Safe to hook phone cord to hopper ?

dmigut

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Today at the end of my install the tech recommended that I not hook the phone line to the hopper, as he said even if there is a small power surge through the phone line the hoppers have shown to be very sensitive to this and are easily damaged. i can actually run my phone line through my surge protector. I like the caller ID feature. Any thoughts on whether or not this is valid ? Is it safe to use the phone line for caller ID ? Thanks.

I don't know about the phone line power charge but today we put our hoppers through an electrical challenge. It was 105 degrees today and half our town lost electricity. Stayed off about two hours. And then when it came back on it would start, cut off, start, cut off. After about the second false start I went running and pulling cords from the wall sockets. Then it sat another 30 mins before it finally came on to stay.....I hope. Plugged everything in and both hoppers and two joeys came on line perfectly. One hopper has a phone line plugged in and it works fine. I know I was probably lucky...but gotta give the dish system good marks after that.

It doesn't hurt to run the phone cord through a surge protector or UPS.

To bmuone: I have invested in UPS for all expensive electronics and it was worth it with 2 drops in power having already occurred. The "winking" of power or very short loss of a matter of seconds is what makes me nervous as it can be the most damaging type of power loss (power surge is something else). Depending upon your equipment and if it has the latest Energy Star rating, you may need a "pure sine-wave" or a "simulated [pure] sine-wave" UPS.

Last edited:
I have a APC 550VA (330 WATTS) powering my 46" LED LCD and Hopper, with the phone cord going through it as well. It will keep the TV and Hopper up for over 15 minutes on battery. You can get them for like $60 at Walmart, well worth the investment!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts