Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
It's been a good year since I've been in sam's club. So as we're walking we get approached by a lady trying to sell us Directv hardcore. Once on told her we already have it, she asked us how we liked it? I said fine expect once the price skyrockets . Then she said there's refer a friend credits we can get. So I told her have a good night . I watched as she pitched to anyone that walked by.

It's been a good year since I've been in sam's club. So as we're walking we get approached by a lady trying to sell us Directv hardcore. Once on told her we already have it, she asked us how we liked it? I said fine expect once the price skyrockets . Then she said there's refer a friend credits we can get. So I told her have a good night . I watched as she pitched to anyone that walked by.
Same as you get at Best Buy, Costco, Menards ect.

That's their livelihood, so I hope she was pitching to anyone that was listening. I can't stand that sort of marketing, but it is effective.

That's their livelihood, so I hope she was pitching to anyone that was listening. I can't stand that sort of marketing, but it is effective.

Yes she got just about anyone to stop and listen to her pitch. The $200 sams gift card drew in people. She got us to stop. We already have Directv though. I applied for a job online and it was to sell Directv there but you had to meet at the office everyday before going to work. The guy who interviewed me flat out told me to lie to customers and tell them to get a Sams plus membership because they'd get a better deal with Directv. I didn't want to do that so I left halfway though my interview when he took off on me to go try and get sales.

This is the SmartCircle folks, run as fast as you can from them! Run forest run! They will promise you, the Moon, Mars and what ever it takes to get you to sign up, then you find out you have been scammed!!!!!

I sort of want to go to Costco and just drill them about their service, and follow it up with linked proof of inconsistencies while potential customers watch. Possibly even a Costco employee.

Remember ultimately in the end its someone doing their job and trying to put food on their table. Most will not know much about the product they sell, this is to be expected but honestly it like calling up and trying to talk to a CSR and the only things they have seen from the receiver that your calling about is whats on the script in front of them.

Many many... many people that work for the Satellite Companies or who sell satellite dont have satellite service themselves.

If one of these sales people don't know what they are talking about, don't get mad at them, they are just doing what they are taught, tell them have a nice day and keep on moving.

My wife HATES it when I go into the store and talk to these guys as I will pull out my card and then they ask me all kinds of questions about the product that they have been getting and didnt have the answer to. In fact a few times I have sold a DIRECTV or DISH subscriptions for them because I was there helping answer questions for the sales person. :)

When I was selling Dish, I had a phone number that was 1 digit off from the number that the Costco and SAMs club reps used to use and call in their sales.

All day long I would get random calls from various stores handing me sales.

Most of the reps I spoke with where lazy, they would give their sales ID and just hand the phone to the customer and make me do the entire sale.

Eventually they changed the number and the calls stopped.

Ha. DTV used 888-333-3474 when Dish started 800-333-3474. We would get calls from pissed off customers that wanted to cancel and go to Dish. Easiest advertising ever, but sure they did the same in return. They did get that number after Dish.

Yeah, they are just putting food on the table--by taking the food FROM YOUR table. That is what disingenuous, misleading, manipulative, insidious, and less than honest sales is, especially when, the product you get is NOT the product they told you about and for which making the sale at all costs allows for lies just to make the sale. They have very good product training, and they do know the product to a high degree. They also have excellent psychological training in how to manipulate people and succeeded in FOOLING a nice person into making sales for them without having to do the work themselves. They were having a good laugh at this nice person at their post sales meetings and social time at some bar for being so EASILY psychologically exploited for their deeds and commissions. I presume they offered a share of their commission to the nice person who did their work for them. That would be the ethical thing to do, but then again, no one is ethical on their side.

I was in sales, very tough sales, but never did I stoop to what the companies today require and what the employees willingly do, not for food on the table, but for the next iPhone. These are kids doing this work. I detested sales and found other work, something we all do when we have truly had our limit, or feel that what we are doing is WRONG. We can live with rude bosses and crazy management and less than ideal work conditions, but we can sleep well at night knowing we aren't doing something that we know is not right, but make excuses for doing it. Does anyone really believe any of those sales people CARE about the person they are selling to? It's all about the sale and they don't care if you have to chop off your finger to buy what they are selling.

The notion of "putting food on the table" is never an excuse for unethical or even immoral behavior that is also against the teachings of every World Religion, if you want the religious argument. I suppose the old WWJD logic could be employed: would Jesus work for one of these outfits? Or would Jesus be criticizing such companies for exploiting the employees so and would He hold the sales people themselves responsible for exercising their free will in making a poor choice and for them to go and put food on the table consistent with his teachings? I suppose this takes all those Funeral Home sales people off the hook, too? If it's all about my needs and desire, then their is no restraint in any human behavior.

Please, these sales folks are not on the horns of a dilemma faced by Jean Valjean, and we aren't wandering the bombed wasteland of Dresden, Berlin, Hiroshima, or Nagasaki. None of us HAVE to do this work, unless we find it profitable or fitting to the worst in our personalities. After all, these companies have a very high turnover and depend greatly on sales people RECRUITING new people to join these companies to sell these products, so LOTS of people are moving on from these companies every day, and that does NOT put food on the table. Sales people like those cited here often have great disdain for the "customer" they sell to. I've head it myself on many occasions. Now, where is Inspector Jarvert when you need him.

Remember ultimately in the end its someone doing their job and trying to put food on their table. Most will not know much about the product they sell, this is to be expected but honestly it like calling up and trying to talk to a CSR and the only things they have seen from the receiver that your calling about is whats on the script in front of them.

Many many... many people that work for the Satellite Companies or who sell satellite dont have satellite service themselves.

If one of these sales people don't know what they are talking about, don't get mad at them, they are just doing what they are taught, tell them have a nice day and keep on moving.

My wife HATES it when I go into the store and talk to these guys as I will pull out my card and then they ask me all kinds of questions about the product that they have been getting and didnt have the answer to. In fact a few times I have sold a DIRECTV or DISH subscriptions for them because I was there helping answer questions for the sales person. :)
This is the same approach I take when I see them.
A few of the local Costco D* one know me and ask questions when they see me, which is fine with me as long as it doesn't tie me up and keep me from getting my shopping done.
Otoh, I toy with some at Best Buy, letting them go thru their spiel till they figure out I already have it.

Yeah, they are just putting food on the table--by taking the food FROM YOUR table. That is what disingenuous, misleading, manipulative, insidious, and less than honest sales is, especially when, the product you get is NOT the product they told you about and for which making the sale at all costs allows for lies just to make the sale. They have very good product training, and they do know the product to a high degree. They also have excellent psychological training in how to manipulate people and succeeded in FOOLING a nice person into making sales for them without having to do the work themselves. They were having a good laugh at this nice person at their post sales meetings and social time at some bar for being so EASILY psychologically exploited for their deeds and commissions. I presume they offered a share of their commission to the nice person who did their work for them. That would be the ethical thing to do, but then again, no one is ethical on their side.

I was in sales, very tough sales, but never did I stoop to what the companies today require and what the employees willingly do, not for food on the table, but for the next iPhone. These are kids doing this work. I detested sales and found other work, something we all do when we have truly had our limit, or feel that what we are doing is WRONG. We can live with rude bosses and crazy management and less than ideal work conditions, but we can sleep well at night knowing we aren't doing something that we know is not right, but make excuses for doing it. Does anyone really believe any of those sales people CARE about the person they are selling to? It's all about the sale and they don't care if you have to chop off your finger to buy what they are selling.

The notion of "putting food on the table" is never an excuse for unethical or even immoral behavior that is also against the teachings of every World Religion, if you want the religious argument. I suppose the old WWJD logic could be employed: would Jesus work for one of these outfits? Or would Jesus be criticizing such companies for exploiting the employees so and would He hold the sales people themselves responsible for exercising their free will in making a poor choice and for them to go and put food on the table consistent with his teachings? I suppose this takes all those Funeral Home sales people off the hook, too? If it's all about my needs and desire, then their is no restraint in any human behavior.

Please, these sales folks are not on the horns of a dilemma faced by Jean Valjean, and we aren't wandering the bombed wasteland of Dresden, Berlin, Hiroshima, or Nagasaki. None of us HAVE to do this work, unless we find it profitable or fitting to the worst in our personalities. After all, these companies have a very high turnover and depend greatly on sales people RECRUITING new people to join these companies to sell these products, so LOTS of people are moving on from these companies every day, and that does NOT put food on the table. Sales people like those cited here often have great disdain for the "customer" they sell to. I've head it myself on many occasions. Now, where is Inspector Jarvert when you need him.
WOW ....
Are you OK ?
You seem to think that everyone of them are out to steal from you, I can assure you, that is Not the case.

I too have had jobs in High Pressure situations, which I believe these jobs are Not.
I too moved on but not everyone has another job waiting.

Reactions: Troch77
Remember ultimately in the end its someone doing their job . :)
Understood. But the issue with the folks is the length they go to make that happen. I don't mind they not being knowledgable about the product, but when they sell you something and what you get is totally different, that is something I have an issue with. I know of any folks who got signed up by these folks, they were promised 5 and 6 rooms at no extra charge and later come to find out they were only given 4 rooms. Also same folks were promised the Premier package at the Select package rate. Comments goes that Internet was included as well for a very cheap price. None of this were true. This is bait and switch and that is illegal

Ha. DTV used 888-333-3474 when Dish started 800-333-3474. We would get calls from pissed off customers that wanted to cancel and go to Dish. Easiest advertising ever, but sure they did the same in return. They did get that number after Dish.

Actually 888-333-dish was or is now owned by a former directv retailer in Cleveland.

They used to lie to people and say they where Dish, promise them an upgrade and switch them to Directv.

I actually own 888-dish-network and the people in Cleveland tried to steal it from me back in 2008

Actually 888-333-dish was or is now owned by a former directv retailer in Cleveland.

They used to lie to people and say they where Dish, promise them an upgrade and switch them to Directv.

I actually own 888-dish-network and the people in Cleveland tried to steal it from me back in 2008

Funny funny funny, we've been getting a string of these here lately. Pull up to install and the customer comes to us with "I thought I was just upgrading my system, I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing providers right now"

Funny funny funny, we've been getting a string of these here lately. Pull up to install and the customer comes to us with "I thought I was just upgrading my system, I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing providers right now"

The guy in Cleveland was sued by dish, so I'm sure they are not doing it.

Did the people who are saying they thought they where getting an upgrade seem dumb? Or easily confused?

I had a lady last week we sold directv to. She called in on a line we use specifically for Directv, we talked about Directv and she still called back after the installer showed up and thought she was getting dish.

Thank god I saved it, but this crap happens all the time.

Reactions: ChadT41
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)