Sales Tax charged by Dish breakdown

navigates

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Los Angeles
Since we lost the Conus locals on 61.5. The service location for Florida on 77 will associate a 13.7% increase in your bill as a Tax.
Evansville, IL is the best choice at the moment which is as well on 77.

Any news on 61.5 conus locals. I see a few on there. don't know how long they will remain ConUS.
Echostar 16 has spots for Los Angeles. Hope dish rolls out LA Locals on 61.5 so I don't have to search for locals in this way.

Sales Tax Chart

Arkansas6%North Carolina7%
Connecticut6%Ohio6%
Florida13.7%Pennsylvania6%
Hawaii4%Rhode Island7%
Iowa5%South Carolina5%
Kansas5.3%South Dakota4%
Kentucky3%Tennessee8.25%
Maine5%Texas6.25%
Maryland**5%Utah6.25%
Minnesota6.5%Vermont6%
Mississippi7%West Virginia6%
Nebraska5%Wisconsin5%
New Mexico5%Washington, DC10%

** On Pay-Per-View Only.

They are simply pointing out that if you want the big 4 networks and do not want to pay sales tax, Evansville IL is the best market to have your "service address" set to (i.e. you "move" there). This is assuming of course that you can see the EA satellites and the markets on 77 stay on 77 and do not eventually move over to 61.5 spot beams.

I'm guessing that all the 61.5 spots are used up by markets so that the conus ones on 77 will stay there for the foreseeable future...I just wish they had moved cincinnati or jacksonville over to 61.5 and not pittsburgh.

I'm guessing that all the 61.5 spots are used up by markets so that the conus ones on 77 will stay there for the foreseeable future...I just wish they had moved cincinnati or jacksonville over to 61.5 and not pittsburgh.

Probably not, 61.5 has a lot of spots that are not used at this time. It is not clear if Dish will move more markets to 61.5 spots in the future (they could be waiting on fiber backhaul to add more markets at this time).

There are others other than Evansville, however I found Evansville having the broadest spectrum of locals given the mix of saving a few bucks by moving there.

PS: Seeing the Eastern Arc Sats on the west coast is easily possible, however the signal level on 72 on some tp's are in the upper 29's at its best. I haven't seen Rain fade or signal loss once yet. Very stable. That may also be due to the fact its mostly Sunny here :)

Yeah, but the locals are on spot beams. I'm not going to see Evansville in the north SF Bay Area......

Not True. Evansville is on 77 and 77 is all ConUS. You will get it in the SF Bay Area. You need to get an align on the eastern arc for 77 though. I've done it this way as I can't see 129 but can see the eastern arc just fine in Los Angeles. Now if they open up 61.5 and send in the LA Locals on spot. I'll switch to the correct locals.

Probably not, 61.5 has a lot of spots that are not used at this time. It is not clear if Dish will move more markets to 61.5 spots in the future (they could be waiting on fiber backhaul to add more markets at this time).
Which spots aren't being used? It looks to me according to the FCC filing that 71 spots on E16 are already assigned to markets, so which ones aren't being used, and are there more than 71 spots that aren't listed in the FCC filing?

Are you saying that the listed 26 states are the only ones that charge sales tax. So why would someone in Calif move to Il. When neither are on your list. If so, I could just move to Mobile, ALabama and not pay sales tax and keep my same locals.

Which spots aren't being used? It looks to me according to the FCC filing that 71 spots on E16 are already assigned to markets, so which ones aren't being used, and are there more than 71 spots that aren't listed in the FCC filing?

Multiple markets can be put on a spot beam. For example on 129 spot beam 36 ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=CIEL2_SB36.jpg ) does Wichita Falls/Lawton, Ada/Ardmore/Sherman/Denison, Joplin MO, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City DMAs. It is the "Oklahoma City" spot beam. A single spot beam antenna can have multiple transponders, and carry multiple markets. Dish just lists what market is largest and probably closest to where it is pointed when they name it.

Are you saying that the listed 26 states are the only ones that charge sales tax. So why would someone in Calif move to Il. When neither are on your list. If so, I could just move to Mobile, ALabama and not pay sales tax and keep my same locals.

It all depends on what is available on the beam to the location of the sats you can connect to. If I could have seen 129 I would have been in LA. Since I can get 77 and Pittsburgh went away to a SPOT, I had to move to the CONUS on 77's to get any locals if any. I had moved to Jacksonville which increased my bill from 150~ to 175~. Moving to Evansville got it back down.

Multiple markets can be put on a spot beam. For example on 129 spot beam 36 ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=CIEL2_SB36.jpg ) does Wichita Falls/Lawton, Ada/Ardmore/Sherman/Denison, Joplin MO, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City DMAs. It is the "Oklahoma City" spot beam. A single spot beam antenna can have multiple transponders, and carry multiple markets. Dish just lists what market is largest and probably closest to where it is pointed when they name it.
Well, then that still doesn't explain why many markets are still sitting on 77 CONUS and didn't get moved with the others. My logical assessment is that the spots for those geographical areas are already filled to capacity thus no more markets could fit on those spots. That is a different animal than the claim that many spots "are not used".

Well, then that still doesn't explain why many markets are still sitting on 77 CONUS and didn't get moved with the others. My logical assessment is that the spots for those geographical areas are already filled to capacity thus no more markets could fit on those spots. That is a different animal than the claim that many spots "are not used".

As I mentioned above they might have to be uplinked from a different uplink center for the new satellite compared to 77. They could be waiting to move when they have a fiber connection. Or, the spots could be full, it is hard to tell.

As I mentioned above they might have to be uplinked from a different uplink center for the new satellite compared to 77. They could be waiting to move when they have a fiber connection. Or, the spots could be full, it is hard to tell.
Fair enough. But does it require a different uplink center or new fiber to send a CONUS feed vs. a Spotbeam, or to different satellites?

Anyway, this discussion meandered from its original focus. You said there were a lot of unused spots on 61.5, and I haven't seen anything to support that. All the spots in the FCC filing are in use, AFAICT. Maybe not to capacity, but none that are just sitting idle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)