to say is that Diplexer's are NOT the devil in all cases! Mine work perfectly and i am sure other's do too!

Sean, even when it works it is still leaching signal power. Just think, you might work BETTER without it ;)

madpoet said:
Sean, even when it works it is still leaching signal power. Just think, you might work BETTER without it ;)

hmmm.....I said it works perfectly, how much better do you think it could get?... :rolleyes:

again, for some this may be an issue, and for some it will not. It does not mean that a blanket policy of installing 2 lines should be implemented or trumpeted on these forums. I would venture a guess that more than 50% of the people who are complaining/asking for two lines do not even need it.

madpoet said:
When I first setup my Dish 6000, I tested my signal strength and PQ with and without the diplexers to see if they had any effect on it and it did not. Use a high quality pair of diplexers and there will be no issues.

I guess for me it's a mindset. I would rather have the flexibility of 2 seperate cables than the simplicity of 1. Especially if the 1 might cause me signal loss! You have to admit though, a LOT of people have had OTA issues solved by dropping the diplexer. Even recently, with the supposed "improved" model they have sent.

When I first setup my Dish 6000, I tested my signal strength and PQ with and without the diplexers to see if they had any effect on it and it did not. Use a high quality pair of diplexers and there will be no issues.
It all depends on your location and circumstances for reception. There is a signal loss with diplexors. That's a fact. Whether or not it affects you, or is even perceived by the box, is a separate issue.

In my case, the diplexor only impacted my ability to receive two out of market stations, and the local UPN affiliate operating at very low power. The guide doesn't currently list these stations anyway (I only see them with my Samsung OTA STB), but I'll be glad I have the separate line when VOOM adds the off-air channel scan function.

It really is SAD, an e-mail or phone call costs nothing, what can I say there are installers who are in it for the money and there are installers who entered this occupation for the love of all things satellite!

DarrellP said:

Finally! Someone who has not been "blinded by the light"!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts