sales tax on my bill what's up with that?

I don't think some are paying a fair share. One thing I know that will happen is a tax on internet sales , internet downloads etc. New York is already doing it. Expect the new administration to close that loop hole. You have to pay sales tax when you go to the local store. You should have to pay it on the internet as well. Look at all that lost revenue. I also think ebay sales should be taxed as income .

Listen the new administration won't be able to close there zipper on there paints! they have so many issues to handle just look at the market today that's pretty sad! i think there going to reduce taxes before they increase taxes and for retailer they price them self's right out of business they can't compete with online anyway even if like you say there going to charge sales tax its a long way off partner! I DON'T SEE IT PERIOD

Well I don't agree with that. Internet sales already are charged a sales tax if the firm does business in the state in which the sales tax would be charged. If they are not doing business there, why should they be paying a tax to the state if they are not using any of the state's infrastructure? I don't buy the "fairness" thing and comparison with local stores and the "internet sales tax" is a red herring. It's not a tax on "internet" sales. It's a tax on out of state purchases.

And as far as the comparison - the advantage of a local store is ease of returns/issues. Mail order purchases take a risk having a harder time with that, so the comparison just isn't there.

When the internet didn't exist and people only shopped via mail order - no one complained about it not having to pay taxes on those mail order purchases. However, because so many people shop on the internet, now it's an issue. Anyway, if there wasn't a tax before, why would there be a tax now? Since when does something become law because more people do it? It's either a law or not. It shouldn't be "we don't charge sales tax until x% of people purchase through the internet".

And lastly - the administration can prohibit internet taxes, but I can't see how they can require it when sales taxes are a matter of state law, and not federal law.

Oh, one more thing - ebay sales are taxed at income. You are required to report these sales on your tax forms. It's just like any other self-employed revenue. Whether or not people actually report the right things is another story but not sure what else you can do. ebay isn't giving you the revenue so they can't issue you a W2 Form.

Ok, off my soapbox. :D

that's 100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13.6% to be correct, it Suck's, this is a nickel & dime state.

That's more like a "sin" tax (such as on tobacco, beer, wine, etc) than a sales tax:(
I believe Texas is 6.25% on programming & lease fees, doesn't seem to be charged on the dvr fee. Texas enacted their tax around 1996, just when dbs was getting started. This is strictly a state tax, none of this money goes to the city or county. I'm sure the cable industry was instrumental in getting it passed.

I don't think some are paying a fair share. One thing I know that will happen is a tax on internet sales , internet downloads etc. New York is already doing it. Expect the new administration to close that loop hole. You have to pay sales tax when you go to the local store. You should have to pay it on the internet as well. Look at all that lost revenue. I also think ebay sales should be taxed as income .

Why should ebay sales be taxed as income tax??? You already paid a sales tax when you bought the item. why be taxed twice on the same item?

Well I don't agree with that. Internet sales already are charged a sales tax if the firm does business in the state in which the sales tax would be charged. If they are not doing business there, why should they be paying a tax to the state if they are not using any of the state's infrastructure? I don't buy the "fairness" thing and comparison with local stores and the "internet sales tax" is a red herring. It's not a tax on "internet" sales. It's a tax on out of state purchases.

And as far as the comparison - the advantage of a local store is ease of returns/issues. Mail order purchases take a risk having a harder time with that, so the comparison just isn't there.

When the internet didn't exist and people only shopped via mail order - no one complained about it not having to pay taxes on those mail order purchases. However, because so many people shop on the internet, now it's an issue. Anyway, if there wasn't a tax before, why would there be a tax now? Since when does something become law because more people do it? It's either a law or not. It shouldn't be "we don't charge sales tax until x% of people purchase through the internet".

And lastly - the administration can prohibit internet taxes, but I can't see how they can require it when sales taxes are a matter of state law, and not federal law.

Oh, one more thing - ebay sales are taxed at income. You are required to report these sales on your tax forms. It's just like any other self-employed revenue. Whether or not people actually report the right things is another story but not sure what else you can do. ebay isn't giving you the revenue so they can't issue you a W2 Form.

Ok, off my soapbox. :D

But many who buy on ebay, amazon never pay sales tax. In fact, that's one reason why they buy from Amazon. Like it or not , sales tax is coming on internet sales . New York is already doing it. The loophole needs to be closed. If you buy on ebay, amazon or any other business even if it's out of the state you should pay the local sales tax. The New York "Amazon Tax " makes people in New York pay tax on items they buy on the internet . I think everyone should.

At Chrono Tech Watches in White Plains, Jerry Nally is glad the clock is ticking on many Internet retailers that don't charge New York sales tax. Nally says those so-called "e-tailers" steal his customers.

"They'll come in our store, look at our product, touch it, play with it, look at the warranties, then go back to the web and buy it tax free," says Nally.

James Sherin, president CEO of the Retail Council New York, said the tax measure would level the playing field between New York retailers and online retailers who are not based in New York.
"This is a first step - but a critical one - in our ongoing battle to level the sales tax playing field between New York retailers and the out-of-state Internet giants that have, for years, capitalized on an unfair and unintended competitive advantage driven solely by tax policy,"Sherin told internetnews.

Last edited:
Why should ebay sales be taxed as income tax??? You already paid a sales tax when you bought the item. why be taxed twice on the same item?
People are making money with ebay and not reporting the income. I know for a fact that this is now going to be another loophole they close.

Depends. Casual sellers may have already paid sales tax and aren't really making an income. But many sellers pick up stuff at bulk auctions or wholesale, without tax. This makes up an astonishing number of ebay sales.

And if someone is making their living off ebay sales, they need to be charged income tax. Internet sales do not place a person in some magical world where they no longer receive government services.

My biggest worry will be states like NY and CA getting the loophole closed so that you pay sales tax where the business is based instead of where the customer is located.

People are making money with ebay and not reporting the income. I know for a fact that this is now going to be another loophole they close.

This is NOT a loophole you must pay income tax any time you make ANY income.
These are IRS rules hell you even are supposed to pay income tax when you get money from a bank robbery. I have seen stories where the IRS did just that.
When I worked for the IRS and my wife sold Avon I made sure that we paid income and social security tax, both parts.

Sales Tax is good. And soon you will see them adding it to everything you buy on the internet. I'm for it . Every state has lost revenue from internet sales including ebay. That is going to change this year.

One real problem with internet co charging sales tax is that in most states the rate is NOT the same over the whole state.
I Ohio, where I live, each county has it's own sales tax rate I don't see how this is going to happen utill the rates are uniform across the whole state.

Back to the satellite sales tax...although one poster mentioned that cable companies have pushed for this, where I live (and likely most everywhere else) cable companies also charge a tax for the franchising fees they must pay to their local communities' government bodies. So overall, I believe sat subscribers still pay a bit less on taxes than cable subs.

Back to the satellite sales tax...although one poster mentioned that cable companies have pushed for this, where I live (and likely most everywhere else) cable companies also charge a tax for the franchising fees they must pay to their local communities' government bodies. So overall, I believe sat subscribers still pay a bit less on taxes than cable subs.

Actually, it varies state to state. In several states, cable companies have successfully lobbied to get satellite customers charged a tax equivalent to franchise fees. That is the reason for the channel 211 we had for so long, about stopping the unfair satellite tax.

He's talking about taxing the person doing the selling. But I don't know WHY he's saying that. It already is.

Technically speaking, it's only income if you sell something at a profit. Anyone who is actually running a business through e-bay must report it on their income taxes anyway...I don't know what additional tax laws would accomplish.

Most average people just selling random stuff on e-bay are likely selling at a loss. If they wanted to go after someone who sold an old comic book for $500, they'd also have to provide a mechanism for individuals to report losses. Not really worth it.

In my business, I sometimes sell equipment on ebay when I upgrade it. It's almost always sold at a loss, and I get a deduction. Every once in a while, I make a slight profit, and then it goes down as income.

Oh, and back on topic...the tax just turned up this month in AZ as well. It's 39 cents, so I'm not going to cry about it.