Same sat - Good and bad reception?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bill190

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Why is it that with the same satellite (raining and cloudy outside), I will get some channels OK, yet other channels are all garbled up? This is with a 76 cm Ku dish in Oregon.

Are some TP's on some satellites less powerful than others?
Or could it be that certain TP frequencies get through the clouds/rain better than others?

Sorry I did not have time to get the specific satellite/channels/TP's, etc., I'm doing a lot of home video work, running wires, moving my big dish, etc., so just testing things right now. I'll get the specifics next time I notice this.

On some satellites, some transponders are a lower power than others. Say on G10, 11720 is usually the low one. They have improved recently on this one, but i the past, 11720 would be low, and would get interference from the bird next door, yet the other tp's on G10 would be good. Maybe this is the case with your situation?

some transponders are just lower signal for some odd reason. Mainly it could be due to interference from an adjacent satellite (in which a larger dish helps) but some are just low.

The FEC (Forward Error Correction) rates can also affect quality, some have more error correction data than others. The more error correction data, the smaller the dish you can get by with for reception.

There are other factors as well, such as footprint VS where you live, what size receive dish the originating signal is targeted for, etc.

Type of cable, bad connectors and moisture in cables can also cause problems at some frequencies. In general I have found that the higher the frequency, the more problems from bad connections, connectors, switches, corrosion etc..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)