Samsung BD-UP5000

TARDIS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Bangor, Maine
I was wondering if anybody had heard much about this dual format player. From what I've read, it seems that it is going to a better player then the LG-100 and their second generation dual format player the LG 200 which is also scheduled to come later this yearl. I was hoping that someone would know when the new Samsung player would hit the market. Also, I was not sure which forum to post this in b/c it supports both formats.

I think it looks real promising. I am selling my PS3 and going back to HD DVD only for now. If I get a player that supports Blu-ray, this would be the one. The MSRP is $999 and it's supposed to be released late Oct. / early Nov. I'll watch it and hope the street price goes well under $800 after the holidays.

HDGuru has the first review of the new Samsung Combo player. The article is copyrighted so I can't re-post here. The review is at:

http://hdguru.com/?p=184

Looks nice from the pics, and has some great specs:

- HDMI 1.3 connection

- Support for TrueHD and DTS-MA (through a firmware upgrade that will occur before or shortly after product launch)

- 720p/1080i/1080p output. 1080p can be selected as 24Hz or 60 Hz.

- Silicon Optix Reon scaler chip for SD upconversion

- optical, coaxial, & 7.1 analog audio output, in addition to HMDM 1.3

- Startup: 35 seconds from Power On to Splash screen; 25 seconds for either BD or HD DVD discs to load

- Ethernet connector for firmware updates and interactive content, BD-Java (BD-J) for Blu-ray and HDi for HD DVD

It certainly ups the bar for combo players. :)

Last edited:
Thanks,

I will have to keep open for when it can be pre-ordered. If anyone is interested LG is releasing a new version of their combo player which looks like it will be much better the the first (100) version. However, it still does not have the bells and whistles that the Samsung has on it.

I think it is a shame for the consumers that the movieland can't agree on a format. I think Samsung and LG are onto something. Now it won't matter which format wins or when.

Thanks again for the info. If anyone learns of a more specific launch date for the samsung player I would be interested in hearing about it.

Cheers

I think the LG 200 will be better, as it is BD-Live compatible (profile 2.0). The sammy is only profile 1.0 compatible. No dual video decoders to support profile 1.1 (picture in picture).

Of course, we'll have to wait and see when they are actually released. :)

I think the LG 200 will be better, as it is BD-Live compatible (profile 2.0). The sammy is only profile 1.0 compatible. No dual video decoders to support profile 1.1 (picture in picture).

Of course, we'll have to wait and see when they are actually released. :)

The LG 200 does not have an analog 7.1 output. My Sunfire receiver does not support HDMI so in order for me to be able to enjoy the new surround sound formats I will need the analog output. The Samsung one offers it. Also, the PIP feature is not as important to me. I rarely watch special features anyway and my understanding is that the PIP will be used for commentary tracks and such.

This is the one I've been waiting for. The HD-DVD playback is a bonus for me.

I have a still excellent Integra DTR 9.1 receiver I've had for almost a decade. It still cranks and gets the job done.

The Samsung has built in decoder for the new HD audio formats and 7.1ch out, so I'll be able to enjoy the new formats w/o buying a new receiver. Toss in the fact that it has HDMI 1.3 and is a dual format player, and you're left asking "What else could I need?"

I'm just hoping it lives up to my expectations. Hopefully it comes out soon.

Samsung has announed a delay in the release of their combo player. It was slated to be out this month, now it looks like it will be at least December.

I've read that the 5000 will hit final spec compliant (AKA 1.1) since it is 100% HD-DVD compliant. We'll see.

S~

I've read that the 5000 will hit final spec compliant (AKA 1.1) since it is 100% HD-DVD compliant. We'll see.

S~

I hope that you are right!! I have read speculation that the delay of the 5000 and cancelation of the BD-2400 is to allow them time to make sure 5000 is 100% compliant with both formats.

I received Crutchfield's recent mag. in the mail and it actually listed the BD-5000 for $800.00. However, you cannot actually order it. I called them out of curiosity about the listing and basically the mag. was printed prior to Samsung anouncing the delay.

Technically, I think it has to be "certified" before 11/1. But I don't have a link to that or to any "official" listing that explains the exact rules. But for all practical purposes, I'd expect it has to be "1.1".

This news story was posted on Edgenet on 10-24-2007 regarding the Samsung BD UP5000, I've included the link to the story and posted the info below. It is good news. Samsung's BD-UP5000 is on schedule for December - Engadget HD (Edgenet)

Samsung's first dual format player was supposed to hit the streets in October, but was delayed. Today, Samsung let us know that it'll be shipping from their factories in October and expects it to hit retailers shelves in December. It's also been confirmed that the BD-UP5000 will be Profile 1.1 "ready", and there are plans to release a firmware update in January of 2008 that will make profile 1.1 a reality. It's not surprising that the BDA has provided this loop-hole when we consider that the first Profile 1.1 title isn't expected till next year.

Well it's been over a month since I've last learned of any new information about this player. Has anyone else heard a recent update? I would think that if it is still expected to out in December that we should be hearing something anytime and that it should start showing up available for pre order at places like Amazon, B.B., C.C., etc. Any info would be nice. Thanks.

I gave up and bought the 1400.

The only clue I can find is that on Samsung's BluRay page, there is a Duo that appears in the dropdown menu when choosing a device. It does nothing and goes nowhere though.

It's coming January 15, 2008

In case anyone is interested, Amazon.com has the Samsung player avialable for pre-order and it is listing it for $799 and it states the player will be released on January 15. Christmas might be a few days late for me this year :D