Samsung SIR-TS160, Need Access Card(s) for OTA setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

randomq

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Just bought a Samsung SIR-TS160 (and a Hughes HTL-HD) for OTA HD and cable reception. I have previously experimented with a Fusion HDTV USB 2.0 receiver, but wanted something simple to give to less technical friends/family.

The Hughes unit can be set up for Cable/Antenna without a satellite card or signal, but the Samsung gets stuck in a setup menu without an access card... Can someone point me to some inexpensive DirecTV access cards? I don't *think* they have to work, or even be recent/usable cards, but I'm not sure. I guess it'd be good to try a few different types of card to see what will work.

I'm also considering pointing a dish towards 101 long enough to upgrade the firmware on these boxes, and to see if the EPG will work without a subscription. I really need to get a USALS setup!

After getting both units working I plan to do a review of each, time permitting.

Oh well, no responses. I guess I'll take my chances on eBay. :-/

Make sure and leave the HTL on one of the directv free preview channels. I could not get my HTL to take an upgrade until I left it on a sat channel when I turned it off for the night. It has worked great since then. Don't know much about the samsung

Can someone point me to some inexpensive DirecTV access cards?
Do you know anyone with D* ?? A neighbor, relative, etc ?? See if they've got an old receiver in the garage or closet.

I don't *think* they have to work, or even be recent/usable cards, but I'm not sure.
They do NOT have to be valid or current cards. In fact, I wonder if any ISO-compliant smartcard would work. There's a laundromat here in town that uses smartcards for the washers and dryers. You put money in a card-dispenser that loads a $$ balance on the card. The cards are the same type that D* or E* use.
I'm also considering pointing a dish towards 101 long enough to upgrade the firmware on these boxes, and to see if the EPG will work without a subscription.
What EPG ?? If you mean the local channels that your antenna will pick up, you'll get the EPG via PSIP data sent by the stations. No subscription necessary.

By the way, I have the same box. No D* subscription either.

Samsung SIR-TS160 need help

Just bought a Samsung SIR-TS160 (and a Hughes HTL-HD) for OTA HD and cable reception. I have previously experimented with a Fusion HDTV USB 2.0 receiver, but wanted something simple to give to less technical friends/family.

The Hughes unit can be set up for Cable/Antenna without a satellite card or signal, but the Samsung gets stuck in a setup menu without an access card... Can someone point me to some inexpensive DirecTV access cards? I don't *think* they have to work, or even be recent/usable cards, but I'm not sure. I guess it'd be good to try a few different types of card to see what will work.

I'm also considering pointing a dish towards 101 long enough to upgrade the firmware on these boxes, and to see if the EPG will work without a subscription. I really need to get a USALS setup!

After getting both units working I plan to do a review of each, time permitting.

I bought one also and can not get past any menu. It scans for Direct TV does not find it, when I go tosetup it tells me I need an access card to go one. I just want to get the OTA channels. Any help would be appreciated.
My Zoom boxes will not tune in PBS. My Hauppauge ATSC tuner does. I was hoping the samsung would. harry.samuel@bigfoot.com

Do you know anyone with D* ?? A neighbor, relative, etc ?? See if they've got an old receiver in the garage or closet.

They do NOT have to be valid or current cards. In fact, I wonder if any ISO-compliant smartcard would work. There's a laundromat here in town that uses smartcards for the washers and dryers. You put money in a card-dispenser that loads a $$ balance on the card. The cards are the same type that D* or E* use.
What EPG ?? If you mean the local channels that your antenna will pick up, you'll get the EPG via PSIP data sent by the stations. No subscription necessary.

By the way, I have the same box. No D* subscription either.

The Regular ISO Smartcard wont work, it has to be a Directv Card, different asic on the chip. As for buying a card on ebay, you can no longer just buy a card on ebay, ebay shuts thoses auctions down. You would have to buy a receiver with a card in it. As for that samsung for ota, you can turn off the satellite portion and use that receiver without a dish pointed at 101 and without a smartcard, there is a way to do this in the menu's.

the samsung sir-ts360, sir-ts160 and the rca dtc210 directv receivers seem to need a card to set to "no dish".

could call a local directv dealer and see if they could help tell them all you need to do is set the receiver to "no dish".

As for that samsung for ota, you can turn off the satellite portion and use that receiver without a dish pointed at 101 and without a smartcard, there is a way to do this in the menu's.
I own a Samsung/DirecTV receiver that I used for OTA only and you do NEED a card to get into the setup menu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)