Samsung H10 - Stand alone OTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techgeekwill

Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
Ok, here is the issue. Picked up an open box H10 from Best Buy on sunday. Although it was being sold as open box, it was brand new. I was going to use it instead of my D11 SD receiver.

The problem is that I live in a community (Apartments) that uses a distributed signal. They do not have an oval 3LNB dish, they only have a round dish. So HDTV from directv is out of the question. This really is not a big deal. I really only want the local channels for the fall season. So I can use the OTA functionality w/ and external antenna.

My question is....

Can the H10 be used to receive just SD channels using a Round dish, or is there no hope and should I just get a stand alone OTA receiver? The box is not activated, so I still need to register it.

Yes, you can use a H10/round dish to get core SD programming, as well as OTA, afaik, you do not have to subscribe the H10 to use the OTA tuners.

Last edited:
I know I can use it to receive regular SD channels w/o having the package.

I just wanted to know whether I needed a 3 LNB dish, or will the round dish suffice for SD.

I have a problem right now. Becuase I live in a multi-dwelling. The satellite dish isn't pointed to the correct satellite so I can only pick up 16/32 transponders. Although, before this wasn't a problem. I was able to watch SD on my D11 just fine. I am fighting with BDR Broadband who controls the equipment at my complex to see if they can re-aim the dish, but it doesn't look like it will work.

techgeekwill said:
I know I can use it to receive regular SD channels w/o having the package.

I just wanted to know whether I needed a 3 LNB dish, or will the round dish suffice for SD.

I have a problem right now. Becuase I live in a multi-dwelling. The satellite dish isn't pointed to the correct satellite so I can only pick up 16/32 transponders. Although, before this wasn't a problem. I was able to watch SD on my D11 just fine. I am fighting with BDR Broadband who controls the equipment at my complex to see if they can re-aim the dish, but it doesn't look like it will work.
The H10 can replace your D11 as a SD receiver for receiving the 101 signal. But your provider can't reaim their dish so you can receive signals from 101/110/119. They would have to replace the dish and go to very expensive band stacking just so you can receive HDTV:(

boba said:
The H10 can replace your D11 as a SD receiver for receiving the 101 signal. But your provider can't reaim their dish so you can receive signals from 101/110/119. They would have to replace the dish and go to very expensive band stacking just so you can receive HDTV:(

No no, I don't want a new dish so that I can receive D* HD signals. It is just that my H10 will not see all 32 transponders.

which ones are missing?

the setup should work fine.
you should have all 32 from the 101 (you may see a 0 on 4, 8, 12 and a few random others)

are you missing all the evens or all the odds?

I am missing all the even ones. The strange thing is that right now, I have my D11 hooked up, and I can pick up all 32 with a couple saying 0. On the H10, the evens just say "n/a".

all evens usually indicates a multi switch issue. however theres a couple of things to look at on your system
first off, they say n/a instead of 00.
second its a "bulk" subscriber. So it could be a stacked/unstacked issue.

First off. If you have a splitter installed, remove it to test. Check signal again. If that solves it, then try a new splitter, or find yourself a 3x4 multiswitch.
Second, somewhere in the system menu there should be a "stacked" or "unstacked" lnb setting. Change it to whichever one its not currently on.

See if either one of those solves the issue.

boba said:
Or possibly that is why that receiver was an open box.

Actually, the tuner was brand new from what I could tell. The wrapping around the actual receiver was still taped from the factory, so I doubt this.

thankyouforcallingdtv said:
all evens usually indicates a multi switch issue. however theres a couple of things to look at on your system
first off, they say n/a instead of 00.
second its a "bulk" subscriber. So it could be a stacked/unstacked issue.

First off. If you have a splitter installed, remove it to test. Check signal again. If that solves it, then try a new splitter, or find yourself a 3x4 multiswitch.
Second, somewhere in the system menu there should be a "stacked" or "unstacked" lnb setting. Change it to whichever one its not currently on.

See if either one of those solves the issue.

I tried with and w/o a splitter. Same thing. I hooked up the D11 with the splitter, and that sees all 32 transponders w/ only a few reading 0.

I spoke to someone at the company who manages the dish and all the wiring at the complex. He agrees that it sounds like a switching issue. The Tech is coming out monday to take a look at the distribution.

Does anyone know of a way to bypass the "Guided Setup" to get to the main Menu's? It only starts up in Guided setup.

run it thru guided setup completely. at the signal meter page, let it load up completely all 32 on 101, then hit continue. go all the way to the testing page.
101 may fail, tuner should be ok, choose more info, then "i'll fix later" and that will finish your setup.
it may or may not aquire the guide after that, but exit from the aquiring guide screen will get you to the menu.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts