Salvaging a hard drive out of a DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mmcl26554

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Northern WV
When I switched to the Hopper I had one 922 and two 722k's which I owned. I decided I could re-purpose their internal drives for my computers. The problem is that they are set to not spin up when power is first applied but rather wait for a command from the SATA controller to spin up. I have studied the issue extensively on the internet and tried at least 3 different programs to fix this. HDPARM a linux based program has said it turned off the PUIS. power up in standby. But it has not. Also tried HDAT2 but it doesn't seem to boot the computer with all the options to change the desired setting in the firmware. Sometimes this power up in standby setting is set with jumpers but the drives have no jumper pins. If anyone has been successful fixing this on a Dish receiver SATA hard drive I sure would like to know how you did it.
Michael

When I switched to the Hopper I had one 922 and two 722k's which I owned. I decided I could re-purpose their internal drives for my computers. The problem is that they are set to not spin up when power is first applied but rather wait for a command from the SATA controller to spin up. I have studied the issue extensively on the internet and tried at least 3 different programs to fix this. HDPARM a linux based program has said it turned off the PUIS. power up in standby. But it has not. Also tried HDAT2 but it doesn't seem to boot the computer with all the options to change the desired setting in the firmware. Sometimes this power up in standby setting is set with jumpers but the drives have no jumper pins. If anyone has been successful fixing this on a Dish receiver SATA hard drive I sure would like to know how you did it.
Michael
Sell the receivers on eBay then buy a brand new hard drives. You'd be much better off and be able to get something that does not have custom firmware.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have already removed the drive so they are not pristine. For me it is just the challenge of accomplishing it. Now I am on a mission.
Michael

After reading the last post above this one, other than publishing a pedantic post, I see no point to the original post if all responses have no merit to the OP. Please feel free NOT to let us know how this all turns out ;). Now, back to my coffee.

What is it that you are so unhappy about? I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully got one of these drives unlocked from having the start up in standby set. I have been a member for sometime now, and haven't posted for a while, but never gotten a rather negative albeit nasty response. There seems to be a lot of unhappy people invading forums these days and it is sad that a potentially very useful tool has become a sounding board for unhappy people. I hope DishSubLA does not represent the typical poster on Satelliteguys.
Michael

What is it that you are so unhappy about? I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully got one of these drives unlocked from having the start up in standby set. I have been a member for sometime now, and haven't posted for a while, but never gotten a rather negative albeit nasty response. There seems to be a lot of unhappy people invading forums these days and it is sad that a potentially very useful tool has become a sounding board for unhappy people. I hope DishSubLA does not represent the typical poster on Satelliteguys.
Michael
No, he does not. Every board has it's "characters". Just shrug it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts