Samsung KS8XXX calibration settings

rstark18

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
After getting this set (Costco 65KS800D) a few days ago I settled on these settings for calibrating the tv to the Hopper 3 . Anyone else have tweaked settings for watching content on a Hopper 3?
Picture Mode: Movie
Special Viewing Mode: Off
Backlight: 6 (Nighttime) 12 (Daytime)
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 95 (color cast at 96-100 using AVSHD test pattern)
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): G50/R50
Digital Clean View: Auto
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Smart LED: High
Film Mode: Auto1
HDMI UHD Color: On
HDMI Black Level: N/A
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm1
White Balance: Default (I don't have a colorimeter)
Gamma: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto

Reactions: charlesrshell
I got the 55 inch version in December. In wondering about calibration since I was coming from DLP (That was flawless) and not liking LCD, I found this:

That video reference is good for high quality sources but not from the lower res source of the Hopper (1080i). I find the settings in that video (and from rtings.com) give much too soft a picture.

That video reference is good for high quality sources but not from the lower res source of the Hopper (1080i). I find the settings in that video (and from rtings.com) give much too soft a picture.

Made mine look great for any source. OK for the highly compressed HwS signal. Only have to turn on HDR+ for that type of content. I like a film quality picture. I watch a lot of 4K and HDR from various sources and those settings work great. Hate the harsh digital edge and overall PQ that is so easy to get from LCD. But I have found that our 40" 5000 series that I got for the kitchen which took me 10 minutes of eyeballing to dial in, has a far better picture than the 8000 series. Also used rtings.com as a great reference also. Although as I said I'm coming from DLP that was flawless out of the box and didn't need calibration in the 8 years of use. I may be trying to emulate the picture that I got off my DLP. Which you can't beat. That's why DLP is what is being used in movie theaters now.

To each their own. I probably won't be happy until I go OLED. Too bad the space for this one is too small for any of my other DLP's. Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)