Safe to connect receiver to router in Canada?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teevee

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
I think I know the answer to this one but I'd love to hear if any Canadian subscribers have connected their receiver to a router for Directv on Demand. I'd assume this can not be done safely without Directv finding out you live in Canada.

Oh, yes I know it's not legal to get Directv in Canada. Please lease the flaming and bashing out of the replies, that's not what I'm looking for here. Thanks

I think I know the answer to this one but I'd love to hear if any Canadian subscribers have connected their receiver to a router for Directv on Demand. I'd assume this can not be done safely without Directv finding out you live in Canada.

Oh, yes I know it's not legal to get Directv in Canada. Please lease the flaming and bashing out of the replies, that's not what I'm looking for here. Thanks

lol... its inevitable, someone will say something

but yeah, i wouldn't try it.....but if you wanted to try and if you get caught, maybe they'll call you to investigate rather than just shutting off service, if they call you can always use the excuse that you work in the US for a Canadian company and your dsl internet access runs through the company's ISP

First, I would say that IF you're getting DTV in "eh" land, why shake the bushes for VOD? IMHO, the only thing that DTV shines in is sports and there are no VOD sports programs that are W.A.S. Oh, there is also the dollar savings verses Comcast.

Second, I would think DTV has better things to do than check everyone's router for a IP address?

Third, DTV is a BUSINESS that requires sales. Maybe by Canadian law, they shouldn't have any customers up there, but you still represent monthly fees that would go away if they have to pull your plug.

Last edited:
Ya, didn't think it was safe but just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried it.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, but just in regards to people that had "moved," though they are still within the U.S. Any thoughts on the likelihood that they could start checking IP addresses to determine receiver locations?

Moved or Canadian, do you really think they aggressively eliminate paying customers? Don't pay your bill for a few months, that will get your service shut off.

As for your IP specific question, I have no idea.

I do .... they do not check IP addresses. That came from a DTV employee. However, your receiver can "phone home" via the WEB to relay status issues like signal loss etc.... that can result in a visit from a tech ... or at least a press from DTV to "investigate" your alignment.

DO NOT DO IT if you want to keep your service. BlueEos is correct .... you represent income, but if you force their hand they HAVE to act or be fined themselves.

UB.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts