Samsung Moment for Sprint

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lothar27

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Kentucky
Does anyone have experience with this phone? I'm looking to switch to Sprint from T-Mobile due to T-Mobile's lack of 3G coverage in the area. Need an upgrade. I've always been a fan of Samsung's phones and was wondering how well the Moment worked. Have about a week before my contract with T-Mobile is up and would like some input.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have experience with this phone? I'm looking to switch to Sprint from T-Mobile due to T-Mobile's lack of 3G coverage in the area. Need an upgrade. I've always been a fan of Samsung's phones and was wondering how well the Moment worked. Have about a week before my contract with T-Mobile is up and would like some input.

Thanks in advance.

My wife has been using the moment for almost 1 month now and likes the phone. The only real complaint is the battery life.

My wife has been using the moment for almost 1 month now and likes the phone. The only real complaint is the battery life.
That's what I keep reading in all the customer reviews. I won't be using it much for internet or anything else that I can think of so that shouldn't be an issue for me. Will mainly be texting and making the occasional phone call.

You should still plan on putting it on the charger before you go to bed every night.
I do that with every phone I've had and never had any issues.

Does your wife like the apps that are available? How responsive is it as far as the touch screen goes? I've heard mixed reviews on that.

battery life is fine, it's the way the phone reads the meter, actually the way the samsung software interfaces with android is my best guess since the phone debug software seems to read it just fine.

If you go into the diag mode (hold green button, optical, while turning on, then hold green,optical, red until status bar turns yellow). you'll see the actual battery info.

I've had the phone since release day, I get 2 full days on a charge with MY normal usage, just have to get past the battery meter. I keep GPS, Wifi, data sync on all the time (Gps only called when requested by app). Also, it does seem to charge better on a lower ma output of a computer USB vs the .7ma of the included charger.

There is also a major update available only at sprint repair centers, it basically reloads the whole phone. It didn't completely fix the battery meter, but it did improve it. Seems to be more accurate until battery gets down to 50%
Also fixed the aGPS and keyboard lag.

I love my moment and at this point, I haven't found a droid phone I would even consider trading it for.

If you really want to read up on the battery/meter, checkout the dedicated moment forum over an phandroid
http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/

battery life is fine, it's the way the phone reads the meter, actually the way the samsung software interfaces with android is my best guess since the phone debug software seems to read it just fine.

If you go into the diag mode (hold green button, optical, while turning on, then hold green,optical, red until status bar turns yellow). you'll see the actual battery info.

I've had the phone since release day, I get 2 full days on a charge with MY normal usage, just have to get past the battery meter. I keep GPS, Wifi, data sync on all the time (Gps only called when requested by app). Also, it does seem to charge better on a lower ma output of a computer USB vs the .7ma of the included charger.

There is also a major update available only at sprint repair centers, it basically reloads the whole phone. It didn't completely fix the battery meter, but it did improve it. Seems to be more accurate until battery gets down to 50%
Also fixed the aGPS and keyboard lag.

I love my moment and at this point, I haven't found a droid phone I would even consider trading it for.

If you really want to read up on the battery/meter, checkout the dedicated moment forum over an phandroid
Samsung Moment - Android Forums
I wonder if the battery meter fix as well as the keyboard lag and GPS issues have been done at the factory by now since I'll be getting a brand new phone a couple months after release. Might have to research that a bit. Didn't know about those issues. Thanks.

It was just released on 1/15, so I would bet there are plenty of the old ones in boxes still out there.

It's not android 2.1 yet, but it's a very good 1.5 setup. 2.1 is confirmed for the first half of this year.

The way I look at it right now for Sprint and the android phones is this. If you don't mind using an on screen keyboard go with the Hero. If you want a real keyboard then go with the moment. They are both very good phones as these are the two that my wife and I own. I like the Hero better but the on screen keyboard does not bother me. I actually think it is one of the best that I have ever used. I really like how you can calibrate the keyboard for yourself.

SatinKzo - Thanks for the info on the Moment update. I think I might take my wife's phone to the Sprint store Tuesday to get the update.

for sprint the hero is cool moment is vanilla android with the keyboard. both are nice I have a hero. But if T-moblie would have 3g in my area I would get a nexus

I had the hero for a bit too and it's a really nice phone, I can't deny that. The on-screen keyboard is one of my favorite implementations of one.

I just had a couple bad phones and decided to stick with the Moment. I honestly would be happy with either, but I really enjoy the real keyboard and that was what sealed the decision for me.

Jag. Make sure it's a sprint repair center, the normal sprint stores don't do the update from what I understand. Also, back up the phone, the phone gets completely wiped for this update. I don't think it has to be, but to avoid conflicts, they factory reset it so they all start from the same spot is what I gather.

for sprint the hero is cool moment is vanilla android with the keyboard. both are nice I have a hero. But if T-moblie would have 3g in my area I would get a nexus

I wouldn't touch a Nexus with a 10 foot poll right now. There are just to many issues with it right now.

It was just released on 1/15, so I would bet there are plenty of the old ones in boxes still out there.

It's not android 2.1 yet, but it's a very good 1.5 setup. 2.1 is confirmed for the first half of this year.
Would there be any way to tell if I received one of the phones with the update after I got it? Not that I'll be returning it afterward unless something is defective, I just like to know these things. :D

As far as which version of android I'll have, that doesn't concern me being that this will be my first smartphone and I don't see the big deal between having 3 home screens or 5. I'm sure 3 will be more than enough.

The physical keyboard is what made the decision for me when I was researching phones. I just like being able to physically push something down with my big thumbs.

lothar
Menu->Settings->About Phone

Should have a baseband version CJ14 is the update. CJ05 is the original build

lothar
Menu->Settings->About Phone

Should have a baseband version CJ14 is the update. CJ05 is the original build
I'll definitely check that out once I get the phone.

The android forums are great as far as info I haven't read yet. Thanks for the link earlier.

I bought the Moment a couple weeks ago and love it. I originally went to get the Hero because of the HTC sense, but decided on the Moment because of the keyboard. I bought it at Best Buy and they said I could return it within 30 days if I wanted to get the Hero instead, but I cannot live without the keyboard. There are some things I would have liked with HTC better, but I can live without them.

As for the screens, I downloaded Open Home which has 7 screens. It also has a battery meter on it. I am still learning about the phone, but I really like it so far.

So I got the Moment today and I'm extremely pleased with the performance so far. The touch screen was a bit finicky at first, but it seemed to get a lot more responsive the more I used it. It came with the new update and when I registered it on Samsung.com it told me the manufacturing date was the 14th of this month. Keyboard has no lag that I can tell, but I'm really gonna need to get used to a full qwerty.

Tested out the GPS for a bit, was never far off from where I was. Connected to my wireless router through the wifi setting and it seemed to make web browsing a bit faster, but I had to turn that feature off to download anything from the Android Market. No big deal there.

Transferred some mp3 files from my computer and was suprised at how well the speaker sounded to me. I wasn't expecting it to be cd quality being a phone, but it sounded quite close to the quality of my built in computer monitor speakers. Have heard mixed reviews about the quality, but I don't have any issued with it. It's a phone not a home theater.

Call quality is excellent. Everyone on the other end of my calls said I sounded a lot more clear than I did with my old phone. They all sounded better to me also. Haven't tried the speaker phone yet.

Only real issue I have is with the voice dialing. The program that comes with the phone is either horrible, or I can't speak english. I'd try to tell it to call my girlfriend and it kept telling me either how many signal bars I had or some other such nonsense I could actually read on the LCD screen. The option it has to try and "learn" my voice didn't work either.

Overall I'm happy with my choice. Hope this might help someone who's been thinking about getting this phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)