Sami 10ft questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

macgod79

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Nc
hey guys i have a couple questions for u sami owners.First i have my pole 6 foot above the ground as i wanted to be sure when it swings west and east i have enough ground clearance. Is that gonna be enough? Next and this is a big one,where do you attach the arms for the lnb at? i bought it home disassembled so i have no idea where they go. do u guys think this will pickup better than my 69.99 wsi special? ill post some pics later as i just poured quikrete in the hole.

We put 10ft dishes on 4 ft (above ground) poles, so you should have plenty room with 6 ft above ground. On the 4ft, with the dish at its far east or west, they were still about a foot plus off the ground. Remove actuator and drop it all the way, would maybe just touch the grass.
Dish center to lip =5 ft, but it's also tipped back 30+ degrees at Zenith.
Will it work better than an economical 6 ft? I think my answer has to be: Easily.
>> Sami Manual <<

Thanks i figured it would work better just because the mount itself is just so much sturdier. Hope i can get the s2 signals better now. Wouldd i be better off getting a dedicated ku dish or use the 6 footer just for ku band?

thanks fat air for the manual. i still can't see how to attach arms and where. anyone have a clue?

I didn't look at the manual, just had the link, and checked that it was still valid. Would'a thought it would have been in there. (??)
For mounting the legs, there's no holes through a few(4) ribs? As for what to use for KU, Think that's a personal choice determined by what works well enough for you. Think it's been said many times that the SAMI's do a good job on Ku. Might have to do a little experimentation. Think a 1m offset may out perform a 6 ft prime by a bit. Mainly because `the Ku LNBF's match the offset dish better. (*that's just opinion, no personal knowledge) I personally like offset Ku dishes. Less work getting them to perform. And not using a dual band LNBF, which is a compromise* in the first place. Unless you have a dual band ortho, which I'd put on the SAMI. Neverless, S2 performance will be much improved. I get it all with my 10 ft. and a C band LNBF.
PM truckracer, he's got a 10 ft SAMI. found pictures that may help http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/162485-10-ft-sami-free.html

thanks fat i seen a picture that showed me where they go.Thanks Bunches, i can't wait til tomorrow when i can finish it.

Mine has holes in the places where the lnb supports attach, you shouldn't have to drill any holes. As for ku, my 10 sami easily ties ku performance with any ku-only offset, but since I already had several 1m and .90 offset channel master dishes I decided to keep using them for ku. Mind you-those comparisons were done awhile ago, before the S2 stuff started being used, and some of those do require a lot of signal to lock properly (bigger dish would likely be better).

10' sami with ortho feed.
behind the sami is my recent addition. a 10' channel master. the channel master is c band only for the moment. i would like to have another ortho feed horn.

i may get a cheap dmx 741 or bsc 621 even though i am not impressed with ku on the lnbfs after using an ortho or corotor

Attachments

• image-3958236643.jpg
    image-3958236643.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 180
  • image-2742994681.jpg
    image-2742994681.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3329916287.jpg
    image-3329916287.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 158
  • image-767479668.jpg
    image-767479668.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-2263086620.jpg
    image-2263086620.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Which way does the lnb arms attach. My dish is so tall now and I have to use a ladder and I hope I do it right the first time. Can u put up a pic of the arm assembly?

Which way does the lnb arms attach. My dish is so tall now and I have to use a ladder and I hope I do it right the first time. Can u put up a pic of the arm assembly?

I don't have a SAMI but a lot of the mesh dishes I have installed have a round hole on the end that attaches to the dish, and a slotted hole on the end that attaches to the scalar.

That gives you a little bit of adjustment for your scalar ring positioning.

Fat air explaine to me .I go to buy ortho feed but I like to setup the feed to 4 receivers.Now I have caparral c+ku corotor // plus and two ku dishs for t15 and hispansat and the c+ku and the two ku dishs go to all my four receivers.Are possibel to do the samething on the ortho feed .I have two zinwell 4x4+ quali tv 4x1 diseqc switch and four lnbs two ku and two c bands did I need samething more.One of my receivers vantage vt1 did have two s2 tuners.Thank you ok I have sami 8 ft dish

Last edited:
I figured out where they go but how does the scaler and feedhorn attach. Any good up close pics of it

Here is some pics. I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach this scaler ring. It's like it doesn't want to line up right. If someone could post a good pic of theirs I'd appreciate it

Attachments

• image-390242111.jpg
    image-390242111.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2382582584.jpg
    image-2382582584.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1495226535.jpg
    image-1495226535.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 122
just have to straighten out the arms there at the scalar. bolt it up, then measure from the scalar to the center of the dish to see if it's ~at your focal length. The feed should protrude a quarter to a half inch or so for the F/D. If that's OK, give it a go.

What I mean is the ends do they mount on the top or bottom? I can't get them to bolt up right cause they don't want to sit flat on the scaler

Top. Use large pliers to bend them flat to align nicely on the top of the scaler. But keep the focal length in mind as was mentioned. Otherwise readjust the struts to get it right.

Ok got it bolted finally lol, didn't know if I bent them if it would mess something up. So now how do I got measure to see if it's lined up correct. I didn't have this problem with the little dish, lol or the ladder!

here is what i did:

1. measure from the edge of the dish rim to the edge of the scalar ring. center the scalar ring with the bolts slightly loose until all three measurements are equal. lets say you end up with 64 inches from the edge of the scalar to the top, side and bottom of the dish.

2. now to make sure the scalar is aimed at the center. i used an angle finder and compared the degrees from the center metal plate on the dish to the front of the scalar ring. that will get you real close.

the number of degrees do not matter just make your numbers match. again, you may have to do a little bending and manipulation of the flattened feedhorn strut ends.

Thanks sounds good. Gonna try that now. My location is south mills nc. Which is the va nc state line I got it from a guy in va beach. How much is the elevation and such gonna be off? I figured it be all most the same as it was only 40 miles from the dishes original home. What do u guys think?

staticmap

Attachments

• image-3961907831.jpg
    image-3961907831.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1588312052.jpg
    image-1588312052.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 110
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)