Same Ole Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I find a channel I want to watch. I enter the FR (Ku usually) into the Qauli TV and get no signal or an intermittent one that won't lock or scan. I unhook the LNB from the splitter and switch and go direct into the receiver and boom, I've got a 71% signal, it locks and the reception is great. What I don't understand is once I get the signal locked and scanned I re hook the LNB through the splitter, switch and back into the receiver and everything is fine. This happens on C band every now and then but is an everyday occurrence on Ku. I have 8 PBS channels stored on the Ku side and don't have any problems when I want to watch them. I have installed new splitters and switch within the last year and everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. Does any one have any ideas why this is happening?

bad cable somewhere between the splitter and the receiver
bad diseqc switch maybe?

Jim I hope you unplug the Q when disconnecting the cable ;)

signal amounts?

Since you got PBS so well, and I imagine it comes in very strong there like it does here on the new bird, I wonder if its the signal strength goofing it? Is the Quali=tv one that only works well with a very strong signal? Since I don't have one I never paid much attention to those threads, just a thought....

How are you connected?
-4DTV --Splitter---DiSEqC Switch---Quali----Loop Thru----Traxis
-4DTV --Splitter---DiSEqC Switch---Traxis----Loop Thru----Quali
-some other way

Is it only the Quali?
Can you try the Traxis to see if it does the same?

I have the LNB going to the splitter then to the switch then to the Quail. The 4DTV is fed off the switch. The Traxis from the splitter to a different switch . I don't have any problems with either of them.

Lak, what is this "loop thru" you mentioned?

Tony, I have changed and switched cables until my finger were sore and I was blue in the face.

I want to ride this out until we get to the new house and the when I install it there I am going to do it from scratch like I just got it.

I

Lak, what is this "loop thru" you mentioned?

Jim
Most receiver have a loop out option that allows you to hook a 2nd receiver up. This allows 2 receivers to be hooked up to one cable (works great with single LNB setups) On the "main receiver" you would hook a cable to a 2nd receiver and that 2nd receiver gets the same polarity channels as the main receiver. But since you have a C-Band LNB and a 4DTV all other receivers are slaved anyways.

I think I am having a servo motor problem. The wires are brittle and I think they have a short somewhere. I touched one of the wires to move it and I could here the motor turn on. If I can touch it and it moves, then do you think the wind could cause it to move? This came up after we had a windy day last week. As of right now everyhing is working fine on both receivers.

My thanks to everyone who replied.

when adding removing switches its best to power off the receiver with the switch on back. Otherwise you can fry items like switches (done that numerous times), LNB's or even a receiver

so it wasnt tongue in cheek. It was just a valid question. But since Jim has been here for a while that is why I did the ;) option

I am pretty sure that the servo wire is the problem. I was watching PBS for about
20 minutes with no problem, then the video started tiling, I went out and jiggled the wire in question and when I came back in the video was perfect again. Tomorrow I am going to take it off, crack it open and replace the wires. It's been out the for 15 years, so I guess I can't complain.

DJ I just tried that 4130V signal for fun, and I get a 71 on it too, but the quality seems to jump around a bit 35-45, I messed with the dish position and the skew both, and very little movement of skew and it loses the signal totally. Must just be a weak one, I usually get great c-band on this 10' sami.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)