• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
I could replace a .7 meter with it. (30W) It's a 75e so not that much more gain.
It wouldn't be that much to FG it together, and I have a feed and lnb to use.
But don't think I'd be gaining much for the work of repairing the dish.
What ya all think?
salvageORtrash.jpg

Last edited:
That dish is plastic not fiberglass correct? If plastic its going to be extremely difficult to repair the support arm attachment area.

Last edited:
What do you have more of? Time or Money? :D

Easy enough to fix. Just center, brace and bond. Personally, I have enough projects and would not bother. There are more 1m, 1.2m, 1.8m dishes free for the taking in a 50 mile radius than I would ever know what to do with...

Definitely salvageable if absolutely necessary....but I would just save the mount and trash the reflector.

I Would trash it. All kinds of those for free up here in Canada. Cham probably could find another reflector for you.

Catamount

Keep the nice Channel Master back mounting head/elevation plate for another dish (it has the nice brass elevation adjustment), and throw the rest away.

What do you have more of? Time or Money? :D

Easy enough to fix. Just center, brace and bond. Personally, I have enough projects and would not bother. There are more 1m, 1.2m, 1.8m dishes free for the taking in a 50 mile radius than I would ever know what to do with...
Time or money? Don't have either one, so I would save parts only.
Brian, I wish I lived in your area. There are two that I have asked about more than once. One on a burned out gas station just boarded up for five years. Another on an Ed Jones building. Both answer with, "Well,......we don't know yet." Not many left in my area.

Probably many more available than you would think! Most dishes are installed out of public view on flat roofs and in the rear access areas of the buildings. Managers don't seem to want to make decisions regarding disposal of unused technology. Often they don't know if the equipment is owned, leased or if the gear is to be recovered.

Unless you are a tradesman, most facilities will not permit access to the roof. This certainly makes it more difficult for a hobbyist to remove. You should contact a few local commercial installers/technicians. Often they will or have removed unused / abandoned gear as a favor or value-add service to the business or property manager while performing other work. If they know that there is a Franklin ($100) in it for them, you might have more dishes and NPRMs than you will ever need!

Keep an eye out for service stations or stores that are rebranding. Usually the brand requires new POS terminals and reporting services. The old terminals are removed and if they remain satellite based, installers typically are instructed not to reuse dishes or mounts.

Reactions: Magic Static
I did have that roof problem with one of the Jones dishes. The building owner would not let anyone but a licensed roofer with insurance on his roof. That would have been expensive and not possible.
If I had Franklins to pass around, I would give them to my creditors.
I agree there may be many that can not be seen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts