Same spotbeam..2 different TP signals

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
How is this possible?

When I had Dish before, my locals were split on 110 TP 2,8,10 (6 channels along 3 TP)'s and they all read 120-125. The spotbeam covered all of MN, most of IA and part of Nebraska.

Now that I have Dish back, the locals have moved to spotbeam 28 E10 TP4 & 12
TP4 is Minneapolis locals
TP12 is Duluth locals

same spotbeam

TP4 reads 103-105
TP12 reads 76-80

I am in Minneapolis...Yes I "moved" when I set up equipment :)

Is that possible that one TP on the spotbeam reads much higher? I thought the spotbeam had the same footprint

Your readings can be different for Minneapolis and Duluth because although both cities use spotbeam 28, they use different transponders which operate at different frequencies.

Clancy said:
Your readings can be different for Minneapolis and Duluth because although both cities use spotbeam 28, they use different transponders which operate at different frequencies.

I figured that much but when the locals were on the old spotbeams (2,8,10) all 3 spotbeams were the same signal. These aren't

Perhaps a Manufacturing defect or an unbalanced saturation level of the uplinks. The same problem seems to exist in other spotbeams.

Last edited:
Here is something weird...went to the cabin (about 30 miles from Duluth) and both TP's read 114

so there might be an issue with TP12 then :(

Iceberg said:
How is this possible?

When I had Dish before, my locals were split on 110 TP 2,8,10 (6 channels along 3 TP)'s and they all read 120-125. The spotbeam covered all of MN, most of IA and part of Nebraska.

Now that I have Dish back, the locals have moved to spotbeam 28 E10 TP4 & 12
TP4 is Minneapolis locals
TP12 is Duluth locals

same spotbeam

TP4 reads 103-105
TP12 reads 76-80

I am in Minneapolis...Yes I "moved" when I set up equipment :)

Is that possible that one TP on the spotbeam reads much higher? I thought the spotbeam had the same footprint

Oh yes....It is....Here in the Charlotte,NC DMA lil were TX'ed off 119 tp 5..115 120 sig strength..
Those locals are now bouncing off the 110 location and the tp's are all in the 70' and 80's....i noticed this and if a customer happens to be nearby when i check signal strength some ask why the "weak" signals..I just let them know thta Dish is putting out the maximum signal possible and the bar is reading all the signal the receiver is going to get...

dishcomm

I understand your situation but mine is different. I know when locals moved satellites they may have different readings :)

How come the same spotbeam is giving 2 different readings (TP4 is 100+ and TP12 is 75) when they have the same footprint?

Iceberg said:
dishcomm

I understand your situation but mine is different. I know when locals moved satellites they may have different readings :)

How come the same spotbeam is giving 2 different readings (TP4 is 100+ and TP12 is 75) when they have the same footprint?
just ran thru spotbeams on 110
tp-4 sig75-80
tp18 sig85-90
tp20 80-85
tp26 95-100
tp27 55-60 ( not even sure if they use this one)
tp29 80-85
At this point, yer guess is as good as mine...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)